Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 10:38 AM   #4421
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha yeah, I don't blame a Canadian born player for not wanting to play for a Canadian based team. Jesus, all you have to do is read this board after a loss or two for a prime example of why you should stay far away. Sure it's great when the team is winning, but the second things go south out come the pitchforks.

When it comes to hockey, Canadian fans more than any other it seems, take losing personally and it doesn't take much for the insults and personal attacks to start flying. Calgary is not as bad as some other Canadian markets mind you, as at least here the media doesn't usually pile on as badly.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:42 AM   #4422
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
This post reminds me of that meme with the dog saying everything is fine as the house burns down around him. I have yet to see a compelling argument for Bennett not being a bust other than "he's still young". The numbers and eye test have both shown regression every year. Development curves of guys like Backlund and Scheifele are outliers and not really a good thing to bank on happening.

Bennett has been horrible this year. It's not unfair to start entertaining the very real possibility that he is in fact going to bust. There's no point in trading him, I don't think you'd get anything of value for him. Maybe he can salvage a 40 points/year career but he's running out of time. I think the Flames are preparing for what happens if he never realizes his potential.
The Scheifele curve argument is a total fallacy anyway because Sheifele showed improvement every single year until he became what he is today. This is most definitely not the case for Bennett. Hopefully something clicks but right now it’d be silly to count on it happening as part of building a team.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:46 AM   #4423
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Re: Schiefele/Bennett comparison, not all prospects show a continuous upward projection year after year as they develop.

Look at Nazem Kadri for example.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2017, 10:47 AM   #4424
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:
icon53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Haha yeah, I don't blame a Canadian born player for not wanting to play for a Canadian based team. Jesus, all you have to do is read this board after a loss or two for a prime example of why you should stay far away. Sure it's great when the team is winning, but the second things go south out come the pitchforks.

When it comes to hockey, Canadian fans more than any other it seems, take losing personally and it doesn't take much for the insults and personal attacks to start flying. Calgary is not as bad as some other Canadian markets mind you, as at least here the media doesn't usually pile on as badly.
I’m sure he appreciates your support. Probably makes all the difference in the world. It must be painful for him.

To everyone else not named Roof Daddy, how dare you!
Old 12-01-2017, 10:48 AM   #4425
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

if you want to find a comparison. Please also find one that basically had to miss a development year due to injury, to see how that affects their short term trajectory.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:49 AM   #4426
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Bennett’s trajectory looks like B. Schenn. We won’t really see that PPG player until it’s really later in his career.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:53 AM   #4427
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
I think Bennett’s trajectory looks like B. Schenn. We won’t really see that PPG player until it’s really later in his career.
Could be. Might not be. Point is I dont think anyone should dismiss the talk that he looks like a bust, because right now he does. That said I see no point in trading him unless his play actively starts hurting the team (which isnt the case right now) or he asks for a trade. Hopefully something just clicks, hes played well the last couple games, hopefully that continues.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:54 AM   #4428
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
I’m sure he appreciates your support. Probably makes all the difference in the world. It must be painful for him.

To everyone else not named Roof Daddy, how dare you!
Haha. I get down on the team and players too. I just find a way to walk away from it for a bit instead of over reacting and climbing on the "Fire Glue Gun" bandwagon, or before going on the internet and spreading unsubstantiated "such and such a player parties too hard and does cocaine all the time" rumors.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:56 AM   #4429
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
And I don't mean to crap on your trade ideas. A rental player might be more willing to waive his NTC for a couple of months in a city he doesn't want to be in.

Just telling you what is out there.
I really appreciate your knowledge and it's info that is nice to know
Old 12-01-2017, 11:10 AM   #4430
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

things are going to really get interesting in ottawa....

Quote:
"When I go to market, I'm going to get what I'm worth, and it's going to be no less, no matter where I'm going," Karlsson told Ken Warren of the Ottawa Sun.
"That's the business part of it ... I think it's time to realize that when we go to the table, it's business on both parts, not just (owners)."
Karlsson's comments come just two days after Los Angeles Kings blue-liner Drew Doughty made it known he'll use P.K. Subban's salary as the benchmark when he's up for a contract renewal in the same offseason as Karlsson.

"I like it here, I'm comfortable here, I've been here my whole career," Karlsson added. "It's something that I invested all my time in and something I would like to see all the way through.
"But at the end of the day, when it comes down to it, if it's not the right fit and it's not going to work out business-wise, then you're going to have to look elsewhere because that's what (owners) are going to do, as well."
Subban makes $9M. Doughty makes $7M, and Karlsson under $6.5M.

As per the article, Karlsson has led defencemen in scoring in 3 of the last 4 years, and also has 2 x Norris trophies! He'll be 29 or 30 when it's time to re-up.

Am really curious what his number comes out to... Will a team really give him a $10M a year deal for 6-7 years?

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/14...medium=twitter
Old 12-01-2017, 11:21 AM   #4431
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post

As per the article, Karlsson has led defencemen in scoring in 3 of the last 4 years, and also has 2 x Norris trophies! He'll be 29 or 30 when it's time to re-up.

Am really curious what his number comes out to... Will a team really give him a $10M a year deal for 6-7 years?

Cap is going up to 80M by the sounds of it. Price, Kopitar, Toews, Kane...whether we like it or not, have set the price for these contracts. Both Doughty and Karlsson will land 10+ on max-term without a doubt. McDavid also moved the bar for “elite” players, so I easily see Karlsson/Doughty landing 11M, if not more.
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2017, 11:23 AM   #4432
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
Crosby would be amazing! We'd finally have that #1 center everyone talks about....

I still think a deal involving Kane with a reasonable extension in place would be amazing, even if it means shipping out Brodie+
I will pass on that Kane. Now if the other Kane became available...
Old 12-01-2017, 11:48 AM   #4433
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Um yeah, let's see 0.5 ppg first even.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2017, 11:55 AM   #4434
Darkknight
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I've been as critical of Bennett as anyone else one this forum, but last nights game was the best I've seen him look in about a year. He made crisp passes, looked more confident with his linemates and was less selfish that he normally plays. I can only hope that some more consistent, quality linemates will help him figure it out. He is also most definitely a winger going forward.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:00 PM   #4435
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkknight View Post
I've been as critical of Bennett as anyone else one this forum, but last nights game was the best I've seen him look in about a year. He made crisp passes, looked more confident with his linemates and was less selfish that he normally plays. I can only hope that some more consistent, quality linemates will help him figure it out. He is also most definitely a winger going forward.
What injury did Bennett take, puck to the face? Black eye etc yesterday
Old 12-01-2017, 12:03 PM   #4436
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Um yeah, let's see 0.5 ppg first even.
B Schenn struggled in his first few years.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:07 PM   #4437
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
What injury did Bennett take, puck to the face? Black eye etc yesterday
Andersen tried to score on the empty net but caught Bennett's face instead. Needed 8-9 stitches. Hrudey was ripping on Andersen for even trying it.
Old 12-01-2017, 02:05 PM   #4438
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Not sure if I'm an NHL team I would be too comfortable giving Karlsson big money for long term. He's missing half his ankle bone. Who knows how that will affect his play in the future.

Old 12-01-2017, 02:07 PM   #4439
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Not sure if I'm an NHL team I would be too comfortable giving Karlsson big money for long term. He's missing half his ankle bone. Who knows how that will affect his play in the future.
This reminds me, the other night after the loss to Montreal Doug Maclean was complaining about how slow Karlsson looked this year. Had to laugh. He did have major ankle surgery where they took a chunk out of him. I would expect that could slow someone down a bit.
Old 12-01-2017, 02:11 PM   #4440
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Karlsson clearly firing a shot across the bow of his cheap ass owner.

They nickle and dime'd Turris and ended up having to trade him, which has clearly disrupted team chemistry and knocked the team backwards.
Closed Thread