Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-18-2018, 11:10 AM   #21
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
His value in a trade in the Speculation & Trade thread? Sure thing, go for it.
Okay, let me see here... I'll take a crack at summing up some opinions from the previous thread, so we don't lose our place as we kick off the new thread. He's either a bust or could be one of the most important pieces on our team next year. He never got a chance under GG, but he might under Peters, except that coaching really doesn't matter all that much in the end, untill it does. And he's either invaluable or un-valuable, depending on linemates, time of day (I'm assuming this has a promixity bias in relation to meal times and blood sugar levels) and his age relative to the age of the poster. Ohhh, and beard or no beard, of course.

Personally, I think beardless 22 year-old Sam Bennett with good linemates, and a coach that gives him an oppritunity to play, is our highest draft pick ever.

Last edited by FlamesFanTrev; 06-18-2018 at 11:12 AM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FlamesFanTrev For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2018, 11:12 AM   #22
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Anyone catch Lou on 960 this morning? Sounded like speculation that Minnesota could move Dumba which seems crazy to me. Didn't they lose Haula & Tuch to protect him?
The crazier one is Florida is shopping Petrovic.

Move Smith and Marchessault to protect him and not they will probably trade him for like a 2nd.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:32 AM   #23
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post

Move Smith and Marchessault to protect him and not they will probably trade him for like a 2nd.
Petrovic pretty much dropped to their 7th Dman last year. Mackenzie Weegar outplayed him.
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2018, 11:54 AM   #24
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post

The shine has come off of Petrovic. He has the tools, but not the toolbox.

But yes, that protection scheme for the expansion draft is going to haunt the Panthers for years to come. However, people do forget that it was mostly to dump salary as mandated by the owner. Can't do much if the owner gets too involved in the management of the team.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:58 AM   #25
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I'm pretty leery of Kovy. He is 35 years old, last played NHL hockey in 2013 (albeit at almost a PPG and .3 GPG). His KHL goals and points last year were 31 and 63 in 53 games - what's the NHLe of that? Vollman says .8 but I'm skeptical.
He's 35 years old, but he's ridiculously skilled and one of the best pure goal scorers I've ever seen. He's not Jagr old or anything, so it wouldn't be crazy to automatically expect 20 goals and 50+ points from him still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Uncle View Post
I agree it would be great to have Patches. Given that ahead of the trade deadline it was reported by Kipreos that the ask was “as many as four pieces: a first-rounder, a second-rounder, a warm roster body, and a top prospect.”, unless the price drops significantly I don't see Patches as a Flame.

Bergevin seems to be a loose cannon though so who knows what he'd actually accept.
Bergevin can ask for those pieces all he wants, but clearly he doesn't get the best of trades as you can see from his trade history. A little negotiating on Treliving's part and I could easily see a 1 for 1 trade, Pacioretty for Brodie.

My only issue is that Patches is a LS-LW, so it doesn't really address our lineup problems.

Still, he's a good player that's undervalued the same way Monahan is....because he's quiet.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:01 PM   #26
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Am I the only one who would be pissed if flames traded a top 4 dman for a left shot winger? Flames really need a true RW right shot.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:03 PM   #27
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

If the acquired player was a perennial 25-30 goal scorer I wouldn't care about handedness personally.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2018, 12:09 PM   #28
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
He's 35 years old, but he's ridiculously skilled and one of the best pure goal scorers I've ever seen. He's not Jagr old or anything, so it wouldn't be crazy to automatically expect 20 goals and 50+ points from him still.
Well, no one is Jagr old. He's not even Iginla old. But he is Sedin/Cammalleri/Sharp/Gaborik old.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:12 PM   #29
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
If the acquired player was a perennial 25-30 goal scorer I wouldn't care about handedness personally.

I could live with a left shot rw who has played off wing for most of career. My problem is I see players name that are not just left shot but they primarily play lw. Yes some of these players play rw in a pinch but they are pretty much lw.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:14 PM   #30
Demetric
Scoring Winger

Exp:

i feel who ever signs Kovalchuk will be disappointed with his season, wont be terrible but wont be very good either.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:17 PM   #31
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I'm pretty leery of Kovy. He is 35 years old, last played NHL hockey in 2013 (albeit at almost a PPG and .3 GPG). His KHL goals and points last year were 31 and 63 in 53 games - what's the NHLe of that? Vollman says .8 but I'm skeptical.
Don't worry. He's not coming to Canada.

I'd bet on California.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:30 PM   #32
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A little negotiating on Treliving's part and I could easily see a 1 for 1 trade, Pacioretty for Brodie.
I assume the rebuilding Habs, even if they come down on their trade demands, would wants draft picks and prospects for Pacioretty, not a player who is one year younger.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:01 PM   #33
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
I assume the rebuilding Habs, even if they come down on their trade demands, would wants draft picks and prospects for Pacioretty, not a player who is one year younger.
Ok, no problem.

4th round pick and Kylington.

This is Bergevin we're talking about here. The guy hasn't come close to winning a trade yet.

He also traded Sergachev and Subban away for older and less productive players, so that would seem to counter your point about getting younger and rebuilding.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:07 PM   #34
Demetric
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Ok, no problem.

4th round pick and Kylington.

This is Bergevin we're talking about here. The guy hasn't come close to winning a trade yet.

He also traded Sergachev and Subban away for older and less productive players, so that would seem to counter your point about getting younger and rebuilding.
those trades were a couple years ago, situations change.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:10 PM   #35
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demetric View Post
those trades were a couple years ago, situations change.
The Drouin/Sergachev trade was last off-season.

Let's face it, Bergevin doesn't know what he's doing and he's slowly been running a promising team into the ground. He's going to make some more panic decisions before he's fired, so it would be smart of any GM to take advantage of the situation.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2018, 01:33 PM   #36
Drunk Uncle
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Bergevin can ask for those pieces all he wants, but clearly he doesn't get the best of trades as you can see from his trade history. A little negotiating on Treliving's part and I could easily see a 1 for 1 trade, Pacioretty for Brodie.

My only issue is that Patches is a LS-LW, so it doesn't really address our lineup problems.

Still, he's a good player that's undervalued the same way Monahan is....because he's quiet.
No disagreement there. I think it'd be a coup to get Brodie for Patches in a 1v1 trade though. His true value is probably closer to somewhere between their want and your proposal.

While a RS-RW would be ideal, I don't mind the LS-LW as much as some others. We need goals above all else and Pacioretty would definitely provide that. I think we have a couple guys (Tkachuk/Bennett) that could play their offside wings effectively enough to fit Pacioretty in the line-up.

Last edited by Drunk Uncle; 06-18-2018 at 02:37 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:40 PM   #37
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demetric View Post
i feel who ever signs Kovalchuk will be disappointed with his season, wont be terrible but wont be very good either.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:48 PM   #38
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kovalchuk has good hands but is slow...I also think he will struggle
Old 06-18-2018, 02:06 PM   #39
Drunk Uncle
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Kovalchuk has good hands but is slow...I also think he will struggle
I certainly don't remember Kovalchuk being slow when he was last in the NHL. Is this comment based on his recent play in the KHL?
Old 06-18-2018, 02:08 PM   #40
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kovalchuk was always a really good skater. Haven't seen him play in years though, but in his NHL days he was a burner with size and an elite shot.
Closed Thread