Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2019, 07:23 AM   #601
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Going to be a mess later on today. Had to bust a few windrows today, but the paths are in pretty good shape so far.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2019, 07:24 AM   #602
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
^ not sure if this is connected, but it is my understanding that places like chain reaction are no longer permitted to sell shimano stuff in north america

Yep. Shimano shut it down. North American shops were taking a huge hit from places like Chain reaction, so as of January these online stores are no longer allowed to sell them.

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...a#.XGwRAfx7kWo
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:38 AM   #603
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Going to be a mess later on today. Had to bust a few windrows today, but the paths are in pretty good shape so far.
Yup, a few of my sidestreets were still nice and firm, but others have already started to turn. Unfortunately my alternate route is the 10th st snow storage lane...so I may be stuck on sidewalks...

I'm going to 311 a request to add 6th st nw to the snow clearing program, as they do other streets along thew way, and it connects to 16th so it's a little baffling they don't already do it.

They have also plowed windrows at the crossing at 7th st and Memorial. I don't understand how the city expects anyone to get through there. Last year they never cleaned them up, and they hardened into ice mounds so I'm going to do another 311 to see if they will at least consider other users' needs and take 10 minutes to deal with it.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:44 AM   #604
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

FYI, Ridleys has started a big sale on all winter cycling gear. Studded tires and fatbike tires are 30% off. I got some 45nrth pogies for 40% off. Winter boots are up to 60% off. They have some awesome 7mesh gear out of Squamish for amazing prices if they have your size.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2019, 09:29 AM   #605
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
^ which models?
I got the Thorn and Caliber glasses.
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 07:42 AM   #606
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Surprisingly easy ride this morning. The Bow river pathway crew had already cleared the north side pathway this morning, and when I turned north onto Nose creek I was pleasantly surprised to see that the north-south sections were mainly bare, it was only where the path turned to face east-west that there were some snow drifts across the path from the wind yesterday. One section got about 7-10cm deep and I got stuck going through it and had to walk a bit.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:24 AM   #607
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Surprisingly easy ride this morning. The Bow river pathway crew had already cleared the north side pathway this morning, and when I turned north onto Nose creek I was pleasantly surprised to see that the north-south sections were mainly bare, it was only where the path turned to face east-west that there were some snow drifts across the path from the wind yesterday. One section got about 7-10cm deep and I got stuck going through it and had to walk a bit.

The worst drifting I found on my limited nose creek ride was around that electric station by the golf courses. Can't believe how high the drift beside the path is on the south side of it.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:25 AM   #608
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningYears View Post
The worst drifting I found on my limited nose creek ride was around that electric station by the golf courses. Can't believe how high the drift beside the path is on the south side of it.

That's the section up at 32nd avenue area yes? I don't go that far north, I turn off at the Fox Hollow crossing and climb that hill to take the bridge over Deerfoot. The big drift I got stuck in was just south of the switchback that climbs up to the Renfrew area.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2019, 09:32 AM   #609
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningYears View Post
That's my usual route (didn't ride today as I had to take my daughter to school)..
Old 02-21-2019, 09:35 AM   #610
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
That's the section up at 32nd avenue area yes? I don't go that far north, I turn off at the Fox Hollow crossing and climb that hill to take the bridge over Deerfoot. The big drift I got stuck in was just south of the switchback that climbs up to the Renfrew area.

Yea I cut into it from McKnight blvd then up 32nd up over fox hollow. it looked like they had sort of started to clear from McKnight to about only by the Rona so maybe just a one off for now. occasional mini drift from there until that electrical station.

It was suprisingly good going up 32nd by the bus barn and even above fox hollow was ok too. I usually go up the path between vista heights and the industrial area but figured it would of been a giant drift the whole way since there isnt much wind protection there and went up 27th (scary with impatient drivers rippin by)
Old 02-21-2019, 10:16 AM   #611
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The side streets are going to get scary once their layers of glaciation start melting. Predicting icy ruts everywhere. Hoping for a sudden 2 weeks of +15 high, +5 low to prevent re-freezing!
Old 02-21-2019, 10:26 AM   #612
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Yeah, the other day was terrible for not being able to give cars room to pass. Fortunately everybody was patient with me, and I also pulled over and stopped every few hundred metres to let cars by. Also did a disproportionate amount of sidewalk riding. I'll be adjusting my route yet again, shortening it significantly and using the car.

I was also please with how good people were on the sidewalks. One lady was walking her dog the other way and scootched all the way over for me. I said "thanks- sorry but the roads are so bad." She said she fully understood.

I don't think we are set to see anything above zero for the next couple of weeks.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:00 AM   #613
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm lucky my route is mostly path. The side streets were snirt-a-rrific yesterday.

Oh, all you dog owners out there: if you're on the path, put a leash on Fido. When he has to chase and menace me on my bike, he isn't under control. "Oh, he never does this...." Well, he just did, dummy.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2019, 11:16 AM   #614
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

Or even worse, the ones that have their dog on a leash, but are on the opposite side of the path from the dog.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:17 AM   #615
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
I'm lucky my route is mostly path. The side streets were snirt-a-rrific yesterday.

Oh, all you dog owners out there: if you're on the path, put a leash on Fido. When he has to chase and menace me on my bike, he isn't under control. "Oh, he never does this...." Well, he just did, dummy.

ALL. THE. TIME. I savour the bad weather days because I know it would severely limit the amount of folks out walking their dog on nose creek and the off-leash section.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:19 AM   #616
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agree, some dillhole had his black lab off leash at the Peace Bridge the other morning in the dark. Fun stuff! Moron.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:35 PM   #617
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

I'm going to 311 a request to add 6th st nw to the snow clearing program, as they do other streets along thew way, and it connects to 16th so it's a little baffling they don't already do it.
So the response was...
SR closed:

Details: Please advise citizen that 2st NW is also a bike route that can be used in the area.

So I check the plowing map:
https://maps.calgary.ca/RoadConditions/

And they don't even plow 2nd street! So, hey, thanks Roads dept, you useless fecks. And I'm aware of 2nd street kind of sort of marked cycle route, but that's uhm...650m from where I want to be, so 1.3km out of the way. And it's not plowed, so how is that any use?

The city needs to understand that bike routes need to be regularly spaced, and expecting cyclists to divert long distances is not idea, and they will take the closest route that makes sense. For me, it's 6th st as it goes mostly directly from Confed Park to the Peace Bridged and the 7th st cycle track. Anything else is a diversion. A bike route every 4 blocks on grid streets(650m in this case) sounds about right to me. And I don't mean designated cycle tracks, just a route that the city recognizes and keeps rideable year round.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:43 PM   #618
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

And it turns out they plow 7th st, which dead ends at 16th ave, which makes no sense. Why wouldn't you plow the through road? Stupid roads dept.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:22 AM   #619
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Their incredibly helpful response was....

"roads maintains designated bike lanes and does not make these decisions on which road they are on.."

Gee, thanks. So, uh, can you pass that on to whoever might be responsible? Oh, request closed. Well then. And judging from the plowing map, they do not, in fact, maintain them.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:31 AM   #620
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

I've brought this same concern to my councilor. (Which 311 told me is the only escalation point.) If you don't word/ categorize a 311 request perfectly, it gets closed instead of being directed to the right department. For 3 winters I had been putting in requests about a catwalk that would always ice up to dangerous levels. The last couple I have even asked who this should be directed to. Found out through my coucilor's assistant that I need to specifically request roads to apply sand and salt to the engineered walkway. Apparently taking a picture and asking for the ice to be cleared from a catwalk wasn't good enough. "We don't clear ice from those, so close the request instead of telling the citizen we just sand/salt." (Or how about you just apply the sand/salt.)

tl;dr- see Fuzz's signature.
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post: