Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 11:30 AM   #3441
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

IMO, Kulak has been quite a nice surprise over his two games thus far. He looked a lot more stable than Brodie, but that said, I think Brodie had a couple off nights against STL and Nashville. Kulak has also looked a lot less risky than Bartkowski and his end to end rush/turnover.

If Brodie could get you Marner, you would have to consider it. That said, IDK if Brodie alone gets you Marner.

Here's a fun trade scenario

Bennett, Brodie

Marner, Zaitsev and a 3rd

Zaitsev has played a bit on the left side, especially on the PP and could move over to the 3rd RD if Stone moves on after this deal while being a bit more cost controlled than Brodie.

Marner and Tkachuk Reunited.

Bennett gets a fresh start and the Flames recoup a pick they have lost from recent acquisitions.

Gaudreau- Monny- Marner/Jagr
Tkachuk- Backlund- Frolik/Marner
Ferland-Jankowski-Jagr/Versteeg
Verateeg/Glass-Stajan/Hamilton-Brouwer

Gio- Hamilton
Zaitsev/Kulak- Hamonic
Zaitsev/Kulak- Stone

Fun! Flame away! It's Friday!!!

Edit: Taking Bennett out of the lineup actually changes the roster landscape quite a bit IMO and I'm not certain that's a good thing.

Last edited by IgiTang; 10-27-2017 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:44 AM   #3442
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
IMO, Kulak has been quite a nice surprise over his two games thus far. He looked a lot more stable than Brodie, but that said, I think Brodie had a couple off nights against STL and Nashville. Kulak has also looked a lot less risky than Bartkowski and his end to end rush/turnover.

If Brodie could get you Marner, you would have to consider it. That said, IDK if Brodie alone gets you Marner.

Bennett, Brodie

Zaitsev has played a bit on the left side, especially on the PP and could move over to the 3rd RD if Stone moves on after this deal while being a bit more cost controlled than Brodie.

Bennett gets a fresh start and the Flames recoup a pick they have lost from recent acquisitions.

Gio- Hamilton
Zaitsev/Kulak- Hamonic
Zaitsev/Kulak- Stone

Edit: Taking Bennett out of the lineup actually changes the roster landscape quite a bit IMO and I'm not certain that's a good thing.
That very likely turns out the way most Flames-Leafs trades turn out (painfully)
Old 10-27-2017, 11:48 AM   #3443
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have to say, the thought of:

Tkachuk - Jankowski - Marner

is intriguing. But the problem with trading Brodie at this time, is that the replacements aren't ready and therefore aren't certain. If one of:

Kylington
Valimaki or
Fox

were ready to step into the top 4, I would do that trade immediately. But the simple fact of the matter with defensemen is that you cannot count on them until they actually prove it at the NHL level.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:12 PM   #3444
---Hatrick---
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Given all the drama going on in Montreal right now, what do you guys think it would take to pry Galchenyuk out of there? And what is his cap hit?
If the rumours are true about him being in and out of a substance abuse rehab centre, I'm sure he would benefit from being mentored by Mcgrattan in Calgary.
Is he worth the risk? I thought he was a good young player and was shocked when I heard he was demoted to the 4th line
Old 10-27-2017, 12:14 PM   #3445
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

That's the catch though. How can they prove it with the top 5 being set for the next 3 years at least?

It's would be a gamble for sure and I think next year would be the year to do it or offseason, but all of a sudden D seems to be a position of strength for Flames and we need to address NHL wingers.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:15 PM   #3446
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post

Bennett, Brodie

Gio- Hamilton
Zaitsev/Kulak- Hamonic
Zaitsev/Kulak- Stone

Flames probably lose the trade - I think Bennett would play very well with Kadri. I think Marner would fit in here. But Brodie is a loss until one of the kids steps up.

That said, I don't think it's a tremendously unfair trade and Brodie would be the guy I trade, for the reasons I mentioned. But on thinking about it more, IMO the Leafs are weaker on RD, and Brodie is a lefty. Babcock likes RH/LH D pairings as much as GG. So maybe they want Hamonic (who I like and the Flames need) or Stone+ (I include him all day).
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2017, 12:22 PM   #3447
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you were to rank our top 3 D, how would it look?

Gio - For about three or four years now, whoever plays with Gio is a part of one of the most statistically dominant pairings in the game. He's the top dog, and to borrow a phrase from HF, "AINEC".

Brodie - Through 10 games this season, Brodie has played 25+ minutes in seven of them. Mark Giordano has done it three times, Dougie hasn't played more than 22, and Hamonic hasn't played more than 23. Brodie can play against anyone in any situation, and he doesn't need a Gio to carry him. Gulutzan could not deploy Hamilton the way he does Brodie if he ever decided to split up the top pair - ergo, Brodie > Hamilton.

Dougie - Getting better every day, but he's not as good as Giordano and Brodie. He also bobbles the puck a lot (to my eyes) - someone tell me if I'm imagining that.

Hamonic - fits really well on the 2nd pair. I have no complaints with what he's brought so far.

This is a long way of saying I wouldn't trade TJ Brodie + Bennett for a small winger who we'll need to pay Johnny money in 18 months, and a Russian defenseman with seven years left.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:24 PM   #3448
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Clayton stoner and Jon Merrill are currently the odd men out in Vegas, playing the left side. They can be had at a fairly reasonable cost. If Brodie were to be moved, would one of these guys be an acceptable stop gap for this year, until one of the young guys steps up?

Also, Brodie likely has more value than marner. He is in a premium position and marner is torontos Bennett.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:31 PM   #3449
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Would prefer Marner over Bennett, but that's just me thinking out loud.
I think everyone would prefer Marner over Bennett.
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2017, 12:38 PM   #3450
ClubFlames
Posted the 2 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Also, Brodie likely has more value than marner. He is in a premium position and marner is torontos Bennett.
I wish our Bennett had a 61 point rookie season under his belt just like Toronto's Bennett.

Bennett: 63 points in 169 games
Marner: 67 points in 87 games

Unless Marner's development stalls completely for another year or two, there's no comparison between the 2 at this time. Marner is clearly the better player.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ClubFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2017, 12:41 PM   #3451
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Clayton stoner and Jon Merrill are currently the odd men out in Vegas, playing the left side. They can be had at a fairly reasonable cost. If Brodie were to be moved, would one of these guys be an acceptable stop gap for this year, until one of the young guys steps up?

I like Bennett, but Marner had 61 points last year and this year he has 6 points in 10 games (albeit 4 on the PP). And he was a bigger producer in junior as well (on a great team of course). Bennett is better defensively. But Marner is the more desirable player IMO.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:46 PM   #3452
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bennett is the better defensive player, by far. But let's not get derailed by Bennett talk in here. That is what the jankowski thread is for.

The question is calgary defense, for marner or galynchuk. Worth the price?
Old 10-27-2017, 12:47 PM   #3453
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
If you were to rank our top 3 D, how would it look?

Gio - For about three or four years now, whoever plays with Gio is a part of one of the most statistically dominant pairings in the game. He's the top dog, and to borrow a phrase from HF, "AINEC".

Brodie - Through 10 games this season, Brodie has played 25+ minutes in seven of them. Mark Giordano has done it three times, Dougie hasn't played more than 22, and Hamonic hasn't played more than 23. Brodie can play against anyone in any situation, and he doesn't need a Gio to carry him. Gulutzan could not deploy Hamilton the way he does Brodie if he ever decided to split up the top pair - ergo, Brodie > Hamilton.

Dougie - Getting better every day, but he's not as good as Giordano and Brodie. He also bobbles the puck a lot (to my eyes) - someone tell me if I'm imagining that.

Hamonic - fits really well on the 2nd pair. I have no complaints with what he's brought so far.

This is a long way of saying I wouldn't trade TJ Brodie + Bennett for a small winger who we'll need to pay Johnny money in 18 months, and a Russian defenseman with seven years left.
Gio>>>>>>>>>>>>>Hamilton>>>Brodie>Hamonic

Gio - enough said. An all star but still underrated in the league IMO.
Hamilton - his tools are far broader than Brodie's plus size to go with it. He's a bit better defensively, though obviously prone to mistakes. The thing is, he's gotten better defensively each year and I don't see that stopping.
Brodie - He is a great skater and passer. I think he's solidly mediocre defensively and his gaffes tend to be really costly. He will never be physical in his career and loses pucks battels because he's just not that strong.
Hamonic - Given that Hamilton and Brodie are limited defensively right now (Hamilton will improve IMO) Hamonic, while the fourth most valuable defenceman skill-wise, has a unique position on this team and can't be moved.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:48 PM   #3454
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Bennett is the better defensive player, by far. But let's not get derailed by Bennett talk in here. That is what the jankowski thread is for.

The question is calgary defense, for marner or galynchuk. Worth the price?
For Marner, maybe, depending on who. For Galchynchuk, no. I'm leery of the background issues there.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:49 PM   #3455
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Re unite marner and chucky? I could deal. Now how do you go about getting ARZ to trade Dvorak??
Old 10-27-2017, 12:52 PM   #3456
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Re unite marner and chucky? I could deal. Now how do you go about getting ARZ to trade Dvorak??
Is AZ souring on him? He had 33 pts last year which is OK but not huge, and he has 4 assists and no goals this year.

AZ has no goaltending. Would you trade Gillies for Dvorak?
Old 10-27-2017, 01:18 PM   #3457
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Arizona is happy with dvorak.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:28 PM   #3458
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

The last thing this team needs to worry about is getting players to help Tkachuk.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:29 PM   #3459
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Dvorak would cost Bennett. Which I wouldn't mind. Bennett and Domi on the same line would be funny.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:30 PM   #3460
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Marner is a solid, skilled RW'er.

This has nothing to do with helping Tkachuk, and everything to do with trying to bring in more high skill players to add scoring.
Closed Thread