Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2016, 07:59 PM   #141
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Why did CPS add "Vigilance" to their motto?

Who are they watching?
para transit fellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 08:04 PM   #142
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

They don't tap when they attack.

(Fun Fact: Google image search for 'police magic the gathering' has Lethbridge police logo in the top results)

/nerd
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2016, 08:10 PM   #143
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I doubt you'll find many cultures where the color black is considered particularly friendly.
Some eastern cultures have an opposite view of black and white compared to us. White is the colour of death, sadness, funerals, while black is the colour of prosperity, health.

But I tend to agree that white is less intimidating in our culture so if I were choosing I'd pick white over black, and black is my favorite colour.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:08 PM   #144
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
I dunno about you but a cop dressed in all black is more intimidating than if they were dressed in drunk tank pink.
Montreal police wore these to protest pension reform, and it wasn't just for a day or two. It's been two years.

Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 09:47 PM   #145
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

I've just thought those were the uniforms for the last few months!
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 10:28 PM   #146
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
So why have police forces become more militarized in North America generally speaking? What has caused this?
I need to dig for the article I read a while back, but the thesis was that the militarization of US policing was a result of a deep trough of Homeland Security money combined with lots of military surplus gear being available post foreign entanglements.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 10:53 PM   #147
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
I need to dig for the article I read a while back, but the thesis was that the militarization of US policing was a result of a deep trough of Homeland Security money combined with lots of military surplus gear being available post foreign entanglements.
The main catch being free gifting of armored vehicles from the US military to police forces on the condition that the police forces have to use them. If they aren't used they have to be returned to the US military so that's why Mayberry Police have an APV that they love to trot out at public events and such.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:31 PM   #148
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Montreal police wore these to protest pension reform, and it wasn't just for a day or two. It's been two years.

Are they aware that Montreal is a largely Urban environment? So...camo isnt going to be particularly effective? I mean, unless they're pursuing a perp in a heavily forested environment. And that girl...unless shes hiding in a Japanese Blossom Garden her camouflage is having the opposite effect.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:40 AM   #149
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Has nothing to do with supply. White is just a harder color to paint.
I agree the supply probably doesn't matter. They are ordering these vehicles in bulk directly from Ford. They are not buying them "off a lot".

What does it matter if white is harder to paint? They are ordering these vehicles from the Factor to suite their needs. They are painted by robots anyway, do you know if there is a cost increase? If there is, it is probably minor. On Ford's website they list 19 different colour options for the interceptor.

https://www.ford.com/fordpoliceinter...ign/design_04/
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:54 AM   #150
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
I agree the supply probably doesn't matter. They are ordering these vehicles in bulk directly from Ford. They are not buying them "off a lot".

What does it matter if white is harder to paint? They are ordering these vehicles from the Factor to suite their needs. They are painted by robots anyway, do you know if there is a cost increase? If there is, it is probably minor. On Ford's website they list 19 different colour options for the interceptor.

Yeah, this "black is cheaper" seems like a bit of a dubious claim to me. Go to any car manufacturer site (including Ford) and configure a car. Black is not cheaper. It's almost always the same price for the same paint, and we all know a car manufacturer is going to wring every dollar out of you. If it's more expensive to paint it white, the price is going to go up.

They offer that white door/roof vinyl treatment with every colour on that Interceptor site.

As for white being "harder to paint", this ain't much in the way of evidence, but on every car show I've seen where a bunch of foulmouthed guys to build a car to meet some made-up deadline, black is the hardest color to paint. That could be different in a factory, of course. I don't know why, but it could be.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:03 AM   #151
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

It doesn't matter which is what I said in my previous post replying to someone who stated that as a reason.

There is no way this is a cost issue.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:15 AM   #152
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

"Of the lot" doesn't literally mean off a dealer lot, just the ones that they have already manufactured and can have delivered right away. If they want something other than black there's a waiting period and more costs involved
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:36 AM   #153
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
"Of the lot" doesn't literally mean off a dealer lot, just the ones that they have already manufactured and can have delivered right away. If they want something other than black there's a waiting period and more costs involved
Every cop car is specially made so why would they care about the color? They don't make cop cars until they're ordered.

A lot cheaper to make one from scratch that's customized than to rip apart a new one and specialize it.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 04:54 PM   #154
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Topical note on CPS cars over the years

https://www.facebook.com/notes/riley...64748463767249

Last edited by WhiteTiger; 11-03-2016 at 04:57 PM.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2016, 06:46 AM   #155
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Topical note on CPS cars over the years

https://www.facebook.com/notes/riley...64748463767249
While that was an interesting read, it didn't really address how some might feel the livery to be intimidating. Constable Babott made it clear that he does not feel intimidated by black cruisers but he failed to explain why others shouldn't either. There was interesting information about the history of liveries but I felt there was too much deflection (see: his answers to the aggressive look of handcuffs and black & white cars).
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 07:00 AM   #156
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addick View Post
While that was an interesting read, it didn't really address how some might feel the livery to be intimidating. Constable Babott made it clear that he does not feel intimidated by black cruisers but he failed to explain why others shouldn't either. There was interesting information about the history of liveries but I felt there was too much deflection (see: his answers to the aggressive look of handcuffs and black & white cars).
Perhaps try addressing it with him on the note. He's pretty good at responding to Facebook stuff, and is generally rather engaging (all the CPS "Facebook Constables" are, really).

To add a bit further, I learned during conversations about the cars and their decalling (and why are folks always just intimidated by the cars? Are the vans, SUV's and trucks not intimidating, too...just the cars? Is the addition of the front pushbar really that intimidating to people?) that the slogan "To Serve and Protect" isn't actually "The Policeman's Motto". This was from another post that Cst. Babott made:

"It has never been on our vehicles to my knowledge.
That is the motto of the LAPD that has been adopted by many other police forces but not by us as an official motto."
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 12:28 PM   #157
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know looking at one year statistics can be misleading but last night there was an officer involved shooting. It was the 8th one this year in Calgary compared to 3 last year. Alberta as a whole has seen 10 this year so that makes it 8 for Calgary, 2 for the rest of the Province. Not sure why the large jump in numbers this year and why so many more in Calgary. Of course it could just be a statistical anomaly and revert back to historical norms next year. Nevertheless interesting to observe.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 01:07 PM   #158
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Were also seeing staggering increases in all crimes in this city due to the economy, so maybe last year was starting to trend towards more shootings and now this year it's coming to a head?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2016, 01:07 PM   #159
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
I know looking at one year statistics can be misleading but last night there was an officer involved shooting. It was the 8th one this year in Calgary compared to 3 last year. Alberta as a whole has seen 10 this year so that makes it 8 for Calgary, 2 for the rest of the Province. Not sure why the large jump in numbers this year and why so many more in Calgary. Of course it could just be a statistical anomaly and revert back to historical norms next year. Nevertheless interesting to observe.
Well...in macro terms crime typically increases along with unemployment and poor economic conditions.

As times get tougher for the people on the lower end, those people get desperate. Desperate people do desperate things.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 02:35 PM   #160
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
It doesn't matter which is what I said in my previous post replying to someone who stated that as a reason.

There is no way this is a cost issue.
It's not just the cost of the vehicle, it's also the time it takes to set it up before it's put into service and decal costs.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote