Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2021, 12:18 PM   #241
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Seahawks hiring the highly coveted (lol) Shane Waldron as their OC.
Was the passing game coordinator with the Rams and came with McVey from the Redskins.

He’s never called plays in his NFL career.

As I’ve droned on about, Russell Wilson wants to run the offence after the taste he got doing so this year to great results, then terrible ones (also today, DK Metcalf talked about how other teams figured them out midway through the season, (as I have mentioned) and the offence didn’t react quickly enough). The experienced coaches they interviewed in the first round all bowed out quickly when they heard the plan that Wilson wanted to de facto run things...Gase, Pederson were there and gone.

So, Wilson has his wish. He has got a totally green guy there with no play calling experience, so a guy he who he’s able to control, a guy who is not going to push back much on any play design or play calling, and is paid to hold Wilson’s play sheet and wear the headset.

Also, could be another signal the Rams are done with Goff.
Not sure what the consensus is here but I feel like Wilson is the biggest diva among NFL QB's.
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 12:21 PM   #242
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-qb-jared-goff

hell of a vote of confidence lol. What's the over/under for teams with a new starting QB this year? Seems like a remarkable number of teams have a cloud of uncertainty at the position right now. Could be a lot of movement this offseason.
The Rams don't really have a lot of options. No team will take Goff off their hands so their only real option is to draft a QB and do what the Dolphins are doing with Fitz and Tua or trade for/sign a lower cost UFA like Mariota, Brissette, Newton, Trubisky that can compete with Goff for the starting job. Sucks for Rams fans as they are doomed to be a good but not great team until 2023 which is the earliest they can get out of Goff's contract.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 08:03 PM   #243
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Texans are apparently hiring the Ravens' WRs coach as their new HC. Lol.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 08:14 PM   #244
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

He’s probably one of the only people willing to take the job with Watson’s uncertainty. This is an 0-16 team without Watson.
The Big Chill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 08:29 PM   #245
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Life sure has not gone well for the Texans since going up 24-0 against the Chiefs.
Old 01-27-2021, 08:54 PM   #246
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think either Frazier or Bieniemy would have taken the job.

Quite the interesting choice, I don’t know a thing about him. He’s not a young man, he and Dusty Baker can hang out together in Houston and play cribbage.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 11:42 PM   #247
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
Not sure what the consensus is here but I feel like Wilson is the biggest diva among NFL QB's.
Diva isn’t the right word at all. But he’s a lot more intense, stubborn and individually motivated behind his congenial public nature. I think he still feels not fully respected or given enough credit even after all he’s done.

The whispers of him just being a game manager earlier in his career through the SB’s, the fact that he had locker room rumblings about him earlier in his career, his lack of MVP votes etc all seem to push him harder to prove he’s smarter and more able then most QBs and coaches. In some cases, he well may be, but it still takes a team to win.

He’s said he spends $1M a year on personal training staff and coaches and cooks to continue to stay in shape and wants to play until he’s 45 which is 13 more seasons.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2021, 04:53 AM   #248
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1354623203382075394

yikes.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 06:27 AM   #249
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
His body of work isn't really impressive but being a head coach is more of a managerial position than position coach so I don't think that we should assume this guy will automatically be a bad head coach. I can understand Texans fans being underwhelmed though as this organization has not been doing much right of late and on the surface this doesn't look great.
Old 01-28-2021, 06:37 AM   #250
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
His body of work isn't really impressive but being a head coach is more of a managerial position than position coach so I don't think that we should assume this guy will automatically be a bad head coach. I can understand Texans fans being underwhelmed though as this organization has not been doing much right of late and on the surface this doesn't look great.
oh sure. He has coached under Bill Cowher, Andy Reid (who had him for 17 years), Sean McDermott and John Harbaugh for a total of 25 years ... that's solid, to say the least. And you never know how those people fare as HCs, so he might be a good choice after all. But hiring a guy who has never even been a coordinator in the NFL, at this point in their history, is an interesting move, to put it mildly. Not going to help their public image in their current situation ... tells you everything you need to know about how coveted this job was of course.
Old 01-28-2021, 06:47 AM   #251
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean none of us know, maybe this guy is actually Belichick level good as a coach. But as far as I can tell this is his first ever interview to be a head coach because I've never even heard his name in passing before last night. I think it sends a pretty clear message of the state of your franchise if you're even reaching out to a guy like this, let alone hiring him. He's pretty clearly the stopgap for what is going to be a very ugly next 2-3 years as the Texans nuke their roster starting with Deshaun.
Old 01-28-2021, 07:13 AM   #252
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also the Ravens are getting two third round comp picks for this hire because Culley is a minority coach. Imagine parlaying the guy who coordinated the worst passing offense in the league, by far, into a better return than the Eagles are going to get for Carson Wentz. Absolutely hilarious.
Old 01-28-2021, 07:26 AM   #253
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I’d be more accepting of Culley if the plan was to support him with some really high end coordinators, but we are sticking with Kelly at OC, who was pretty under qualified to begin with, and hasn’t really been all that impressive.

This move makes me think it’s more likely Watson gets moved and this is just about steering the ship through our next couple of 0-16 seasons.

It’s the Texans though, so who knows. Religion is the priority over football.
The Big Chill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 08:00 AM   #254
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watson has now officially requested a trade.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1354805124921651200
Old 01-28-2021, 08:03 AM   #255
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

It seems to me they wanted to give the impression they tried to get Watson to stay rather than actually doing it.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 08:08 AM   #256
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Probably a matter of time until he's a Dolphin. They not only have the cap space and assets to give them but it also happens to be where he wants to play. The Dolphins messed up bit time when they let Brees slip through their fingers. They best not let history repeat here.
Old 01-28-2021, 08:24 AM   #257
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd bet on New England being a player for Deshaun.
Cheese is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2021, 08:25 AM   #258
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't see Deshaun blocking too many trades, especially since he's apparently fine with going to the Jets. It's gonna come down to the haul and my guess is someone will be desperate enough to offer the max of four first rounders. We're talking about a top five QB who can be there another 10-12 years after this trade. Someone will rationalize that it's worth it, and that they can still build through the later rounds of the draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
I'd bet on New England being a player for Deshaun.
I'd bet on about 24 teams being a player for Deshaun. This is gonna be the ultimate bidding war. Even an incompetent franchise like the Texans won't be able to screw up the return.
Old 01-28-2021, 08:31 AM   #259
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean, it's hard to imagine a team that could beat the package the Jets could offer here. They have an extra 1st and 3rd this year and another extra 1st next year ... they could easily trade the 2nd overall this year and their 1sts in 22 and 23 without damaging their long-term depth at all. Flipping Darnold should then get them a 2nd back too. If Watson is fine going to the Jets, they absolutely have to go all-in.

Fins could be a big player too, but I guess that would depend on how interested the Texans would be in Tua.
Old 01-28-2021, 08:34 AM   #260
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well if you’re going to trade Watson, there is zero point in stopping there. Clearly JJ has played his last game for the franchise and I’d see what you can get for the overpaid Tunsil.

Three BOB trades ruined this club. Tunsil in, Clowney and Hopkins out. As I’ve said before, I can live with the movement of those three players. But the fact you gave up two firsts for Tunsil and received spare parts for the other two is crippling. Instead of being down two firsts, you should have been net positive a first after those trades.

Things would look a whole lot different with three extra first round picks around here. We would still have BOB though which wouldn’t be good.

I hope the new guys know how to build a contender and are strong enough leaders to put Easterby in the corner. And that Cal McNair is sufficiently embarrassed that he stays well away from everything.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post: