Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2019, 10:16 AM   #41
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I would like to see Bennett work on his shot and his release. I think with a quicker release, he instantly becomes a 2nd line talent.
That's about speed of decision making to me. I think Bennett takes too long to figure out what to do and by doing that ends up with the puck in the midst of defenders a lot. If his default was to shoot instead of trying a toe drag or pass through defenders, he'd create more IMO.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:20 AM   #42
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
That's about speed of decision making to me. I think Bennett takes too long to figure out what to do and by doing that ends up with the puck in the midst of defenders a lot. If his default was to shoot instead of trying a toe drag or pass through defenders, he'd create more IMO.
I think it's both - he takes too long to make decisions for sure, but he also has a slow release, even when he already knows he's going to shoot.

Two different issues. Both need improvement.

(I am a big Bennett fan, btw, and I think if he can improve both these things he can still become a great player)
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:32 AM   #43
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
Good article as always by Johnson

But expect more as his agents try and raise his profile going into free agency.

I still think the Oilers offer sheet him with a 2 year offer at $4Mill per year, which is a 2nd round pick compensation.
The Oilers already have a cap crunch, they don't have a lot of room to do this type of thing
And if they do - the Flames likely match.
Not worried.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:47 AM   #44
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

I don't see a guy who will ever become a "great" player, but he most certainly has become an important player for this team.

His hockey IQ and inability to do things at the highest speed, just won't allow him to become better than average, or even average, offensively. It's frustrating as hell knowing the rest of his skills are good to great and his attitude is tremendous.

Landeskog?

Bennett will be lucky to get half his points.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:52 AM   #45
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I don't see a guy who will ever become a "great" player, but he most certainly has become an important player for this team.

His hockey IQ and inability to do things at the highest speed, just won't allow him to become better than average, or even average, offensively. It's frustrating as hell knowing the rest of his skills are good to great and his attitude is tremendous.

Landeskog?

Yeah, you're probably right, but he reminds me so much of Landeskog, especially in style of play. Maybe he never cracks 50 points, but I think he'll hover around 40-50 for the remainder of his career. Landeskog wasn't much better than that before this year. Along with the other attributes Bennett brings, I think that's a very valuable player that probably won't cost an arm and a leg to keep.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:58 AM   #46
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Yeah, you're probably right, but he reminds me so much of Landeskog, especially in style of play. Maybe he never cracks 50 points, but I think he'll hover around 40-50 for the remainder of his career. Landeskog wasn't much better than that before this year. Along with the other attributes Bennett brings, I think that's a very valuable player that probably won't cost an arm and a leg to keep.
When does that start? Next year?

maybe he goes on a tear and gets close this season, but not likely. He is 200th among forwards right now.

Like I said, Bennett is what he is...and he has really carved an important role on this team which is great.

Like everything though, the $$ will be a huge question mark in the summer, but no need to worry about that stuff right now.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:20 AM   #47
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Points can also be misleading. If Bennett is playing with MacKinnon and Rantanen this year, and on PP1, how many points does he put up? 60? Certainly 50+, IMO.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2019, 11:22 AM   #48
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Points can also be misleading. If Bennett is playing with MacKinnon and Raatanen this year, and on PP1, how many points does he put up? 60? Certainly 50+, IMO.
That's my thought as well. His numbers shot up this year playing on one of the most successful offensive lines in the entire league. MacKinnon is a guy that elevates others around him, not unlike Gaudreau. Rantanen took another step forward this year after a strong previous season.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:22 AM   #49
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

And if Landeskog is playing on the 3rd line, how many does he put up? 40?
Old 02-18-2019, 11:23 AM   #50
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am not trying to argue that Bennett is as good as Landeskog, because he isn't. But points are also a function of opportunity, and comparing the 2 players on points is a bit misleading.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:25 AM   #51
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And if Landeskog is playing on the 3rd line, how many does he put up? 40?
If he's lucky, especially with a snakebitten James Neal on the opposite wing.

When I watch Landeskog I see a guy with some decent skill, but works hard for every inch of ice and scores his goals more with effort and going to the dirty areas. That should be the model for Bennett as pure skill is not going to be his M.O. for success, but he has enough skill to bury chances if given the opportunity.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2019, 11:28 AM   #52
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

That is pretty much what I see as well. Always thought he was a bit over-rated.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:30 AM   #53
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I am not trying to argue that Bennett is as good as Landeskog, because he isn't. But points are also a function of opportunity, and comparing the 2 players on points is a bit misleading.
Nope, I'm simply comparing playing styles and potential impact on a team long term. All I'm saying is that Bennett reminds me of Landeskog in playing style and impact on the game. Landeskog is a little more skilled, but Bennett's confidence took a huge hit over the last 2 seasons and he's just now getting back to where he should be.

When I see Bennett this year I see a guy who has started to finally figure out how to be effective in all areas of the ice and isn't hurting his team anymore out there. Now that he has that part figured out the opportunity for growth seem possible. Before he made the shift in approach to play I wasn't sure he was going to be a long-term fit for the Flames. Now I think he's a key piece to the puzzle, albeit a depth piece and not a top line piece the way Landeskog is.

Alright, I'll stop now.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:41 AM   #54
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't like the Landeskog comparision for Bennett personally.

I still think Bennett's most valuable skill isn't his power forward game but the two way composure that he flashes on the first 150 feet of the ice. He's a completely different player along those first 150 feet, a composed and precise passer, makes great use of the boards to get the puck out of pressure and into open space, and pretty damn good at rushing the puck through traffic with his edgework. Also strong at protecting the net when his Dmen get caught chasing.

And then he passes the offensuve blue and is a totally different player.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 12:32 PM   #55
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
I can't imagine how difficult it must have been for Sam Bennett to know his mom was sick while keeping his focus and continuing to play hockey. A lot of people/fans had a lot to say about Sam Bennett's performance on the ice. Good lesson! Helps to remember players are people too and there may be other mitigating in factors in how they are playing.
I was coming in here to say the exact same thing! Losing a parent at such a young age could be devastating to anyone. My step-mom is struggling with her fight with cancer at the moment and it is really tough to witness. Anyway, I can see Sam having that past him just start to really flourish! I don't know if he will ever be a center again, but I just hope he keeps on going the way he is this season and can build off this.

One day, it would be cool to see a 2nd line of Tkachuk - Bennett - Neal, if Neal can get going as well. I wouldn't imagine any team would like to play against that line.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:42 PM   #56
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
The Oilers already have a cap crunch, they don't have a lot of room to do this type of thing
And if they do - the Flames likely match.
Not worried.
Do the Flames match at $4 Million? I agree and suspect we will, but I don't think it is an automatic. We have other contracts to worry about as well.

This would be one where the Oilers could mess with a rival's pay structure.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:45 PM   #57
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lindholm was a 40-45pt player for 5 years and has reinvented himself as an elite point producer in his 6th season. New team, same coach but he has exploded into a guy that will likely pass 30 goals and 85pts.

I definitely could see something similar happening to Bennett if the Flames moves him to a new team. I could also see it happening with this team if they remain patient. 5-6 year deal would be my preference after the season and pay a little more now with hopes it will be a steal sooner than later.
Vinny01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 01:13 PM   #58
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm just glad he's changed his game enough to realize that he just can't toe drag around two NHL dmen every time he tries to enter the zone. He'll never be that #1 C we were promised, but if he can put up 40-50 while making the other team miserable, draft position be damned.

Would be really interesting to see where he'd be at if he spent some time in the minors. Was a weird situation with his shoulder(?) injury, but the Flames really oiler'd his development.
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 01:33 PM   #59
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Needs to work on his shot like Johnny did in the off season and then the rest of the tools are there to become a good 2nd liner.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 01:36 PM   #60
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
Good article as always by Johnson

But expect more as his agents try and raise his profile going into free agency.

I still think the Oilers offer sheet him with a 2 year offer at $4Mill per year, which is a 2nd round pick compensation.
A reach by Johnson IMO. Bennett is guy that does nothing really well. Not a great skater. Not a great passer. Doesn't have a shot to save his life. Doesn't think the game overly well. But working in Bennett's favor is he isn't terrible at anything - well maybe his shot is terrible. He does play with some fire, but he's no where near the Doug Gilmour people compared him to in junior. He's a slightly more skilled Eric Nystrom.

Sam Bennett has turned into an effective third liner, who never really came close to his draft pedigree. You want more out a 4th over pick than a guy who tries hard and plays with an edge. You get guys like that in the layer rounds of the draft. Not really Bennett's fault, but the Flames scouting should have been better. I guess we can thank our lucky stars they didn't take Dal Colle.

If anyone offersheets Bennet you take the pick/picks and run. Sam Bennett is a supporting cast player and you don't pay a lot for him. He's Calgary's answer to Charlie Coyle. And Minnesota would love to get out from underneath the last year of his $3.2M contract. Don't overpay for guys who aren't difference makers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post

Landeskog?

I agree. Bennett never becomes a great player. He is what he is, which is an energy player with mediocre skills and no box to bring them all together. I also agree that Bennett is no Landeskog. Bennett will be luck if his point totals equal Landeskog's goal output this year.

Here's all of Bennett's goals this season.

If you take the distance from the paint that Bennett scores his goals, he's lucky if he gets to between the hashmarks and the top of the circles. Can't get excited about this guy and don't want to see the team pay a lot for players like this.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post: