Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2019, 04:45 PM   #21
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

A lot of interesting threads since pot was legalized.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2019, 06:54 PM   #22
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicChamp View Post
It's no secret that our 2nd line is not working. Bennet did deserve a shot but I think it's time we give another player a shot to play with Backlund and Tkachuk.
I know Jankowski is a natural centre but does not mean he can't play wing.
Also I think that it time change the powerplay units.
To more traditional units. I think we don't the the talent up front to use 2 eatra forwards on the pp.

Here's my lines.
Gaudreau Monohan Lindholm
Tkachuk Backlund Jankowski
Bennett Ryan Frolik
Neal Hathaway Dube/Czarnik
Giordano Brodie
Hanifin Hamonic
Andersson Kylington?Valimaki
Rittich
Smith

PP1
Gaudreau Monohan Lindholm
Giordano Brodie
PP2
Tkachuck Backlund Jankowski
Hanifin Hamonic
Hamonic and Hanifin are better Neal, Ryan, or Czarnik, on the point.

Next Pk unit could change with these as well.

PK1
Backlund Jankowski
Giordano Brodie

PK2
Ryan Bennett
Hanifin Hamonic

Pk3
Monohan Lindholm
Andersson Kylington

Next what to do at the trade deadline. I think dealing with Ottawa would good for maybe a low dman like Stone, Smith and a 2nd round pick for Dzingel, And Nilsson.

Nilsson is younger then Smith, Stone barely played all season.
I am perfectly happy with the 3M line as of last night. No other combination tried to date has been half as good as the original 3M line.

Jankowski has really grown this year and with continued responsibility, will grow into a very good 2C or 3C. I would not like to mess with his development.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:02 PM   #23
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Try him on D, now he has someone for Kyllington to switch with.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:22 PM   #24
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I disagree with moving Jankowski out of center right now. Patience with him is key.

I really do see Jankowski developing along nicely. His defensive acumen is growing, though I am not sure if this is translating into positive advanced metrics. I do think he has continually been moving forward in his development.

The key for me whether to move a guy out of center and onto the wing is: "is his head below water consistently"? When I see Jankowski play, at times it is, and there are definitely moments in the game where his line is being hemmed in their zone (though there are times this is also said of every line, including Backlund's). I just don't see a guy that is overwhelmed out there, at least not for a long stretch anyway.

I also argue that Gulutzan simply didn't have the patience to keep Bennett at center and allow him to go through some growing pains (while also throwing Brouwer onto his shoulders when he did try it).

3rd line center is a great spot for Jankowski to grow in, and gives him a good amount of responsibility against most teams without having to consistently play against the league's best centers. Even when he does, he often doesn't look overwhelmed out there.

I like him at center. I think he is a good skater, he has a really long reach that helps him shield the puck/re-gain the puck, he seems to have a fairly high IQ and I really do think he is a good distributor of the puck. I definitely see him growing into a really good 2nd line center in time.

This will not get a lot of thanks (if any) but to me, Bennett SHOULD be that 2nd line center, and I bet he would have been by now had it not been for Gulutzan. The second best puck carrier on the team I think is Bennett. He keeps up with Gaudreau on those puck relay races. I just think that offensively, his confidence is about as high as a leprechaun at a giant's only mixer for singles. Bennett continually makes fantastic decisions defensively and has grown his game in every single facet that you want a center to realize growth in EXCEPT offensively (where he has notably regressed since his rookie season). If I am Peters and Ward, I am going to sit down with Bennett a tonne and do whatever it takes to get this kid going. If he does, this team will be that much more dangerous.

Let's just not screw up Jankowski. Sure, we have Dube coming up the ranks, but he may never be anywhere close to a top 6 scorer. I just hope the organization continues to show Jankowski the patience it has thus far. Who knows how good he will eventually get? He has the physical attributes (size, skating ability and hands) as well as the IQ to become a rather dominating center if his development doesn't stall.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2019, 08:33 PM   #25
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I blame Bennett for all of this.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:32 PM   #26
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
This will not get a lot of thanks (if any) but to me, Bennett SHOULD be that 2nd line center, and I bet he would have been by now had it not been for Gulutzan. The second best puck carrier on the team I think is Bennett. He keeps up with Gaudreau on those puck relay races. I just think that offensively, his confidence is about as high as a leprechaun at a giant's only mixer for singles. Bennett continually makes fantastic decisions defensively and has grown his game in every single facet that you want a center to realize growth in EXCEPT offensively (where he has notably regressed since his rookie season). If I am Peters and Ward, I am going to sit down with Bennett a tonne and do whatever it takes to get this kid going. If he does, this team will be that much more dangerous.
I just haven't seen the consistent vision and playmaking from Bennett to think he'd be a centre. Not sure having a better coach than Gulutzan changes that at all. And I bet you that Treliving had a lot of input into whether Bennett would stay at centre or not. I don't think there's any way Bennett would've been moved out of centre permanently without management and our scouts being on board with the idea.

Don't forget Bill Peters wondered if Bennett should be a winger or a centre when he first joined on. Since then? I don't think he's played him at centre at all. So clearly Peters thinks Jankowski is better at centre then Bennett is as well.

We were always going to have to move one of Bennett and Jankowski to the wing once Backlund was re-signed since we were never going to move Backlund or Monahan to the wing. I think GG, Treliving and now Peters have made the right choice. Out of the two Bennett is the better winger and Jankowski the better centre IMO.
Flames Draft Watcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:41 PM   #27
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:11 PM   #28
crapshoot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Jesus, really letting everything out in the piling on department right here.
crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 12:14 AM   #29
1Nite
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Has he had experience playing wing? Because I would be more crazy by doing this

JG SM MJ - Jankowski has some nice hands, would be nice to see what he could do with some skilled guys.

MT EL JN -As good as Tkachuk is with the 3M, he could flourish more offensively, away from a shutdown line, since the 2013 draft I have wanted Lindholm as a center, he would still get PP time with Monahan and Gaudreau, and maybe they could get Neal going.

SB MB MF- Let Backlund shine doing what he does best, Bennett played some of his best hockey, playing with these two.

AC DR GH- leftovers?

If I had NHL 2019, this is what I would like to see, before the Peters blender.
1Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 06:01 AM   #30
TheOnlyBilko
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
A lot of interesting threads since pot was legalized.

Is there really people that started smoking weed just because it became legal?

On a side note if we try anyone on the right side we shud give that Hanfinin guy a shot on 2nd line