Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2018, 09:06 AM   #261
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I kinda wanna see United win the league just for the post-championship Mourinho presser. He might just trash talk every other club.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:06 AM   #262
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
I'm not even mad. Either that asshat finally coaches up the players he already has and has success, or the meltdown is in full swing and he's gone soon. I'm fine either way.
If I were in your shoes I'd agree.

Honestly, if you cant get the best out of guys like Pogba and Lukaku then STFU and GTFO.

I was reading the other day that it was considered that every team in the top 6 play fast attacking styles except for United who are slower and more defensive.

This is not a squad of chumps, as much as I dislike United, they're a really good team with exceptional players. They have weaknesses like every other team, but its not like they should have to tip-toe around anyone.

If anything this seems to emphasize that Mourinho's strengths appear to be at the press table as opposed to the dressing room.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2018, 09:08 AM   #263
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Everton, Fulham and West Ham have all had good windows as well, top half of the table should be a lot of fun to watch play out.
Yeah it's hard to say though. I mean last year the thought was that Everton had a great window and they were brutal. West Ham is West Ham, and hopefully they get relegated and put out of their misery.

Fulham and Wolves have spent a lot and have pretty good squads, but it remains to be seen how that plays out. The battle for them is basically to stay up and beat out teams like Bournemouth.

I was hoping Spurs would do more, and I can't say that I'm not disappointed. It's been a strange window though with the World Cup and seemingly not that many deals in general, save for some enormous ones. On one hand you have Ronaldo moving, and PL teams spending huge for keepers, but on the other hand even clubs like United with their enormous bank roll haven't done much.

The only solace I can take is that spending doesn't definitively mean success. We locked up Kane and Poch for the time being, and we clearly aren't pulling a Leeds!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:33 AM   #264
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
The only solace I can take is that spending doesn't definitively mean success. We locked up Kane and Poch for the time being, and we clearly aren't pulling a Leeds!
For the time being is the key word here. Spurs fans should probably be the biggest United supporters this year, because I strongly suspect if Mourinho does walk the plank, Poch will be replacing him, with Kane likely out the door shortly after.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:38 AM   #265
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
For the time being is the key word here. Spurs fans should probably be the biggest United supporters this year, because I strongly suspect if Mourinho does walk the plank, Poch will be replacing him.
I can't even disagree with that. I had seriously high hopes a couple months ago when we extended Pochettino and signed Kane longer term. I thought that this was going to be an amazing window where we could sell a couple players who were kind of done with Spurs (Rose, Alderweireld, Dembele, and if dreams came true Sissoko), and then add in some young, top tier talent to contend. A good CM, CB and at the outset someone like Sessegnon.

As things are though, Pochettino has worked wonders with a club that hasn't invested in players anywhere near to the extent of the other top clubs. I know that some of the United fans on here don't credit that as progress and think it's not a success, but it entirely is. Finishing top four three years in a row with the spending of Spurs just makes you wonder how good Poch would be with a club that spent to bring in top talent, and honestly if Spurs and Levy aren't going to do that there's only one way to find out.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:41 AM   #266
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I know that some of the United fans on here don't credit that as progress and think it's not a success, but it entirely is.
I don't think anybody here would disagree that Pochettino has done an outstanding job. The jabs against Spurs have nothing to do with him, but with the club's apparent lack of "ambition". And look, you're about to be the first PL club since 2003 to not sign a single player. Crazy stuff.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:43 AM   #267
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean even Chelsea with their extreme dysfunction and Europa League football managed to make some big signings. I suspect that Spurs are financially constrained after the stadium went over budget, so in that regard locking down Kane at least ensures they'll get full value when they inevitably sell him to pay off more stadium debt.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:52 AM   #268
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
I don't think anybody here would disagree that Pochettino has done an outstanding job. The jabs against Spurs have nothing to do with him, but with the club's apparent lack of "ambition". And look, you're about to be the first PL club since 2003 to not sign a single player. Crazy stuff.
I can't even say how much I hope they somehow win the league after signing no one though. I mean there's part of me as a fan that wants to see that, naturally. But there's another part of me that wants to see it purely for the comedy because know the knives will be out for Levy and ENIC in about ten minutes.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:16 AM   #269
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Crazy that United and Spurs couldn't close on any moves.

Everton had a good last half hour though IMO - got Yerry Mina, Bernard, and reportedly added Andre Gomes, and Kurt Zouma on loan too.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:27 AM   #270
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post

Everton had a good last half hour though IMO - got Yerry Mina, Bernard, and reportedly added Andre Gomes, and Kurt Zouma on loan too.
Wow....it'll be interesting to see how that pans out because the last time Everton splashed the cash they did a Belly Flop, but those are some good additions.

Again, United and Spurs didnt really need to add much, it just depends on what their goals are.

I keep seeing people saying that teams had to add to be able to compete with City to win the League, but who says thats even their goal? What if they sandbag the League and go hard after the Champions' League? Or the Cocoa Cup?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 08-09-2018, 10:29 AM   #271
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well City's second team is probably good enough to win the league, that said they really don't have to focus on UCL until February, and by that point they could have the league wrapped up as they did last year.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:37 AM   #272
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
For the time being is the key word here. Spurs fans should probably be the biggest United supporters this year, because I strongly suspect if Mourinho does walk the plank, Poch will be replacing him, with Kane likely out the door shortly after.
Youve been saying that for like 3 years mate... i know a broken clock is right twice a day but come on
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:49 AM   #273
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post

Bernard most interesting one there to me, him and walcott on either side could be really dangerous

The mina thing is kinda funny, some united fans are upset they didnt get him but before the world cup no one in england knew who he was

Barca made a 20m profit in 8 months and he only played for them 6x
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:56 AM   #274
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Bernard most interesting one there to me, him and walcott on either side could be really dangerous

The mina thing is kinda funny, some united fans are upset they didnt get him but before the world cup no one in england knew who he was

Barca made a 20m profit in 8 months and he only played for them 6x
I admittedly know little about Mina, but some people suggest he's a train-wreck defensively.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:15 AM   #275
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Leicester have signed Caglar Söyüncü.

Maguire, Evans, Söyüncü - not a bad CB lineup at all.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:42 AM   #276
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I can't even say how much I hope they somehow win the league after signing no one though. I mean there's part of me as a fan that wants to see that, naturally. But there's another part of me that wants to see it purely for the comedy because know the knives will be out for Levy and ENIC in about ten minutes.
And they absolutely should be. The supporters were sold a bill of goods as far as the stadium is concerned, IMO. Last year was supposed to be the difficult year because of playing at Wembley and we were supposed to see the fruits of the new stadium and some signings this year, and now I would not be surprised if the team finishes out of a CL spot this year.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2018, 11:45 AM   #277
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah as a Spurs fans it is pretty disappointing.

They are a CL team this year and quite frankly they don't have the squad depth to compete in the PL, CL, and the domestic cups. It's just not going to happen.

I saw the stat that they are the first PL league team since 2003 to not make a single transfer, but they have to be the first CL team EVER to not make a single change in the summer transfer window.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:46 AM   #278
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
And they absolutely should be. The supporters were sold a bill of goods as far as the stadium is concerned, IMO. Last year was supposed to be the difficult year because of playing at Wembley and we were supposed to see the fruits of the new stadium and some signings this year, and now I would not be surprised if the team finishes out of a CL spot this year.
Yeah, I can't say that I wasn't excited about "finally" being able to compete with everyone else in the market. We keep hearing things like "you need consistent CL football to get players" and then Chelsea gets Kovacic because apparently Europa is good enough. Or "once the new stadium is built we can adjust the wages and attract players", so the stadium is all but done and apparently the money came from elsewhere and savings, etc....and yet we have no one to show for it.

I am disappointed, but kind of just glad that games start in a couple days. I still think it's an excellent team (more than a little concerned about the midfield situation though), and hopefully everyone stays healthy for the entire season I suppose.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:50 AM   #279
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I am disappointed, but kind of just glad that games start in a couple days. I still think it's an excellent team (more than a little concerned about the midfield situation though), and hopefully everyone stays healthy for the entire season I suppose.
Except with the injuries we have, I'm all but expecting the typical August woes that put them behind the 8-ball every year. You can't win the league in August, but you can definitely lose it.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:56 AM   #280
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I still think Spurs are a Top 4 club. Its largely the same squad so if they prioritize the CL and the League and ditch the Caribou Cup they should still be okay.

I honestly dont think anyone has done enough to really change the order of last season other than maybe Liverpool's depth and Chelsea and maybe Arsenal because of the Europa.

Chelsea and Arsenal are the real wildcards in my opinion because they have the opportunity to throw the league into the wind and focus on the Europa league to get into the CL next season regardless of League position.