Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-19-2019, 10:33 PM   #161
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I’ve never liked Stroman’s game or his attitude and have been pretty vocal about that over the years in here. That said, good on him for getting ahead of Blue Jays management throwing him under the bus when he leaves. He loves Toronto, sells a ####load of his HDMD merch in this country, and he isn’t going to let Rogers write their own narrative as to why he is leaving. He’s yet another example of a guy willing to stay in Toronto, but Jays management won’t pay to keep him. I don’t think in this case he’s worth the money he will command, but it wouldn’t matter anyways even if he was.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 02-20-2019 at 08:05 AM.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:39 PM   #162
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
I’ve never liked Stroman’s game or his attitude and have been pretty vocal about that over the years in here. That said, good on him for getting ahead of Blue Jays management throwing him under the bus when he leaves. He loves Toronto, sells a ####load of his HDMD merch in this country, and he isn’t going to let Rogers right their own narrative as to why he is leaving. He’s yet another example of a guy willing to stay in Toronto, but Jays management won’t pay to keep him. I don’t think in this case he’s worth the money he will command, but it wouldn’t matter anyways even if he was.
200 innings a year and an era under 5 when he's healthy in the AL East is not an easy thing to do. If it was easy, everyone would do it. That has value. And if the guy lives and breathes for the city when historically it's an issue keeping guys, go with the devil you know and call it a day.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2019, 10:38 AM   #163
cross16
Scoring Winger

Exp:

With the Padres signing Machado it will be interesting to see if the Stroman trade rumors pop back up, as it was apparently the Padres in pursuit.

Hard to believe the Padres are willing to pay Machado that kind of money and roll with the current pitching staff they have even with the high end potential arms they have.
cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:27 PM   #164
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
200 innings a year and an era under 5 when he's healthy in the AL East is not an easy thing to do. If it was easy, everyone would do it. That has value. And if the guy lives and breathes for the city when historically it's an issue keeping guys, go with the devil you know and call it a day.
I just don’t think he can keep it up. He has zero downward trajectory on his pitches and to get the velocity he needs on his pitches to be effective he has to really abuse the frame of his body.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:26 PM   #165
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
That to me is one of the most frustrating aspects of the Shapiro Atkins regime.

The Blue Jays are historically very low on free agents list of desired destinations. Yet when we have guys like Encarnacion, Donaldson, Happ and now Stroman; pretty damn good players and guys who all loved playing in Toronto and wanted to be a Blue Jay, get shipped out or not re-signed I find it very frustrating. This is all compounded by the fact that they are going this cash-efficient route despite being owned by a family worth billions. The Jays have every reason to act like a large market team and sign players to what they're worth yet they're behaving like a penny pinching small market franchise. That is my biggest beef with the Jays.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 12:05 PM   #166
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post

The Blue Jays are historically very low on free agents list of desired destinations. Yet when we have guys like Encarnacion, Donaldson, Happ and now Stroman; pretty damn good players and guys who all loved playing in Toronto and wanted to be a Blue Jay, get shipped out or not re-signed I find it very frustrating. This is all compounded by the fact that they are going this cash-efficient route despite being owned by a family worth billions. The Jays have every reason to act like a large market team and sign players to what they're worth yet they're behaving like a penny pinching small market franchise. That is my biggest beef with the Jays.
Not to mention, the Jays literally have the biggest market in the entire MLB.
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hockey Fan #751 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2019, 12:12 PM   #167
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post

Atkins and Shapiro run the Blue Jays like they're still in Cleveland. It's infuriating. Two good seasons out of 25 is a batting average of .080. Fantastic.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 12:39 PM   #168
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's annoying is that much of the mainstream media is owned and controlled by the same ownership group, so you only hear them agree with almost all decisions. They just serve as spokespersons. I wish it was an independent entity at the very least.
agulati is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to agulati For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2019, 04:18 PM   #169
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
What's annoying is that much of the mainstream media is owned and controlled by the same ownership group, so you only hear them agree with almost all decisions. They just serve as spokespersons. I wish it was an independent entity at the very least.

That's the frustrating part. When Rogers first bought them, literally sportscasters would say things like, "I'm not sure how much I can say right now", and you'd have others who'd totally kiss company butt. After awhile it's loosened up a bit to the point where there is some simple critique, but nobody's going after them like a pundit. You sometimes need those extremes to keep guys honest.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2019, 04:49 PM   #170
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Mark Feinsand@Feinsand
Sources: Blue Jays to sign RHP Clay Buchholz. Buchholz was 7-2 with a 2.01 ERA in 16 starts for the Dbacks in 2018.\

Apaprently they're signing Bud Norris as well. Might as well load up on vets you can trade for something younger later in the season.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2019, 05:48 PM   #171
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tulo cracked a dinger off the Blue Jays the other day in spring training. Was pretty pumped about it while rounding the bases, and then said after the game it felt extra special to do that against the team that "told him he can't play anymore". He's definitely got an axe to grind with Shatkins lol.

I guess he hit another ST dinger today too. Watch that bugger light it up for the Yankees.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:06 PM   #172
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do you think management without a reputation will tell a veteran player that, "you can't play anymore"? The whole situation does add up. In order to essentially pay for his contract for doing nothing team management would have had to go to Rogers management and give a compelling reason why they should spend that money buying him out. The "you can't play anymore" or some derivation of it wouldn't fly. They're not complete amateurs, and had to produce some medical opinion and/or some argument of Tulo being a pain to be around. As for Troy, I guess as an athlete he needs to get himself pumped, or it wouldn't surprise me if Stro gave him the beachball being the non-pro he is (but that's another argument). But Troy is finished career wise. Great that he has his confidence because that's half the challenge in sports, but his body hasn't been good in a few years and there's very little chance he can recover at this age IMO. So my call still stands at under 50 games played before is released (and we can shut the door on his ass).
Old 02-28-2019, 08:48 PM   #173
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Ya I don't think the Blue Jays ever said Tulowitzki can't play anymore. They just didn't feel like he was a starting MLB short stop and hitting a completely meaningless dinger in the 2nd game of spring training doesn't change my mind.

If Tulo lights it up for the Yanks I will be blown away. If he plays more than 100 games this season I will be blown away. I still think he is done.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2019, 10:02 PM   #174
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Pretty good discussion today between Brunt and Cliff Lee on Guerrero. Atkins saying Guerrero wasn’t MLB ready was a polite way of saying he needs to loose some weight and take his conditioning seriously. Vlad wouldn’t be starting in the show this year regardless but I have to say, Vlad’s weight/conditioning is defiantly a concern. Don’t want to see him go down the Prince Fielder route
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2019, 08:46 AM   #175
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Guerrero has looked pretty chunky this spring training. I didn't give it much thought but they're probably onto something.

As for the two recent pitcher signings, I think that's exactly what the management should have done from the start. Guys with significant upside. May not work, but it's worth a try to work with and hopefully deal at the deadline for a good prospect. Good moves.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:08 AM   #176
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Vlad's only played 2 out of 5 games so far this spring training. Is that normal? He only played 4 all of last spring training (13 ABs). That seems odd to me.
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 11:32 AM   #177
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Pretty good discussion today between Brunt and Cliff Lee on Guerrero. Atkins saying Guerrero wasn’t MLB ready was a polite way of saying he needs to loose some weight and take his conditioning seriously. Vlad wouldn’t be starting in the show this year regardless but I have to say, Vlad’s weight/conditioning is defiantly a concern. Don’t want to see him go down the Prince Fielder route
I'm sure the Jay's executives are trying to say all the right things.

However I doubt the Jay's true concern is his conditioning.

It could be related to the following;

https://canoe.com/sports/baseball/to...f-2ea8ed44f1ee

"Players association concerned over Blue Jays 'manipulation' of phenom Vlad Guerrero Jr."

"The Major League Baseball Players Association is monitoring how Jays management is handling Guerrero’s delayed promotion to the big leagues and will make it a prime point of discussion when executive director Tony Clark visits Jays training camp here later in March."
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 04:49 PM   #178
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's within the CBA. I'm not exactly sure what they're going to "monitor". It's well within the Jays' rights to exercise any decision they make. They'll make the appropriate excuse and the PA won't have a leg to stand on.
Old 03-03-2019, 03:52 PM   #179
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
It's within the CBA. I'm not exactly sure what they're going to "monitor". It's well within the Jays' rights to exercise any decision they make. They'll make the appropriate excuse and the PA won't have a leg to stand on.
It’s more a warning. PA won’t have a leg to stand on no, but can advise players to avoid the Blue Jays because their execs are unthruthful and slimy.
For whatever it’s worth, which is nothing, but still won’t look good on those two.

Back to the Harper thing, sound like the Jays made a basic, token inquiry to Harpers agent, likely when checking on other Boras clients. They had as much desire to sign him as they do me.
These two guys are not here to spend, they never were and never will. Even it’s for a franchise player in the prime of his career.

AA almost seemingly signed a “ let me get Price and I’ll quit at the end of the season” contract with Rogers, which is the only way Rogers allowed the moves that AA made the last two seasons of his tenure, to go through.

Rolling out Shapiro before AA was gone, awkwardness softened as the Jays focus was the impending post season, goes to show just how stubborn Rogers is ever going to be.

They’re putting all the chips on Bichette and Vladimir, hoping to put a bit of a team around them so they get more then 12k fans per game, hopefully flip the Norris’ and like, at the deadline for more young assets. Rinse and repeat and hope that someone or a handful of random guys come through with career seasons all at the same time..

But commit and spend for a franchise player, when Harper will be contracted 6 or more years longer than those guys are in the Jays office? No way.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 04:27 PM   #180
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
It’s more a warning. PA won’t have a leg to stand on no, but can advise players to avoid the Blue Jays because their execs are unthruthful and slimy.
For whatever it’s worth, which is nothing, but still won’t look good on those two.

Back to the Harper thing, sound like the Jays made a basic, token inquiry to Harpers agent, likely when checking on other Boras clients. They had as much desire to sign him as they do me.
These two guys are not here to spend, they never were and never will. Even it’s for a franchise player in the prime of his career.

AA almost seemingly signed a “ let me get Price and I’ll quit at the end of the season” contract with Rogers, which is the only way Rogers allowed the moves that AA made the last two seasons of his tenure, to go through.

Rolling out Shapiro before AA was gone, awkwardness softened as the Jays focus was the impending post season, goes to show just how stubborn Rogers is ever going to be.

They’re putting all the chips on Bichette and Vladimir, hoping to put a bit of a team around them so they get more then 12k fans per game, hopefully flip the Norris’ and like, at the deadline for more young assets. Rinse and repeat and hope that someone or a handful of random guys come through with career seasons all at the same time..

But commit and spend for a franchise player, when Harper will be contracted 6 or more years longer than those guys are in the Jays office? No way.

I suspect the same strategy for Rogers, but I can't agree with the last paragraph. The Jays cannot afford to sign a player like Harper - it was absolutely screw the rest of the team as the pay structure would become top heavy. Plus a 13 year contract as we all know, is crippling. I have no problem with them pursuing Harper or anyone else who is demanding a contract greater than 6 years, especially at a premium price. And I don't feel bad about it as 80% of the league can't afford that contract given the tv contracts most franchises don't have (or gate revenue). Makes sense for them to sign two really good guys at that price rather than 1 franchise guy, IMO.