Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 02:43 PM   #3581
Demetric
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
I would love to get Marner but Stone won't get it done.

At last years TO game I watched it live at the dome and Marner was the most noticeable player on either team that night. He is struggling this year but Stone is not the player TO will target in a trade between our clubs. Would be nice but that would be a massive fail for TO, and I don't think they are that Chiarelli like.
way to burst one's bubble
Old 11-10-2017, 02:46 PM   #3582
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demetric View Post
so the leafs looking for D and word is might use Marner as trade chip .... I'm sure we could live without Stone, even if he is a Michael if we are getting a Mitchell back it would keep the M ratio intact.
Probably needed green text, but I think a trade for Marner would involve Dougie Hamilton, and I'm okay with that. I'm getting frustrated with his lack of common and hockey sense.

I think a deal like this would work for both teams:

Marner and Gardiner

for

The Hamilton's and Bennett

Leafs upgrade their defense with Dougie who I'm sure still holds a lot of value despite what I think of him. They get their poor man's Doug Gilmour in Bennett.

Flames take a bit of a perceived downgrade in Gardiner but get a second legit playmaker after Gaudreau.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Jagr
Ferland-Backlund-Frolik
Tkachuk-Janko-Marner
Versteeg-Lazar-Brouwer

Gio-Hamonic
Brodie-Stone
Gardiner-Andersson
Kulak

I think that gives the Flames 3 dangerous scoring lines. The defense "looks" like the top 4 takes a hit, but there is greater overall balance with the 3rd pairing getting an upgrade.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:48 PM   #3583
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Probably needed green text, but I think a trade for Marner would involve Dougie Hamilton, and I'm okay with that. I'm getting frustrated with his lack of common and hockey sense.

Marner and Gardiner

for

Leafs upgrade their defense with Dougie who I'm sure still holds a lot of value despite what I think of him. They get their poor man's Doug Gilmour in Bennett.

Flames take a bit of a perceived downgrade in Gardiner but get a second legit playmaker after Gaudreau.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Jagr
Ferland-Backlund-Frolik
Tkachuk-Janko-Marner
Versteeg-Lazar-Brouwer

Gio-Hamonic
Brodie-Stone
Gardiner-Andersson
Kulak

I think that gives the Flames 3 dangerous scoring lines. The defense "looks" like the top 4 takes a hit, but there is greater overall balance with the 3rd pairing getting an upgrade.

Valimaki will also be coming in within 2-3 seasons as well. Same with Fox if he gets signed.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:48 PM   #3584
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:

Marner and Gardiner

for

Gaudreau-Monahan-Jagr
Ferland-Backlund-Frolik
Tkachuk-Janko-Marner
Versteeg-Lazar-Brouwer

Gio-Hamonic
Brodie-Stone
Gardiner-Andersson
Kulak

They're looking to add a D-man to their core, not add one while subtracting one. The one for one Dougie for Marner makes sense.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2017, 02:51 PM   #3585
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Dougie is going No where; kids the future of the flames
Old 11-10-2017, 02:52 PM   #3586
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlunds_socks View Post
Marner is younger than Hamilton.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:52 PM   #3587
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Marner and Gardiner

for

Gaudreau-Monahan-Jagr
Ferland-Backlund-Frolik
Tkachuk-Janko-Marner
Versteeg-Lazar-Brouwer

Gio-Hamonic
Brodie-Stone
Gardiner-Andersson
Kulak

I don't think I'd trade Hamilton for Marner 1 for 1, but I don't mind the Bennett for Gardiner part of it. I'm open to trading a defenseman but IMO Hamilton is not the guy to trade. Hate to say it, but I think Gio would make the most sense to trade with his age and all (I don't think it's going to happen though). I think Brodie might be the most realistic guy they look at moving.

Having said that, the Flames have been building this defense for years. I think they might keep the D intact and explore other options for adding scoring.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:55 PM   #3588
Demetric
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Mr. Andersson says hi
Old 11-10-2017, 02:58 PM   #3589
Jaydee
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I take Marner over Hamilton every day of the week and twice on sundays
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaydee For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2017, 02:59 PM   #3590
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
I don't think I'd trade Hamilton for Marner 1 for 1, but I don't mind the Bennett for Gardiner part of it. I'm open to trading a defenseman but IMO Hamilton is not the guy to trade. Hate to say it, but I think Gio would make the most sense to trade with his age and all (I don't think it's going to happen though). I think Brodie might be the most realistic guy they look at moving.

Having said that, the Flames have been building this defense for years. I think they might keep the D intact and explore other options for adding scoring.
From a long term asset management POV, yes Gio is the one to move, but man I shudder at the prospect of losing him in the short term. Gio makes his defense partner way better than they really are. After that year of being paired with Gio, I was convinced Brodie was going to win a Norris one day; now, i doubt that happens, but he's still a very good defenceman.

As for Hamilton, the guy struggled here before being paired with Gio and has been good since being put with Gio. However, Gio is constantly covering up Hamilton's mistakes. Every year i watch Gio, I get more and more impressed. His offensive stats aren't there, but there is no one better defensively and that includes Hamonic. Hamilton would be a train wreck without Gio, but Dougie probably holds the highest value. It is good asset management to have Gio prop Dougie's value high and trade him.

Plus the Flames have Kylington and Valimaki as left shot defensemen coming up which will mitigate Gio's eventual deterioration.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:00 PM   #3591
Zoller
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Marner is a great talent but he's the exact opposite of what our top line needs. Our top line needs a right handed Ferland (or atleast the Ferland of the last 5 games)

Actually come to think of it... Ferly's a stud.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zoller For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2017, 03:03 PM   #3592
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I would do Marner for Dougie
Old 11-10-2017, 03:05 PM   #3593
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoller View Post
Marner is a great talent but he's the exact opposite of what our top line needs. Our top line needs a right handed Ferland (or atleast the Ferland of the last 5 games)

Actually come to think of it... Ferly's a stud.
Nothing wrong with having a player like Marner on say a second or third line longer term.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:09 PM   #3594
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who the heck is saying Marner is available? Toronto would be stupid to deal him. More than likely a silly rumor as the guy is another Gaudreau.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:09 PM   #3595
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:

Marner and Gardiner

for

Gaudreau-Monahan-Jagr
Ferland-Backlund-Frolik
Tkachuk-Janko-Marner
Versteeg-Lazar-Brouwer

Gio-Hamonic
Brodie-Stone
Gardiner-Andersson
Kulak

I think I just puked in my mouth a bit..

Hamilton is a bonafide top pair Right D. Arguably the most difficult position to trade for. Let's trade him for a soft winger and a Dman who last year people who follow the team were sayin he was AHL fodder and doesn't look that much better this year. Add to that a a top 5 pick who was rushed to the NHL but is the farthest thing from soft, has tons of jam and tons of skill but is snake-bitten?

That's just effed up..
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to IgiTang For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2017, 03:10 PM   #3596
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Tkachuk - Backlund - Marner
Bennett - Jankowski - jagr/mangiapane (this year or next)
Hathaway - lazar - Brouwer

I'd be ok with that.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:10 PM   #3597
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlunds_socks View Post
I agree, Hamilton is the last dman I would trade out of this group.

- He's the youngest of our top 5
- He's our best offensive dman and has the most potential
- He's a big bodied right hand shot who can log a ton of icetime
- He skates very well for his size and has a massive reach
- He puts up 50pts a year and hasn't peaked yet
- His possession numbers have looked good if not great in the last two seasons

Why trade this? Cause he still has some defensive lapses every so often? The older he gets the less this will happen.

If Kyllington and/or Valimaki can put it all together Brodie might be the guy to trade in order to get a high end RW. It pains to say cause I love Brodie but, outside of Stone, I don't see any of the other top 5 guys getting moved.

In all honesty I don't know if I even would trade Brodie but, as I mentioned, if we have either of those high ceiling LD develop sooner than expected it would be a nice problem to have.

I like that this team is following in Nashville and Anahiems footsteps. Continually finding and developing NHL defenseman is a huge boon to help your organization continually remain competitive.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2017, 03:14 PM   #3598
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
I agree, Hamilton is the last dman I would trade out of this group.

- He's the youngest of our top 5
- He's our best offensive dman and has the most potential
- He's a big bodied right hand shot who can log a ton of icetime
- He skates very well for his size and has a massive reach
- He puts up 50pts a year and hasn't peaked yet
- His possession numbers have looked good if not great in the last two seasons

Why trade this? Cause he still has some defensive lapses every so often? The older he gets the less this will happen.

If Kyllington and/or Valimaki can put it all together Brodie might be the guy to trade in order to get a high end RW. It pains to say cause I love Brodie but, outside of Stone, I don't see any of the other top 5 guys getting moved.

In all honesty I don't know if I even would trade Brodie but, as I mentioned, if we have either of those high ceiling LD develop sooner than expected it would be a nice problem to have.

I like that this team is following in Nashville and Anahiems footsteps. Continually finding and developing NHL defenseman is a huge boon to help your organization continually remain competitive.
Agree with the Brodie angle. If there was a Dman to be moved as most likely the Flames would get a very good return, but the Flames also have some guys who may not skate quite as well as Brodie but maybe better positionally, physically and skate very very well in Kylington or Vilimaki.
The Following User Says Thank You to IgiTang For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2017, 03:15 PM   #3599
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hamilton is starting slow this season but last year he was part of one of the best D-pairings in the league putting up top pairing points. He has a lot of room to improve.

If we are looking at moving someone (and I don't think now's the time) you don't go with the budding #1-Dman.

I understand the logic, but there's more than a few people posting from the 'what have you done for me lately' camp vastly under-rating Dougie because he's off to a slow start.

At his age he's one of the most valuable commodities because of how scarce players of his ilk are.

I think we roll with this defense for the season (we've yet to see them gel and get some momentum) with how long and how many assets it took to put them together. If after a full season Andersson or someone in our prospect ranks are pushing they'll start exploring then, but I have a hard time believing it would be Hamilton they look at moving.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:16 PM   #3600
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Flames are trading Dougie for Marner the leafs add their 1st.

24 year old 6’5 right shot top pairing D get more than a small winger having a sophomore slump.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread