Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2014, 08:51 AM   #821
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
I guess my question ultimately is: if you were buying a TV that would be used for 75% sports and 25% movies/misc. TV, would you avoid the ST60 series...and if so, what is the better choice? I don't play video games so input lag is a nonissue, and the room is light controlled so glare is also not an issue.

TIA
I think the ST60 or plasma will be better for sports viewing. I wouldn't have any concern buying it for its performance. The only thing is that it's hard to find ST60 for sale and thus the price seems kind of high at $2500.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:57 PM   #822
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, so much for buying a new tv just before the Olympics and watching them in glorious 240hz.

New Sony 55W900A crapped out today. 2 weeks to get the new one in...should be right around when the Games finish.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:59 PM   #823
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My wife actually wants to buy an 80" TV!
Should probably have posted this in wrmmh!
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:20 PM   #824
Tyler12
Backup Goalie

Exp:

^ Just think about watching what she wants! Just in twice the size!
Tyler12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:02 PM   #825
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Thanks Deb. You made my day.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:16 AM   #826
Wr3ck3d
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I've mounted my own TV's in the past but looking to have a professional install with the wiring hidden since it is in my main floor living room... anyone have any suggestions for someone who can provide these services?
Wr3ck3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:17 AM   #827
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wr3ck3d View Post
I've mounted my own TV's in the past but looking to have a professional install with the wiring hidden since it is in my main floor living room... anyone have any suggestions for someone who can provide these services?
Visions did my basement, but they were hired by the guy who developed it before I bought. It was 5.1 wired.

After the flood KO'd my basement I wired it myself, but I had the studs exposed so it was very easy.

What are you looking to do? A simple wall mount? Wires run throughout he wall?

To be honest wiring a home theatre through the wall is dead simple, but if you have to dig behind the walls for long distances I would get a quote.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:11 AM   #828
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am not sure if this goes in here but I am looking for some media storage for all of my Bluray/DVDs. Can anyone recommend a place? I've tried Ikea, Staples, Visions etc. but I haven't been able to find much.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:23 AM   #829
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
I am not sure if this goes in here but I am looking for some media storage for all of my Bluray/DVDs. Can anyone recommend a place? I've tried Ikea, Staples, Visions etc. but I haven't been able to find much.
You're looking for physical storage for movie cases and whatnot or are you looking to rip your collection of movies to a hard drive?
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:26 AM   #830
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komskies View Post
You're looking for physical storage for movie cases and whatnot or are you looking to rip your collection of movies to a hard drive?
Physical storage. I'd like some shelving that doesn't take up a huge amount of space depth wise. I have a lot of movies and my old one has seen better days and is too small.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:33 AM   #831
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

I bought 6 of these in black

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/pr...%3Emw%3Efooter

I then attached all 6 together. They look decent and enable me to adjust the shelf sizes so they fit the DVD's and blurays without looking out of place. I have around 500 dvd's and blurays and was able to fit them all and have space left over
Old 02-24-2014, 09:55 AM   #832
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

The best place to look is Kijiji. There're tons of storage shelves in different configuration and dimention.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:33 AM   #833
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
I bought 6 of these in black

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/pr...%3Emw%3Efooter

I then attached all 6 together. They look decent and enable me to adjust the shelf sizes so they fit the DVD's and blurays without looking out of place. I have around 500 dvd's and blurays and was able to fit them all and have space left over
I saw these and wasn't a huge fan although being able to expand the size of it is kind of nice. How did you attach them together?
Old 02-24-2014, 12:46 PM   #834
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
I saw these and wasn't a huge fan although being able to expand the size of it is kind of nice. How did you attach them together?
I just levelled them all on solid ground then put a few screws through the top and bottom of each that touched each other. It is very sturdy and once they are together it actually looks very organized
Old 03-09-2014, 11:26 PM   #835
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone have any recommendations for TV wall mounts? This is the first time I'll be doing this, so I've never really thought about it. I'd like to get a mount that's relatively row profile, and that tilts up/down (don't really need left/right). It will be going into a recessed wall.

Are the Monoprice mounts good? Or is there something comparable I can just get in town?
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:06 AM   #836
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Anyone have any recommendations for TV wall mounts? This is the first time I'll be doing this, so I've never really thought about it. I'd like to get a mount that's relatively row profile, and that tilts up/down (don't really need left/right). It will be going into a recessed wall.

Are the Monoprice mounts good? Or is there something comparable I can just get in town?
I gave 3 Sanus mounts and they are all well made and very low profile. Bestech carries some monoprice mounts...http://bestechonline.com/category.php?id_category=16. iHomePro has all sorts of good stuff...http://www.ihomepro.ca/dealer/pc/LCD-MOUNTS-c120.htm. Costco carries a couple as well.

Last edited by J Diddy; 03-10-2014 at 12:08 AM.
J Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J Diddy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2014, 10:07 AM   #837
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've used several Monoprice mounts now and have always been happy with them. Very good build quality. Would recommend for sure.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:54 PM   #838
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

I bought this mount for $49 at Christmas for a 65" Panasonic Plasma. It is very good build.

Now the mount itself isn't on sale, but this package is actually not a bad deal, since the mount itself is $100. It it low profile, has tilt, plus swivel (good for vertical alignment). The screws are good quality too, many come with cheap screws that strip the heads off.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...bfa4769986en02

Totally would buy this one again, and is probably about the same as Monoprice, but you can return to FS if it doesn't work.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:56 PM   #839
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'd like to get a mount that's relatively row profile,
Just a heads up, check where your tv's cooling fans are before going too low profile. After upgrading my TV I discovered my old mount doesn't quite allow for the recommended distance away from the wall for proper ventilation.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:28 PM   #840
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Biggest downside to monoprice wall mounts is that the shipping is quite a lot. It may negate any savings versus a regular store.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote