Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2019, 10:41 AM   #21
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Why would Tkachuk get the Draisaitl special contract? I have a hard time believing he's going to get that much money from Treliving. I like what he brings but to me he's not an $8 million player.
I think he is, which is going to be fantastic when he gets less.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2019, 10:42 AM   #22
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

do a lot of you subscribe to the Athletic? Worth it?
Duffalufagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:43 AM   #23
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Nuke this thread.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:52 AM   #24
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Why would Tkachuk get the Draisaitl special contract?
A +$80 m salary cap v a $75 m salary cap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:53 AM   #25
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Nuke this thread.
Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:57 AM   #26
Caboose
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffalufagus View Post
do a lot of you subscribe to the Athletic? Worth it?
I do and I would highly recommend. Tons of hockey and Flames content, and it's terrific for other sports as well. High quality writing in my opinion.

Sent from my TA-1025 using Tapatalk
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Caboose For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2019, 10:57 AM   #27
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stating the obvious: Tkachuk's contract will depend a lot on what happens in the playoffs. It's hardly even worth speculating about until the summer.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:01 PM   #28
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Why would Tkachuk get the Draisaitl special contract? I have a hard time believing he's going to get that much money from Treliving. I like what he brings but to me he's not an $8 million player.
Well his PPG this year says otherwise. At this rate he’ll blow Draisaitls best season out of the water.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:11 PM   #29
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Well his PPG this year says otherwise. At this rate he’ll blow Draisaitls best season out of the water.
Well to be fair scoring is up significantly league wide this season. In addition to that Tkachuk sits fourth on the Flames in points, whereas Leon was 2nd on the Oilers by 26 points with 77 on the year.

The biggest factor however was that Leon was coming off an absolutely dominant playoff where he put up 16 points in 13 games and was by far the team's best player (well ahead of McDavid)

Last edited by HighLifeMan; 01-09-2019 at 12:13 PM.
HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:16 PM   #30
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Except everyone agrees that Draisaitl is overpaid, and that the overpayment was in part based on him centering his own line and thus providing top level scoring on two lines.

Tkachuk's comparables are top line wingers. Discounting Draisaitl and Giroux, the highest active RFA winger contracts are guys like Gaudreau and Hall at between $6-7M.

It is true that for upcoming seasons, you have Nylander's weird contract which, for most years is under $7M, Mark Stone at $7.35 (but only a 1 year deal), Wheeler at $8.25 (but he was to be a UFA).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:18 PM   #31
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nylander's contract is functionally a 7.5M cap hit, and Tkachuk is better than Nylander. And I happen to think very highly of Nylander. But Draisaitl's contract was largely based on a playoff run, and there's every reason to think that Tkachuk's will be as well.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 01-09-2019, 12:22 PM   #32
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Nylander's contract is functionally a 7.5M cap hit, and Tkachuk is better than Nylander. And I happen to think very highly of Nylander. But Draisaitl's contract was largely based on a playoff run, and there's every reason to think that Tkachuk's will be as well.
There's a huge reason to believe that it won't be based on a single PO run like Draisaitl's.

I think Nylander is OK but way overpaid for what he is.

ETA: CapFriendly has Nylander at $6.9 cap hit for all but year one. So functionally that's what it is for every year except this one.

Last edited by GioforPM; 01-09-2019 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:23 PM   #33
redpaint
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Stating the obvious: Tkachuk's contract will depend a lot on what happens in the playoffs. It's hardly even worth speculating about until the summer.

Even if he performs, I would like to see Matthew take a pay reduction just for the sake of the team. Dude is the ultimate team player and just like Gio, Johnny and Monny, his demands shouldn't cripple the team moving forward and allow us flexibility to keep adding pieces. I would guess 6.85-7.2 avg. Especially when your family is already loaded. Keeping the core and building a dynasty should be Tkachuk's main goal and I'm sure Treliving will help him see the light!
Old 01-09-2019, 12:25 PM   #34
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpaint View Post
Even if he performs, I would like to see Matthew take a pay reduction just for the sake of the team. Dude is the ultimate team player and just like Gio, Johnny and Monny, his demands shouldn't cripple the team moving forward and allow us flexibility to keep adding pieces. I would guess 6.85-7.2 avg. Especially when your family is already loaded. Keeping the core and building a dynasty should be Tkachuk's main goal and I'm sure Treliving will help him see the light!
Tkachuk's family (in particular his dad) was known for hard tactics in contract negotiation. I doubt Tkachuk will give a team discount.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2019, 12:28 PM   #35
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
ETA: CapFriendly has Nylander at $6.9 cap hit for all but year one. So functionally that's what it is for every year except this one.
Right, and this one is much higher. The total value over the number of games he plays comes out to 7.5m. The holdout made it a little weird. I don't think Nylander is overpaid, personally, based on his body of work... but he hasn't been great since he came back so I'm sure that's the prevailing narrative. It's also worth noting that they didn't buy UFA years, and I wouldn't be surprised if Treliving wants to do so with Tkachuk. So if it were signed today, I'm sure a max term extension would come in over 8. But it won't be signed today, of course, and a lot will depend on what happens between now and June.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:31 PM   #36
ignite
Farm Team Player

Exp:

This year's Flames certainly have the Identity to succeed. If the Supremacy they've shown over the last couple months, is an indication, the team will do well.

Each player has answered the Ultimatum given by Peters at the beginning of the season.

Hopefully the 2019 Flames will leave a Legacy of winning.

Overall a good article by J. Bourne.
ignite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:32 PM   #37
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Right, and this one is much higher. The total value over the number of games he plays comes out to 7.5m. The holdout made it a little weird. I don't think Nylander is overpaid, personally, based on his body of work... but he hasn't been great since he came back so I'm sure that's the prevailing narrative. It's also worth noting that they didn't buy UFA years, and I wouldn't be surprised if Treliving wants to do so with Tkachuk. So if it were signed today, I'm sure a max term extension would come in over 8. But it won't be signed today, of course, and a lot will depend on what happens between now and June.
Cap hit is cap hit. I don't care that the owners are willing to pay him a whole lot this year. His contract says his team value for the years after this is under $7 and I think that's more than fair.

I would think 8 is the max for Tkachuk and I suspect it's going to be far less than that. Everyone here has overestimated almost every big contract Treliving has done, from Gio to Lindholm. Often by millions.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:36 PM   #38
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignite View Post
This year's Flames certainly have the Identity to succeed. If the Supremacy they've shown over the last couple months, is an indication, the team will do well.

Each player has answered the Ultimatum given by Peters at the beginning of the season.

Worked 5 years for the Score. Leafs analyst. Works for the Fan.

Definitely more Jeremy Renner than Matt Damon
Old 01-09-2019, 12:48 PM   #39
goflamesgo18
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Tkachuk's family (in particular his dad) was known for hard tactics in contract negotiation. I doubt Tkachuk will give a team discount.
I dont see him using the same hard ball tactics. Tkachuk could prob get 9M+ from some teams, and if he wont settle for less then trade him for a boat load.

My guess is 7x7
goflamesgo18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 01:00 PM   #40
Dx54
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignite View Post

lol well played
Dx54 is offline   Reply With Quote