Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2016, 12:36 PM   #181
Kiran403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Checked it out today and it was pretty good. It was busy but nowhere near as what had been reported over the past few days. The chicken was tasty and the sides I got (cajun fries and redbeans/rice) were great. I was really surprised at how much I liked the red beans and rice. The biscuit was nice and flaky and tasted fresh. Overall I was pretty impressed. It's definitely better than KFC and not as greasy. I would go back for sure.
Kiran403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 01:01 PM   #182
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Went there last night for a few items. Despite being pretty busy (nobody out the door busy, but all the tables were occupied).

The fried chicken was good. Nice crispy skin, but probably still a little bit greasier than your typical Korean chicken but it wasn't sickeningly greasy. The closest I can compare to is Chicken on the Way, but without a recent tasting of CotW I wouldn't know whether to place it higher or lower on the ranking. We ordered the spicy chicken, but it didn't taste overly spicy. Maybe they messed up or something?

The biscuits were delicious. We ordered a few extra, and some were a bit darker on the outside, so I don't know if those were the usual ones, or if we also ended up with a few that weren't cooked as long. Either way, they were really good. They remind me of how KFC's used to be.

The popcorn shrimp weren't really very good. Wouldn't order those again. Tasted about as good / fresh as something you could buy frozen at Costco.

The Cajun poutine, I suppose was good. I had a bite and the cheese was certainly squeaky and everything. I didn't detect any chicken in it. Was there supposed to be? My son wolfed it all down and later said he tasted some chicken. I probably wouldn't order this again, but my son wanted to try it as he seems to have this new aversion to chicken or seafood.

Anyway, it's a little out of my way, and just wanted to try it because it was new. I don't think I would make a special effort to go there, but I wouldn't refuse the food if offered it.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:34 AM   #183
wontondestruction
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Still busy?
wontondestruction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:36 PM   #184
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

The last few times I drove by around lunch time the drive through line didn't even extend into the parking lot let alone down the block, so crowd dodgers are clear to engage.

Last edited by photon; 01-11-2017 at 03:16 PM. Reason: It's 'cleared to engage' isn't it?
photon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2017, 03:11 PM   #185
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

My sales guy is in love with Popeyes, he went last friday and lined up prior to doors opening and said the lineup to the drive thru was full and 20 people were waiting to go inside...

Maybe they are still keeners but I share photon's experience the last time I drove by.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:28 PM   #186
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Your sales guy has too much free time.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keratosis For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2017, 03:31 PM   #187
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keratosis View Post
Your sales guy has too much free time.
Yes I know. He is actually the worst.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:35 PM   #188
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

His name Herb by any chance?
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keratosis For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2017, 03:39 PM   #189
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nope, know a useless Herb? Haha
Old 01-11-2017, 03:49 PM   #190
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Most of the people who would get that reference are dead.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2017, 07:54 AM   #191
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Popeye's? a huge line? Seriously?

Not that's it's bad (it's decent and the kids like it) but it's just a standard chain fast food restaurant. From someone who has several around the area I find the excitement curious.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:00 AM   #192
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
Popeye's? a huge line? Seriously?

Not that's it's bad (it's decent and the kids like it) but it's just a standard chain fast food restaurant. From someone who has several around the area I find the excitement curious.
It is mainly just novelty, a lot of people never tried it but have heard good things about the chain so they go check it out. Lines will die out after a while.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 04:03 PM   #193
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

The same thing happens with every new American chain that has a famous name that appears in Calgary.

See Krispy Kreme, Carl's Jr., etc. KK failed and Carl's Jr. has quieted down.

Today in the afternoon, the lineup was about 25 cars, it went around the corner and down the block. Inside was packed. Probably since this is Saturday.

Red Beans and Rice are great. Biscuits were great. The chicken was small and nothing to write home about. I'd say slightly better than KFC Extra Crispy when they do have it. I would prefer Korean chicken any day (some Korean restaurants, WOW Chicken, Olive Chicken, etc). Definitely ask for more hot sauce.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 01-14-2017 at 04:07 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 04:15 PM   #194
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Old 01-14-2017, 05:31 PM   #195
wontondestruction
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

We wanted to check Popeye's out last night, but when I saw the long line of cars, I just kept driving. We ended up by the new Costco, where they have a Panda Express. I didn't know we had PE's in Calgary. I have zero interest in trying out that garbage.
wontondestruction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 05:03 PM   #196
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wontondestruction View Post
We wanted to check Popeye's out last night, but when I saw the long line of cars, I just kept driving. We ended up by the new Costco, where they have a Panda Express. I didn't know we had PE's in Calgary. I have zero interest in trying out that garbage.
I predict that Panda Express will fail hard in Calgary. From my travels, I'd say Calgary is the capital of "white man Chinese food". Your corner Chinese food restaurant in a suburban strip mall will probably sell a superior product to Panda Express. Heck, mall Chinese food (Manchu Wok) kicks PE's ass. This is equivalent to opening the Calgary chain, Chicago Deep dish in Chicago.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 06:10 PM   #197
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
I predict that Panda Express will fail hard in Calgary. From my travels, I'd say Calgary is the capital of "white man Chinese food". Your corner Chinese food restaurant in a suburban strip mall will probably sell a superior product to Panda Express. Heck, mall Chinese food (Manchu Wok) kicks PE's ass. This is equivalent to opening the Calgary chain, Chicago Deep dish in Chicago.
The failure of Panda Express will be its lack of ginger beef. Otherwise as far as mall Chinese go it's pretty good. They do a good job of maintaining freshness of their dishes.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 06:11 PM   #198
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
Calgary really does have good Western Chinese food.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 04:21 PM   #199
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
It is mainly just novelty, a lot of people never tried it but have heard good things about the chain so they go check it out. Lines will die out after a while.
A month later and they're still super busy even during the week. I've seen hyped up American chains be super busy for a few weeks, but we're still talking a full parking lot and packed inside plus the drive thru line almost back to the road (which is crazy long when you consider how far down and around the corner you go to get to the window), most days.

Hoping it'll die down to normal fast food restaurant levels soon, not interested in a 20+ minute wait to grab lunch.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 04:27 PM   #200
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Tried it last night, wrongly assumed the crowds died down a little but the drive thru moved relative quickly.

The fried chicken and biscuits are excellent, seriously good. Everything else, the sides etc were pretty garbage. Coleslaw tasted like wet.

Chicken though, delicious.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote