Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-18-2016, 03:13 PM   #1201
Drummer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Some well written, honest reviews of the new terminal on their Facebook page.
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 05:17 PM   #1202
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

New Leaf announced flights from YYC to the Mesa airport a few days ago. 3x weekly. WestJet has just announced they are starting flights there too. Flights from both operators start January.

Oh and the WestJet flights are on the exact same days as the New Leaf ones, LOL.

Last edited by Bigtime; 11-19-2016 at 08:51 AM.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 10:55 AM   #1203
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
New Leaf announced flights from YYC to the Mesa airport a few days ago. 3x weekly. WestJet has just announced they are starting flights there too. Flights from both operators start January.

Oh and the WestJet flights are on the exact same days as the New Leaf ones, LOL.
Interesting move by Westjet. Why would they want to add Mesa when they already fly into Phoenix? Do they not have enough capacity on their flights to Phoenix? Can they not add a few more flights into Phoenix? Is Mesa going to be significantly cheaper in terms of airport fees/taxes and whatever?
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 11:19 AM   #1204
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Interesting move by Westjet. Why would they want to add Mesa when they already fly into Phoenix? Do they not have enough capacity on their flights to Phoenix? Can they not add a few more flights into Phoenix? Is Mesa going to be significantly cheaper in terms of airport fees/taxes and whatever?
To mess with New Leaf? If they price match and it's a choice between WestJet and New Leaf, same dates and same price, most people will likely go with the brand they already know.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 12:05 PM   #1205
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
It's a direct attack at New Leaf. Announced several days after, on the same days from both Calgary and Edmonton. They could easily ramp up PHX, but a better use of those planes would be trying to push New Leaf out of the southwestern US market which WestJet has a firm grasp on from YYC/YEG.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 12:41 PM   #1206
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup, it's a straight up dogfight.
Old 11-19-2016, 01:10 PM   #1207
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

WestJet has twice filed claims of anti-competition, first in 2001 against AC for trying to price them out of expanding in the east, then again a few years ago against the AC/UA joint venture for taking too much of the transborder market.

Now that's in their own backyard, WestJet will have absolutely none of it.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:26 PM   #1208
fliguy
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
WestJet has twice filed claims of anti-competition, first in 2001 against AC for trying to price them out of expanding in the east, then again a few years ago against the AC/UA joint venture for taking too much of the transborder market.

Now that's in their own backyard, WestJet will have absolutely none of it.
Funny how that works. Had this been AC doing this, people would be up in arms about how they are out to squash any kind of competition and hearing all kinds of stories about how bad they suck. Interesting that as it's Westjet doing it, I haven't hardly heard anything from anyone.
fliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fliguy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2016, 07:59 PM   #1209
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone even like Westjet anymore? Their management seems to think it is still 2003 and people are eating up their cutesy "owners care" small company vibe, when in reality they're just as bad, if not worse than their competition. Westjet is the new Air Canada.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2016, 02:20 AM   #1210
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliguy View Post
Interesting that as it's Westjet doing it, I haven't hardly heard anything from anyone.
One difference in this case is that WestJet will not be pricing them out and purposely taking a big loss on the route, as Air Canada did to WestJet. It's fair competition, but New Leaf will still probably succumb to it once people discover their hidden bag/carry-on fees are pretty detrimental to Phoenix golf trips.
Old 11-21-2016, 06:26 AM   #1211
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Westjet has signed a deal with McDonald's to serve their coffee in flight. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle32949736/
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 06:44 AM   #1212
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's good. Westjet coffee wasn't very good. McDonalds coffee is decent enough. Better than Timmies. Maybe they will give you more than a shot glass now.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2016, 07:50 AM   #1213
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yup, it's a straight up dogfight.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:09 AM   #1214
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Does anyone even like Westjet anymore? Their management seems to think it is still 2003 and people are eating up their cutesy "owners care" small company vibe, when in reality they're just as bad, if not worse than their competition. Westjet is the new Air Canada.
I would actually rather fly Air Canada than Westjet. More comfortable seating, better entertainment options, and better overall amenities/food options.

Well standard Air Canada, Air Canada Rouge is absolutely horrendous. Jazz isn't much better. The only time I really fly Westjet anymore is when i'm headed to the Maritimes, because they actually fly 737s into their versus Air Canada Jazz from Toronto/Montreal.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2016, 08:13 AM   #1215
fliguy
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
One difference in this case is that WestJet will not be pricing them out and purposely taking a big loss on the route, as Air Canada did to WestJet. It's fair competition, but New Leaf will still probably succumb to it once people discover their hidden bag/carry-on fees are pretty detrimental to Phoenix golf trips.
Interesting, where did you find that information? I can't be bothered to look up the prices myself
fliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 09:06 AM   #1216
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm loyal to WestJet only because of my RBC MasterCard.

Actually have preferred flying AC any time I go international or overseas where WJ doesn't fly
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 09:35 AM   #1217
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have good experiences with both carriers, and never any real nightmare scenarios. So depending on where I'm going, schedules, and price I choose between them.

We flew United YYC-IAH-PTY in March, and must have dodged the "United Sucks" bullet, all the flights were on time, friendly crew, and easy to connect through Houston.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:09 AM   #1218
Drummer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Calgary International Airport - New Terminal, Runway, Control Tower

My last flight a few weeks ago was mainline AC to LAX. It was much more roomy than Rouge - but 2 of the plug ins in our row didn't work, all bathrooms had non functional sinks due to a pluming issue, and the content selection on the TVs was poor. I paid for wifi and that made the flight better.
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 10:33 AM   #1219
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
I would actually rather fly Air Canada than Westjet. More comfortable seating, better entertainment options, and better overall amenities/food options.
If not for their customer service falling somewhere between Rogers and Truman Homes, I'd agree with you. Air Canada is awful. You may have dodged their bullets so far, but one day, they're bound to... wing you.

... pause for laughter...

That said, it's not that Westjet is good, or anything. They're just an airline, you get what you pay for and there's nothing special or additional about it to make you feel good about your air travel choice. You just don't get completely screwed over and left hanging by a company that seems to actually hate its customers.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 12:08 PM   #1220
cavalera403
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I have good experiences with both carriers, and never any real nightmare scenarios. So depending on where I'm going, schedules, and price I choose between them.

We flew United YYC-IAH-PTY in March, and must have dodged the "United Sucks" bullet, all the flights were on time, friendly crew, and easy to connect through Houston.
I think that may be because the YYC-IAH is an old Continental route and is still serviced by former Continental personnel.

At least that is what I am to believe. Going Denver or Chicago is like pulling teeth.
cavalera403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cavalera403 For This Useful Post:

Tags
go flames go , say no to yeg , tunnel of death , yyc