Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-14-2018, 11:10 AM   #61
LanceUppercut
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Mirtle View Post
The live scores should be in place by next season.
Make sure they can be turned off, some of us record and watch.

Uh... Lance Uppercut.
LanceUppercut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LanceUppercut For This Useful Post:
JD
Old 07-14-2018, 11:17 AM   #62
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Mirtle View Post
The live scores should be in place by next season.
Thanks James! Super pumped about this!
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 11:17 AM   #63
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Im already a subscriber to the Athletic, but Im not reading it much at all since the season ended. But I would love to see additional content similar to what Hockey’s Future use to do. They use to grade new/old prospects in the summer for every team in the NHL and rank team’s prospects relative to the rest of the league and an annual top list of the prospects not in the NHL with scouting reports.

That would be the type of content I wouldn’t be able to replicate or get anywhere else. There’s a lot of opinion pieces which are great. But a deep dive into prospects would be something that would keep me coming back.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2018, 11:41 AM   #64
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnarpy View Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this but you should really hire Darren Haynes.

This post made me think of another area of sports reporting that is, in my opinion, underrepresented. Humour! Downgoesbrown basically has that niche cornered. Are there other up and coming writers that can combine sports with humour?
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2018, 11:58 AM   #65
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Im already a subscriber to the Athletic, but Im not reading it much at all since the season ended. But I would love to see additional content similar to what Hockey’s Future use to do. They use to grade new/old prospects in the summer for every team in the NHL and rank team’s prospects relative to the rest of the league and an annual top list of the prospects not in the NHL with scouting reports.

That would be the type of content I wouldn’t be able to replicate or get anywhere else. There’s a lot of opinion pieces which are great. But a deep dive into prospects would be something that would keep me coming back.
I'm the opposite, in that I'm so starved for sports news in the summer I'm reading any article I can get my hands on. Subscription has been worth the money IMO.
Hockey-and_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 01:42 PM   #66
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Yes. Stats should be used to support an argument, they shouldn't be the argument.

There is far too much grey matter in hockey for stats to be definitive. Yet so many articles today are simply a collection of stats that are attempting to create the argument: player/team A is better than player/team B because X. Not only are the conclusions drawn from those arguments unjustifiable on their own (see grey matter), but, as kermitology mentioned, the writing style is boring and one dimensional.

The trend to this 'analytics' style of writing does nothing for me, and I am sure as hell not going to pay for it. I want to see more articles about the players, more insight, more breakdown of video on set plays and strategies, and more behind the scenes stuff. I can get stats myself.

Oh, I would like to add one more point: never make the mistake that Sportsnet makes and have a guy like Spector providing Flame content. I would rather have no content than a thinly veiled piece from an Oiler homer, pretending to be an insider, and pretending to be unbiased. Integrity matters.
This is why the Athletic should hire Darren Hayes, full stop. It's a huge bonus to the Athletic that he happens to be available right now, if they reach out I'm certain they'll be happy with what they get in him.

The perfect balance between providing data/info while telling it in a palatable story like manner. This would get me in 100%, although I was already swaying toward taking it up.

Last edited by jayswin; 07-14-2018 at 01:44 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 02:12 PM   #67
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Get used to it, this is the future of journalism folks: you get what you pay for.
sempuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 02:20 PM   #68
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Darren Haynes for sure...

Also would like to see more off ice stories about the people, its something really lacking in hockey. We all watch the games and have an opinion. We don't all know where players are from or what moves them. Feel more into the "story" of the team when I know the characters.

Less speculative trade stuff... Been done to death and is totally meaningless. Like reading someone's daydream.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Matty81 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2018, 04:24 PM   #69
UKflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

More real facts and less opinion seems to round up everyone's request, oh and hire you know who.
UKflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:47 PM   #70
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd also be entertained by detailed guest-expert breakdowns on individual techniques. e.g. Connor McDavid's skating, Johnny Gaudreau's head on a swivel, Patrik Laine's one-timer, Brock Boeser's wrister etc

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2018, 06:26 PM   #71
Charcot
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Would love to see Gare Joyce. Great writer and does the sort of depth pieces that make the Athletic great. Not necessarily a Calgary writer, but would be a definite follow.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:00 PM   #72
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charcot View Post
Would love to see Gare Joyce. Great writer and does the sort of depth pieces that make the Athletic great. Not necessarily a Calgary writer, but would be a definite follow.

Gare's a fantastic story-teller.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2018, 08:08 PM   #73
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
Darren Haynes for sure...

Also would like to see more off ice stories about the people, its something really lacking in hockey. We all watch the games and have an opinion. We don't all know where players are from or what moves them. Feel more into the "story" of the team when I know the characters.

Less speculative trade stuff... Been done to death and is totally meaningless. Like reading someone's daydream.
Yeah, it's telling when the most you find out about a guy off the ice is from the flames junior reporter segments.
iloveicedhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:11 PM   #74
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Also: Hire Dave Elston to do cartoons.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2018, 08:45 PM   #75
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

In the comments of his latest FF80F post, Haynes responded to someone posting the link to the job posting:

Quote:
Thanks for this. Firstly, I really appreciate the support. Truly. I’m part flattered, part overwhelmed. As for The Athletic, there are some great writers in Calgary, who I think would be great fits. For ‘classically trained’ journalists in this city, especially sports, there’s been a lot of bloodshed in recent years as newspapers merge, etc. Now could I be a great fit for The Athletic? I’d like to think so, but I’m also not sure full-time is the right fit for me given everything else I have on the go. Life away from the rink is really busy. But we’ll see how things unfold. Thanks again. One way or another, one place or another, I hope to continue writing pieces about the local hockey heroes and who knows, maybe they’ll even play into May sometime! Have a great weekend.
Link: http://www.flamesfrom80feet.ca/2018/...nally.html?m=1

Hope they can still come to some sort of arrangement; count me in as someone who would subscribe just to read his work (follow his Twitter feed in the meantime).

Alternatively, is there some way he could leverage CP’s platform? I admittedly know very little about the whole process but I know his work is very well received here...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2018, 09:44 PM   #76
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

If I had more disposable income I would be an Athletic Supporter... er I mean a subscriber. Your price point seems very fair and maybe I will make adjustments to subscribe.

Getting Darren Haynes would be a very good step and I am sure his writing talents could work on multiple angles for many NHL teams not just the Flames.

Keep up the good work and Cheers to more success.
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 12:26 AM   #77
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Yes. Stats should be used to support an argument, they shouldn't be the argument.

There is far too much grey matter in hockey for stats to be definitive. Yet so many articles today are simply a collection of stats that are attempting to create the argument: player/team A is better than player/team B because X. Not only are the conclusions drawn from those arguments unjustifiable on their own (see grey matter), but, as kermitology mentioned, the writing style is boring and one dimensional.

The trend to this 'analytics' style of writing does nothing for me, and I am sure as hell not going to pay for it. I want to see more articles about the players, more insight, more breakdown of video on set plays and strategies, and more behind the scenes stuff. I can get stats myself.

Oh, I would like to add one more point: never make the mistake that Sportsnet makes and have a guy like Spector providing Flame content. I would rather have no content than a thinly veiled piece from an Oiler homer, pretending to be an insider, and pretending to be unbiased. Integrity matters.
Interestingly, it's our friend Delow who does the best job of using video to illustrate what he is writing about.
He's surprisingly a very, very good read
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:44 AM   #78
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Already a subscriber and will almost certainly re-up when my subscription comes due. Love the more in depth analysis pieces from guys like Bourne and Dellow, especially how Bourne uses video to illustrate his points. Also read everything Eric D writes, just great story-telling.

Things that I'm looking for from The Athletic moving forward:
  • More day-to-day type updates on the Flames (injury updates, prospect pieces, etc.)
  • Better organization of non-major leagues on the website. I love that there is coverage of things like the Canadian national soccer teams, the CPL, the CFL and women's hockey but finding those articles on the site is very tough (most end up under the Toronto section). I even came across a golf writer at one point, but no idea where his stories are located.
  • Darren Haynes - however much he can give with his schedule, he's worth having.
  • Behind the scenes stories of Flames history such as how certain trades/signings/draft picks came together or just pieces on how former Flames remember their teammates (like what was done when Loob was hired)
  • Elston - he posts new cartoons on occasion on Twitter and would be great content if he's interested
Arsenal14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:53 AM   #79
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Whoever you end up choosing should compliment Kent Wilson. He's very advance stats oriented - so for example some of his latest articles suggest that Lindholm has unusually low shot percentages and weak shot suppression numbers. And he discusses why that might be in high level terms and what the implications are. But I'd love to see a writer actually show some tape of this or get an on the ground feel.

The advanced stats (Kent Wilson) gives us a detailed look at what's happening to the team and it's players. And this is super helpful because it tells us where to look. But it doesn't actually look. So Kent can only speculate on the why. He can't say definitively perhaps because he lacks an eye for the game or the game within the game (as opposed to say someone like Tyler delow who is really good at this tape stuff)

For example...the great CP debate of Glen Gully and the flames. The advance stats told us the flames should be scoring more given good possession and high probability scoring chances. And this is super helpful because it told us where to focus our energy and we eventually ended up with two differing opinions of why this might be. But we never got proof of why they weren't scoring more. Therefore the Bingo hypothesis (the team suffered from bad luck and low confidence) and the Gullfoss hypothesis (not enough goals in transition - odd man rushes for example - because the flames played too slow and passive) was never really solved because no one had the expertise to show what was happening.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2018, 01:51 PM   #80
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

+1 for more high level, highly technical analysis of in-game plays.

And also, +1 for off-ice and behind the scenes stuff.

It’s everything in the middle that we don’t need. That’s essentially what CP does already.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote