Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-07-2019, 10:01 AM   #1
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Tkachuk: Matthews deal 'definitely set the bar'

https://www.tsn.ca/tkachuk-matthews-...-bar-1.1253751

Quote:
“It kind of changes every year. It seems like there’s always that one guy or a couple of guys that change the money, whether higher or lower,” Tkachuk said. “You had [Connor] McDavid a couple years ago setting the bar there, maybe a guy like [Drew] Doughty setting the bar for free-agent (defencemen), a guy like [Jack] Eichel, too, signing, and now you have Matthews.

“I feel like every year there’s a couple guys, a couple big names every year, who kind of change the way a little bit. I think Auston changed it, too, going with the approach (of) a five-year deal, too. Maybe people haven’t seen that in a couple years, but it’s not like, uncommon. Guys used to do that all the time. He definitely set the bar.”
So this negotiation is going to be fascinating. Not sure how Tkachuk can get paid $8m+ on a team where the rest of the core is getting less than $7m. I'm starting to think the way this comes full circle is with Tkachuk signing a 3-4 year contract at $6.7m to keep him on the same footing as Giordano and Johnny - and arguably that's how important Tkachuk is to this team.

Three years would take him to one year before free agency. Four years would allow the Johnny and Tkachuk contracts to reset together as Giordano comes off the books. It would also make a lot of sense - Gio comes off the books and retires. Johnny gets an "A" and Tkachuk gets a "C" and they both get new contracts like Toews and Kane did. It also gives Tkachuk the option to bolt to free agency very early if he want to...
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2019, 10:03 AM   #2
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

fml
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2019, 10:05 AM   #3
Mattman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think Tkachuk will get around 7.2 - 8.5 for about 5+ years.

But Brad Treliving never fails to surprise me with his contract extensions. He's been bang on with pretty much every contract negotiation (outside of free agents).
Old 02-07-2019, 10:06 AM   #4
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I won't be surprised if it drags out until training camp.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2019, 10:07 AM   #5
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

8.4-8.6 x 7 is my guess. Needs to be a 7yr deal min so he's not negotiating the same year as Johnny, Monny or Lindholm. I think that is fair as he's in a hard spot to grab a top line spot on the team right now. The asks will start around 10, the team will start with Johnny's deal, they'll meet near the middle
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Icon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2019, 10:08 AM   #6
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for nothing Dubas.
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chummer For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2019, 10:08 AM   #7
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
I hope it does not, when this happened with Gaudreau, he and the team was so flat footed for the start of that season. If we can get it done before September, awesome
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to savardandjokinen For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2019, 10:08 AM   #8
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Toronto didn't have much choice in agreeing to a shorter term, given their cap situation and the Marner deal yet to come. I don't think the Flames are quite in that situation, but I could see a shorter term, as the Flames have gone a little shorter on Johnny and Mony than what most fans wanted. There is risk, but if the team can remain competitive and manages the cap reasonably well, they could still re-sign him on the next contract.
The big issue with the Matthews deal is that 11.6 seems a bit much for so few UFA years.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:08 AM   #9
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tkachuk will not come cheap unless he decides his family is already rich enough.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:09 AM   #10
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Happy for Tkachuk. He is going to get paaaaaaaaid.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:11 AM   #11
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
I would expect that to happen. Hopefully, he doesn’t miss much of TC, butI think this is where Treliving can exert some leverage: Tkachuk is a really smart, really observant kid. He no doubt sees how much Nylander’s holdout has affected his season; he must also sense that there is an opportunity here, now with the Flames to make a championship push. These are screws that Treliving can turn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:12 AM   #12
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah that's pretty normal these days, it is also one of the only ways to hammer out a decent contract. Tkachuk will get paid, but good players deserve money, and the Flames have savings elsewhere on their team, so it wont be a cap hell situation like Chicago, or L.A has.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:12 AM   #13
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
https://www.tsn.ca/tkachuk-matthews-...-bar-1.1253751

So this negotiation is going to be fascinating. Not sure how Tkachuk can get paid $8m+ on a team where the rest of the core is getting less than $7m. I'm starting to think the way this comes full circle is with Tkachuk signing a 3-4 year contract at $6.7m to keep him on the same footing as Giordano and Johnny - and arguably that's how important Tkachuk is to this team.

Three years would take him to one year before free agency. Four years would allow the Johnny and Tkachuk contracts to reset together as Giordano comes off the books. It would also make a lot of sense - Gio comes off the books and retires. Johnny gets an "A" and Tkachuk gets a "C" and they both get new contracts like Toews and Kane did. It also gives Tkachuk the option to bolt to free agency very early if he want to...
That was an option discussed on 960, and has some positives. The team will also have a better idea of money because of Brodie/Hamonic/Stone money going away or being redone.

The only issue is that it makes extensions of Johnny, Monnie and Tkachuk happen really close together, creating a Marner/Nylander/Matthews situation.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:15 AM   #14
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I don't think the Matthews thing does much for Tkachuk as a comparable. There are a lot of guys more relevant to Tkachuk's number coming up

I see it as a series of tiers. In the first tier, you basically have Matthews, Eichel and McDavid. A tier below that will be Marner, Rantanen, Laine and Point. A tier below that is where you find Tkachuk and probably Aho. Then below that you have Boeser, Connor, maybe Meier - the guys who haven't managed to put up a PPG but are still major contributors. Once a few of those start getting signed you should be able to figure out what the range is. I still think it's an AAV around 8.5ish, but I'm less and less sure about the full 8 year term.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2019, 10:15 AM   #15
Rollin22x
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Tkachuk will not come cheap unless he decides his family is already rich enough.
But it's not his money!
I'm sure he's inclined to earn his own.
Rollin22x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:17 AM   #16
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Rare major misstep by Treliving not getting this deal done last summer when the media was saying it was close. That said he's done amazing on every other deal he's signed excepting Neal so tough to be too hard on him.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:18 AM   #17
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

8X8 seemed a stretch for Chucky in the summer, now I'm sure BT would take it and run.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:18 AM   #18
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

I suppose a lot depends how Chucky finishes the year and what his ask is. If his ask is too high and they wont budge the Flames might trade him? I would be shocked if Treliving goes higher than 7.5. Chucky is good but is he just having a really good year? Might try for a bridge deal so see how he trends.
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:19 AM   #19
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Yeah, I don't think the Matthews thing does much for Tkachuk as a comparable. There are a lot of guys more relevant to Tkachuk's number coming up

I see it as a series of tiers. In the first tier, you basically have Matthews, Eichel and McDavid. A tier below that will be Marner, Rantanen, Laine and Point. A tier below that is where you find Tkachuk and probably Aho. Then below that you have Boeser, Connor, maybe Meier - the guys who haven't managed to put up a PPG but are still major contributors. Once a few of those start getting signed you should be able to figure out what the range is. I still think it's an AAV around 8.5ish, but I'm less and less sure about the full 8 year term.

Tkachuk is in the same tier as Laine and probably Point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2019, 10:20 AM   #20
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Does Tkachuk get an offer sheet?