Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2021, 07:46 PM   #1
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:
Icon40 Mike Gillis' proposal to be the next Penguins President of Hockey Ops leaked

Very comprehensive document here apparently leaked by Gillis' son, Spencer, on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1354564840501637124

Someone on Reddit picked it up and posted it to r/hockey. The link is below.

https://old.reddit.com/r/hockey/comm...t_penguins_gm/

An interesting inside look into some behind the scenes thinking in the NHL. I'm pretty impressed by Gillis' reasoning here.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2021, 07:47 PM   #2
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

How do you "accidentally" tweet out something like that?
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 07:50 PM   #3
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPunk View Post
How do you "accidentally" tweet out something like that?

Yeah, heard about butt dial, but butt tweet?
midniteowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 07:50 PM   #4
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Honestly I have my doubts that it was an accident, considering Spencer's tweet is identical to an apology tweeted out by Jake Virtanen (that became something of a running joke) a couple of years ago.

Spoiler!

But who knows.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 07:57 PM   #5
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

I wouldn't be shocked if the Pens changed their mind on the hire because of this.
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 08:49 PM   #6
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My favorite Mike Gillis story was the one where he was in Boston after game 2 telling everyone in a drunk frat boy rage how he was going to celebrate his Stanley cup win.

Good times.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2021, 10:10 PM   #7
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

This seems purposely leaked but I can't think of a single reason why he would want to do it.

This is actually unreal.

Last edited by Ashasx; 01-27-2021 at 10:14 PM.
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2021, 08:01 AM   #8
liamenator
First Line Centre

Exp:

This is an interesting document. It's definitely not as "innovative" as he claims--feels like half the league is using a similar organizational chart even if the job titles are different--and it suffers from the horrible tendency to dress up simple ideas in complex business-speak. But there's nothing super specific in here so it's not like having it out in the world will cause people to rip off his IP. Nor is there anything disparaging about any specific people, nor even really any concrete details about team building (e.g. potential candidates, assessments about existing players, etc.). It feels like a high level pitch that was engineered to be leaked, a calculated risk to get "Gillis's Vision" out in the world.

And I actually don't think it's a terrible PR move for someone with name recognition -- the idea being that you know it's going to circulate and that sports media and fan cultures will be commenting on it (the strategy wouldn't work for a candidate with no profile). Then, should enough folks like what they see, you might win the support of the right talking-heads, which often leads to a groundswell of fan support for a candidate. It's probably worth the risk because even if he doesn't get the Penguins job, he's back in the conversation as a candidate for future GM positions.

Of course, the risk is that people don't like what they see, in which case it blows up in your face. But, I mean, at this point, what's he got to lose?
liamenator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to liamenator For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2021, 11:52 AM   #9
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Explains the abrupt departure of Rutherford of this is true. This org structure sees power taken away/shared with several others. Also he might have bucked at idea of “progressive” approach to running hockey. I’m speculating but it lines up.
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 12:16 PM   #10
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamenator View Post
This is an interesting document. It's definitely not as "innovative" as he claims--feels like half the league is using a similar organizational chart even if the job titles are different--and it suffers from the horrible tendency to dress up simple ideas in complex business-speak. But there's nothing super specific in here so it's not like having it out in the world will cause people to rip off his IP. Nor is there anything disparaging about any specific people, nor even really any concrete details about team building (e.g. potential candidates, assessments about existing players, etc.). It feels like a high level pitch that was engineered to be leaked, a calculated risk to get "Gillis's Vision" out in the world.

And I actually don't think it's a terrible PR move for someone with name recognition -- the idea being that you know it's going to circulate and that sports media and fan cultures will be commenting on it (the strategy wouldn't work for a candidate with no profile). Then, should enough folks like what they see, you might win the support of the right talking-heads, which often leads to a groundswell of fan support for a candidate. It's probably worth the risk because even if he doesn't get the Penguins job, he's back in the conversation as a candidate for future GM positions.

Of course, the risk is that people don't like what they see, in which case it blows up in your face. But, I mean, at this point, what's he got to lose?
Yes reading that document/sales pitch felt it could have come from like every half arsed training course I've been on for the last 5 years, all it needed was a sprinkling of 'continuous quality improvement' and 'stakeholder input' and I could have has a decent game of beer can bingo
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 12:32 PM   #11
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Man this document is one big humble brag. It was weird that I couldn’t find mention of the players he inherited from Burke. Strange.

https://imgur.com/a/Rxx2Hmf
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2021, 02:49 PM   #12
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
Man this document is one big humble brag. It was weird that I couldn’t find mention of the players he inherited from Burke. Strange.

https://imgur.com/a/Rxx2Hmf
Agreed, he walked into a great situation, much like Feaster in TB, that was dudleys team
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 02:50 PM   #13
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

You'd have to be high or clinically insane to hire Mike Gillis.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2021, 09:39 PM   #14
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love the dozens of bland quotes from Gillis himself sprinkled throughout the document.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2021, 10:46 PM   #15
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
I love the dozens of bland quotes from Gillis himself sprinkled throughout the document.
Don’t forget the media quotes he Cherry picked. They’re good for a chuckle.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 11:34 AM   #16
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Just wait until you see his nefarious scheme to become Washington's President!
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 06:20 PM   #17
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Yeah that is really odd and hilarious.

“Mike Gillis said that Mike Gillis should be President of Hockey Ops,” said Mike Gillis on radio one day. Hire me!
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote