Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-15-2018, 06:34 AM   #21
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
After watching that awesomely entertaining game I'd like to see this modified lineup next game:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Czarnik
Frolik - Backlund - Neal
Tkachuk - Bennett - Lindholm
Klimchuk - Jankowski - Ryan

Gio-Brodie
Hanifin-Hamonic
Kulak-Andersson

Smith
Enough with this. Bennett at centre is not gonna happen.

At this point, I'd rather have Mike Smith play third line centre than Bennett.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 06:39 AM   #22
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was fun despite the shootout being the decider

Happy with all the new acquisitions so far. Czarnik surprised me, that could be a hidden gem. Same with Ryan, he looked really good out there. Hanifin can skate so well, and Lindholm, well 2 points speak for itself. Neal seemed to have a little rust but I'm not sure the Backlund line is the best role for him. Looked dangerous on the PP though for sure

The best part though was seeing how good Brodie looked out there.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:00 AM   #23
locsofblu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
Enough with this. Bennett at centre is not gonna happen.

At this point, I'd rather have Mike Smith play third line centre than Bennett.
Absolutely. Bennett at this point is a bottom 6 winger and nothing more. He shows flashes here and there but lacks finish at the NHL level. We all know that he is way to inconsistent when he plays center as well.
With that being said I liked what I saw from the boys tonight except for those 2 minutes in the first period. Lot's of reasons to finally be optimistic this year!
locsofblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:01 AM   #24
UKflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It was a preseason game but so good to have flames hockey back.
People who stood out to me:
Ryan - this guy could turn out to be an absolute steal if he plays like that every game. He was involved every time he was on the ice and that line as a whole kept generating chances.

Hamonic - he seems way better even in just this one game. Getting involved in the rush, shooting the puck, clearing the zone. I think we see a much better version of Hamonic this year.

Czarnik - kids got wheels and skills, gelled well with Ryan and could have had a couple, no surprise he was sought after. Looking like another great addition.

The Bennett/Jankowski line got better as the game went on but they are still not quite putting it all together but there was some flashes of what they can do and that gives me some hope.

Kulak - Disappointed me today, seemed to lose a lots pucks and battles in our end. Could lose his spot if he keeps on like this.

Gillies - a pretty good game except for a strange two minutes where the wheels fell off. Part of that was the opportunities that the whole team gave the bruins but if he saves the second goal things settle down again and it is a different game. Needs to play higher and big, like Halak did all game.

Lots to like about this team and I can see them getting better and better.

Big round of applause for those of you in Calgary that sat up till the very end, it was nice to have a game start at a reasonable hour for us in Europe for a change.
UKflames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to UKflames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2018, 07:12 AM   #25
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I stayed up until the third bruins goal then threw my toys out of the pram and went to bed. I think I need to shake off the expectation that when the team go down early, they give up. All these comments are good to hear.
iloveicedhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iloveicedhockey For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2018, 07:22 AM   #26
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Lindholm is very very skilled. You know how you can just tell with certain players by the way they move around with the puck on their stick. Made a bunch of slick spins along the half wall and was buzzing around the net all night. He'll be a fan favorite for sure. He could probably reach 60 with Mony & Gaudreau.

Monahan and Gaudreau looked like Monahan and Gaudreau.

Tkachuk looked off today. Passes didn't look as crisp and I sometimes found him chasing the play instead of anticipating it like he normally does. Those hands clearly weren't rusty in the shootout though. Wow.

Czarnik & Ryan are exponential upgrades over Brouwer & Stajan. I love it. I actually didn't think Czarnik looked as fast as some are saying, but he and Ryan are both definitely talented and had a few nifty passing plays.

Hanifin is explosive. You can just see the power in his legs after a few strides. I like what I saw from him.

Kulak/Stone/Hamonic... Meh, meh, meh.

Bennett/Janko/Hathaway trifecta still looks unnatural. Bennett had some flashes though (and what a saucer pass by Jankowski(?)) but lack of finish is still a recurring theme for him dating back to even his rookie season. Had 2 grade A chances and it would have definitely been nice for if he could have potted one.

Neal's legs looked heavy... Him, Chucky and Backs didn't seem to have innate chemistry but it's only like their second or third skates together + the first real hockey action of the season. Too early to make judgement.

All in all the Flames looked quite dominant and will be able to roll 4 lines skilled this season. Hathaway is a 13th forward. Dube, Mangiapane or Foo please.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:45 AM   #27
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Wow love reading peoples takes . Thanks everyone.

So I take it we still are havingndifficulty making opposing teams goalies work as hard as possible with screens and bumps and what not.

We need that if we're going to be successful this year . I see so many teams do that well and we have the personnel to do it too So i hope it's something we work on.

Glad to hear Czarnik impress as well as Ryan .
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 08:00 AM   #28
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bennett-Janko looked like garbage again

Goaltending still a major question mark this season IMO
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2018, 08:11 AM   #29
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didnt get to watch the game, but im pleased to read the game was entertaining and the addition of skill is apparent.

Hoping Brodano looked good, as IMO a return to form of the old Brodie is the key to the Flames having a good year.

Any highlights available ?
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 08:15 AM   #30
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Bennett-Janko looked like garbage again

Goaltending still a major question mark this season IMO
I didn't think Bennett or Janko looked bad. Now Backlund on the other hand was terrible, get that out during pre season.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2018, 08:15 AM   #31
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Here's what I imagine we'll see on the 19th.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Neal
Tkachuk - Backlund - Lindholm
Klimchuk - Ryan - Czarnik
Lazar - Jankowski - Peluso

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Hamonic
Prout - Andersson

Smith

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2018, 08:29 AM   #32
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gee I thought everybody looked better. Even Stone looked better (not that that's saying much). So good to see 1/2 man breakouts again. It's been so long.

This game would've been 2-0 after the first if not for Halak, who was out of his mind.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:37 AM   #33
---Hatrick---
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Hamonic
Prout - Andersson

Smith
You think that Frolik is going to lose a spot to one of Klimchuk, Lazar, or Peluso? Same with Bennett?! Based on what? We haven’t even seen Klimchuk or Peluso in a game yet?
Old 09-15-2018, 08:40 AM   #34
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---Hatrick--- View Post
You think that Frolik is going to lose a spot to one of Klimchuk, Lazar, or Peluso? Same with Bennett?! Based on what? We haven’t even seen Klimchuk or Peluso in a game yet?
That's the point. They brought these guys over to China, they're gonna play them.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 08:41 AM   #35
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Hamonic
Prout - Andersson

Smith
There's just no way Klimchuk suppliants Frolik. Hope you got a good return for Bennett.
sempuki is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sempuki For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2018, 08:41 AM   #36
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLAST View Post
Wow love reading peoples takes . Thanks everyone.

So I take it we still are havingndifficulty making opposing teams goalies work as hard as possible with screens and bumps and what not.

We need that if we're going to be successful this year . I see so many teams do that well and we have the personnel to do it too So i hope it's something we work on.

Glad to hear Czarnik impress as well as Ryan .
Halak had to work hard. Lots of close in chances.

I thought the Flames were by far the better team. Czarnik, Ryan, Hanifin and Lindholm looked really good. Neal played like he always does - he is pretty quiet a lot but then makes a good play. I still don't think Hathaway makes the starting lineup.

I felt bad for Gillies. He had a solid start and then had a tough time for a short period. But he was fine the rest of the game except those long range shots in the SO.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2018, 08:41 AM   #37
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Gee I thought everybody looked better. Even Stone looked better (not that that's saying much). So good to see 1/2 man breakouts again. It's been so long.

This game would've been 2-0 after the first if not for Halak, who was out of his mind.
I was impressed with Stone. Looks like he was given the green light to use his shot a bit more. He had to cover for Kulak a lot though so that pairing got exposed a bit. Would like to see Rasmus there for a game to see if it's any better

Hathaway out Dube in would be another change I'd make pretty quick after the main team gets back to calgary
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 08:47 AM   #38
---Hatrick---
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The only players that I thought struggled a little bit were Backlund, Kulak, and Gillies.
Every line was creating and every line had skill on it. Such a far cry from previous years. It will be so fun to watch all 4 lines creating this season.

Czarnik and Ryan really stood out and had evident chemistry. As others have said, Gaudreau and Monahan were looking dangerous and Lindholm fit in quite nicely.
I thought Brodano looked great and I was actually quite impressed with Hanafin and Hamonic. Hamonic didn’t look like the player he was most of last year. He was skating the puck up and moving really well. Fired a couple hard accurate shots on net too.

Czarnik looks like an absolute steal. Boston must have some very solid depth if they were willing to let this kid go
Old 09-15-2018, 08:49 AM   #39
---Hatrick---
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
That's the point. They brought these guys over to China, they're gonna play them.
Yeah, you’re not wrong. For some reason I thought you meant that would be the opening night roster..
Old 09-15-2018, 08:52 AM   #40
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sempuki View Post
There's just no way Klimchuk suppliants Frolik. Hope you got a good return for Bennett.
He’s saying for the game on the 19th. You know, the other preseason game on a different continent. He is likely correct, the players who didn’t play tonight will be playing next game. So someone has to come out. It doesn’t mean forever, just for the game on the 19th.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote