Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2021, 04:07 PM   #1
vinny93
Draft Pick

Default Bennett

I'm fairly certain that I will get crushed on here about this subject because 93 is such a polarizing player for the Flames, but here goes. I firmly believe that Sam has been so completely mismanaged by the organization, his first year he was a dynamo, hard on pucks, hard to play against, driving to the net, I actually believed he was on a trajectory to supplant Monahan. In his second year the organization started this trend of stapling him to old, aging, slower vets, and so began his decline, I think Bennett and Dube should be considered a pair, they feed well off each other, they both have speed and tenacity, it was proven last year in the regular season when Ryan went down and 93 filled in at center for a handful of games. Bennett doesn't have chemistry with Lucic, the playoff line success was because 29 and 93 work well together. Just my thoughts, let the crushing begin.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to vinny93 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2021, 04:27 PM   #2
TheSquatch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I mean, on one hand, nobody has chemistry with the weaker players on the team, Lucic, Ryan, replacement-level wingers.... so that's kinda not on Bennett. That's a team-build thing. What's on Bennett is how dumb he is, how careless with his stick, how many silly things and bad choices he makes. I'd love to roast the Flames for "wasting" him, but I feel like it's actually the opposite, they've held on and tried a hundred different roles, and he's just not really NHL-smart enough to grab one. Baertschi we might have had the same talk about - OH MY GOD THE KID GOT 28 goals in his first two games he's the next Gretzky! And yet, as time wore on, Baertschi just.... didn't work out, and he got a change of scenery, and he's taxi-squad there now too. I think the Flames are pretty good at assessing guys, and pretty good at letting them find a way. All Bennett has to do is not get 2 dumb penalties a game, and find a way to not be -1 on the night. Lucic is in the same boat. Just quit hurting us and we'll love you. But no.

Look how easy it was for Rasmus Andersson to play top pair. All he had to do was.... be real good.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheSquatch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2021, 04:38 PM   #3
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Shows up for the playoffs

Best moustache on the team

We are only 5 games in this year and that included a long break. Look forward to seeing how things unfold when there is a substantial amount of games played
Old 01-27-2021, 04:40 PM   #4
Big Erned Nevergivn
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Coming from a someone who likes Bennett and believes he is part of the solution here in Calgary, I disagree with you. He has had every opportunity to succeed, more then most. And when he gets an opportunity, he never seizes it. We have tried him on the wing and center. He has played with many different line mates and hasn't been offensively successful with any of them but Backlund (in his rookie year). Did we miss manage him because he doesn't get gifted top line minutes? or #1 PP time? No one does. You have to earn that, then get the opportunity and then prove you belong there. Look at Mangiapane or Dube, or even Gaudreau or Monahan for that matter. None of them were gifted top minutes or great line mates to start, they earned it. What has Bennett done to earn that?

I think we have to start realizing Bennett is not going to reach his potential as first center, but he can be an important role player. He plays too aggressive to be effective during the regular season resulting in stupid minor penalties. He was effective in offensively in Junior because he did it all himself, he still hasn't learned how to use his teammates. He holds on to the puck too long, makes 1-2-3 too many moves, often puts himself or others offside by making moves at the line and when he finally does pass it's usually off the mark and has no finesse. Plays die on Bennett's stick constantly.

I believe in the playoffs, his success has little to do with playing center or which line mates he plays with. I believe it can mostly be attributed to the refs calling less penalties in the playoffs, him understanding this and he can just relax and play his style on instinct.

Regarding chemistry, I don't think he really has it with anyone, nor will he. Again because he doesn't have the toolbox to utilize his linemates. Dube looks good on every line, his speed, tenacity and play making ability makes him compliment every line he plays on.

Bennett is a solid player that brings tenacity, is pretty responsible defensively and is going to pot a goal now and then. He is going to be a big part of any playoff success that we have. But he is always going to be frustrating from a fan perspective because he has all the tools but no tool box. IMHO
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big Erned Nevergivn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2021, 04:42 PM   #5
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny93 View Post
I think Bennett and Dube should be considered a pair, they feed well off each other, they both have speed and tenacity, it was proven last year in the regular season when Ryan went down and 93 filled in at center for a handful of games. Bennett doesn't have chemistry with Lucic, the playoff line success was because 29 and 93 work well together. Just my thoughts, let the crushing begin.
I don't know what to think about Bennett's development anymore, but I have to disagree with your idea espoused here. The Flames need Dube playing in the top six. He has looked great on Lindholm's wing, and I see no reason at all to move him away from it. In short, the Flames are MUCH better off with Dube playing on the top line than they are with Bennett.

Is that Bennett's fault? Is it the Flames's? Who knows? But it is what it is now, and I don't see that changing.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 01-27-2021, 04:45 PM   #6
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is the Sam Bennett cycle:

- Plays on 4th line or with poor line mates

- Gets promoted to higher line, generally looks good at first but tries to do too much and takes bad penalties

- After taking the bad penalties he comes out more timid the next game and is a much less effective hockey player who's afraid to take a risk or make a mistake

- Gets demoted back to 4th line where he may look okay individually but won't achieve much since his linemates are usually subpar, hence restarting the cycle

And round and round we go.

Honestly the biggest mistake is that I don't think he's actually gotten a run of 10 consecutive games with the better players on this team since his rookie season playing with Backlund.

And I think that hurts him because then he either tries to do too much in order to make an impression (usually taking bad penalties in the process, example Game 2), or he tries to not take any risks in order to not make a mistake and plays too timid (the last three games)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Erned Nevergivn View Post
I believe in the playoffs, his success has little to do with playing center or which line mates he plays with. I believe it can mostly be attributed to the refs calling less penalties in the playoffs, him understanding this and he can just relax and play his style on instinct.
I think it's a little bit linemates but I do think this is a big contributor to his lack of success as well. He's never figured out how to play a tenacious style that won't result in him taking penalties in the regular season, and it's limited his regular season effectiveness.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 01-27-2021 at 04:48 PM.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2021, 04:52 PM   #7
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

He needs to actually produce something. I think he is best with Backlund for now, and once Dube comes back, perhaps the line will be better with Eat Bread. But he still needs to produce something, anything. Otherwise, he will be an easy one to leave unprotected in the expansion draft and I am not even sure he would be taken.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2021, 04:57 PM   #8
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope he gets a chance as a top 2/3 line C somewhere else after this season, I wanted it to happen so badly but it's never going to happen here as long as Lindholm/Monahan/Backlund are ahead of him.

IMO he's more elusive and dynamic when carrying the puck through the middle of the ice and attacking the other team's blueline with speed. When stapled to the wing by the boards that space he needs isn't there.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mile For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2021, 04:58 PM   #9
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Backlund. Good centre, crap winger.
Bennett. Good centre, crap winger?
Old 01-27-2021, 05:03 PM   #10
Captain Otto
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My biggest complaint is that when he does get promoted and moves up the lineup, it seems to me he's given 4 shifts and if he doesn't get a hat trick, he's back to the 3rd or 4th line.

I just wish they would give him a dozen games or so in the top 6 IN A ROW and see how he plays and what kind of chemistry he develops.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Captain Otto For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2021, 05:13 PM   #11
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm no expert but I think Bennett has established himself as a below-average offensive player in the NHL. He has speed, and is decent along the wall, but he doesn't really have the skill to create chances, the vision to make his teammates better, or the finish to put it in himself. He generates offence by being a wrecking ball in the o-zone and picking up scraps around the net. That works in the playoffs but less so during the regular season. I also don't see that changing regardless of where you play him or who you play him with -- the sample size is big enough for me and there have been enough opportunities to show what he can do at this level. I think it's obvious Dube and Mangiapane have both passed him on the depth chart.

The one area that he did have some success with in the bubble was on PP2 -- it might be worth using him instead of Lucic in front of the net. But five-on-five, I think he is what he is. It would also be nice if he could develop some PK skills -- it might be a way to get him some more minutes without the pressure to generate offence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Honestly the biggest mistake is that I don't think he's actually gotten a run of 10 consecutive games with the better players on this team since his rookie season playing with Backlund.

And I think that hurts him because then he either tries to do too much in order to make an impression (usually taking bad penalties in the process, example Game 2), or he tries to not take any risks in order to not make a mistake and plays too timid (the last three games)
He is starting his 6th season in the NHL. If he hasn't figured out how to play on that edge, then I'm not sure putting him with better or more consistent linemates will make any difference for him.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2021, 05:30 PM   #12
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am in the camp that believes Bennett was mismanaged. Hartley talked about the importance of letting young guys loose so they could excel with their talents even though in the beginning they would make mistakes. This is why Monahan and Johnny were given a lot of reins, this would to help them excel. The Flames gave Bennett line-mates that were often lazy and inconsistent, likely hindering his learning curve and progression. Converting him to center too soon put a lot on his plate and the added mistakes turned into on ice confidence issues. Not having skilled players contributed to him often trying to do too much himself which then just added to his on ice frustrations.
Inexperienced coaches can be added to that list.

He is what he is, and to be effective during the regular season Sam Bennett he needs to be a difference maker, and play a simple physical game. That is something he can do better than anyone else on the team. When he does that he opens up time and space. Why he is not doing it is something the coach needs to figure out.
Old 01-27-2021, 05:34 PM   #13
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

All the tools, no real toolbox.

Clock is ticking
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2021, 05:46 PM   #14
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Infuriating how this organization has ruined Bennett. In the playoffs they give him good linemates, significant ice time, and actually allow him to play center, and he's one of the best players on the team. Regular season rolls around and they throw him back on the wing in the bottom 6 with plugs, and of course he plays badly again. Why not let him and Dube see if they can keep it going?
Old 01-27-2021, 05:56 PM   #15
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
Infuriating how this organization has ruined Bennett. In the playoffs they give him good linemates, significant ice time, and actually allow him to play center, and he's one of the best players on the team. Regular season rolls around and they throw him back on the wing in the bottom 6 with plugs, and of course he plays badly again. Why not let him and Dube see if they can keep it going?
Because the Flames need a top-line winger a hell of a lot more than they need Bennett centering the third or fourth line.

The organization did not "ruin" him. I agree that Bennett is a better player than he has shown this season, and a lot of that has to do with his deployment. However, I think it is abundantly clear by now that he has neither the skill nor the on-ice vision and anticipation to be much more than he is.

Quote:
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2021, 05:58 PM   #16
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Because the Flames need a top-line winger a hell of a lot more than they need Bennett centering the third or fourth line.

The organization did not "ruin" him. I agree that Bennett is a better player than he has shown this season, and a lot of that has to do with his deployment. However, I think it is abundantly clear by now that he has neither the skill nor the on-ice vision and anticipation to be much more than he is.

If something like Tkachuk/Bennett/Dube had worked out as the second line (which I think it would have) they wouldn't have had to make Lindholm play center.

The organization absolutely ruined his development. Outside of a few games here and there, Bennett has never been given a real shot to show he can be more than he is. I just can't understand why they'd go back to this after seeing great chemistry between him and another skilled player for once, and finally maybe showing why he was drafted so high.

Last edited by codynw; 01-27-2021 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-27-2021, 06:01 PM   #17
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
If something like Tkachuk/Bennett/Dube had worked out as the second line (which I think it would have) they wouldn't have had to make Lindholm play center.
Of course, but there are plenty of reasons to be sceptical that this ever would have worked out. Bennett does not possess top-six offensive skill—it's a pretty crucial feature of playing and succeeding on the second line.

Quote:
Old 01-27-2021, 06:03 PM   #18
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I may be alone in this, but I really wasn’t impressed by Bennett in his rookie season. His 4 goal game masked a fair bit of inconsistency and he was always trying the ill advised toe drag or deke through an NHL dman’s skates. Look at comments here form that season and you’ll see a lot of complaints.
Old 01-27-2021, 06:05 PM   #19
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

At some point he needs to take responsibility for his own play. Can't just keep blaming coaches and linemates forever. Maybe he's not as skilled as we have always thought he may be. He gets pumped up in the playoffs and can be a real difference maker but for whatever reason in the regular season he is a below average hockey player. He has to ask himself why he can get up for one part of the season but not the other. I was so pumped when the Flames drafted him, but unfortunately now I don't expect really anything out of him anymore, if he scores a goal or has a good game without taking a dumb penalty I'll consider it a big victory.
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2021, 06:09 PM   #20
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

He is a bottom 6 regular season player. The officiating in the playoffs turns him into a very useful player. They call to much stuff during regular season for him to be as effective as in playoffs. Nobody ruined Bennett. He is what he is. He could be traded or signed by another team and it won’t turn him into a top 6 player.
The Following User Says Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread