Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2019, 09:09 AM   #41
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Loved the Chicago accent of one of the investigators at the press conference.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:14 AM   #42
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
Again, there is a lot there that I agree with you on. I guess the point I was trying to make was this: For a long time, in my opinion, victims did have an exceedingly high burden of proof for 'beleivability'. In the last year or two, that has started to shift because of things like the metoo movement. However, as soon as the pendulum started swinging, it started facing resistance. And while some of it is deserved, a lot of it feels like people trying to push things back to the way they have always been.
I will admit that my first post was a touch on the hyperbolic side, though perhaps not as much as you seem to think, as your very posts indicate.

I think that you are conflating "being taken seriously" and "being believed". I can take someone's claim of whatever they want to claim seriously while it is investigated, but I am not required to and should not just outright believe them. IMO, a good investigator doesn't 'believe' either suspect or victim, as belief in something tends to lead to biased conclusions in favor of that belief.

"Innocent until proven guilty" means that our system is going to have a high burden of proof against the victim, but most folks seem to feel that's a good thing. All of us are in accord in that when reporting something, the person reporting it should be taken seriously. But they should not just be outright believed until the evidence has been examined and tells its story.

Last edited by WhiteTiger; 02-21-2019 at 09:57 AM.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2019, 09:33 AM   #43
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Believe it or not, it is possible to respond to me without being smarmy and insulting my intelligence. I AM reading your statements, and the reason I am responding is that when I read what you are saying, its seems in-congruent. It's really no different than when someone posts in FOI about a questionable head hit. Everyone is watching the same video, but conclusions usually vary from totally clean, to should have kept his head up, to throw the aggressor out of the league. People can interpret the very same words and images in different ways.
I'm not insulting your intelligence, merely trying to cater to it. I clarified -- quite verbosely -- my position for you, and you're still doubling down.

Quote:
For a long time, in my opinion, victims did have an exceedingly high burden of proof for 'beleivability'. In the last year or two, that has started to shift because of things like the metoo movement. However, as soon as the pendulum started swinging, it started facing resistance. And while some of it is deserved, a lot of it feels like people trying to push things back to the way they have always been.
I am all for taking people seriously, but a high burden of proof in any criminal complaint is unfortunately necessary to ensure that we are vigorous in our investigations and justice is indeed served. #MeToo has highlighted the issue that it is typically quite hard to prove allegations as there is often little evidence available, and I empathize with that. We have to learn how to do better in that area, not throw away the presumption of innocence. WhiteTiger captured this well in his post above.

Quote:
Regardless though, you win. I have given my 2 cents and it doesn't look like you have any interest in discussion; just talking down to me.
This is rich coming from someone who strawmanned me in two consecutive posts and -- after being called out for it -- responded like this:
Quote:
Because I slightly disagreed? I did so in a respectful manner and have added my reasoning and respected your rebuttals. Is it really necessary to play the victim like that?
You're right, I'm not interested in a discussion with someone who wants to color my words with their biases when all I ask is that they a) stick to the words on the page, and b) approach the discussion in good faith instead of projecting. Apparently, that is too much to ask. We're not politicians trying to win an election here; we're trying to have an honest discussion, there's no need to spin anyone's words.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2019, 11:26 AM   #44
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
"Innocent until proven guilty" means that our system is going to have a high burden of proof against the victim, but most folks seem to feel that's a good thing.
I sometimes worry that we're forgetting why the burden of proof is high. The historical abuses of authoritarian states against their citizens are receding from memory. We've let our understandable frustration with people getting away with bad behaviour blind us to how bad things get when accusations alone are enough to ruin someone. People being people, in that climate accusations become weaponized to destroy political rivals, dissidents, or just a neighbour who you hate.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2019, 11:47 AM   #45
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sounds like this POS was perfectly willing to testify against two innocent men to complete his falsified claim. What an evil evil guy. Lots of people in the media still carrying water for him too which is just insane.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2019, 05:47 PM   #46
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
Sounds like this POS was perfectly willing to testify against two innocent men to complete his falsified claim. What an evil evil guy. Lots of people in the media still carrying water for him too which is just insane.
This clown is screwed, and deserves it. Anyone who lies to the authorities should be subject to the full weight of the law. What kind of cretinous scum do such things?

Makes you wonder, what kind of person would dream up a scheme to blame innocent people for something they had no part in, then participate in their prosecution, just for personal gain? Who would ever defend them? Makes you wonder.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:20 AM   #47
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Removed from the last two episodes of Empire

https://globalnews.ca/news/4987953/j...medium=Twitter

So that's probably no to a raise

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:40 AM   #48
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Looks like he's going with the OJ defense, police are racist and corrupt out to get him from the beginning. How long until Smollett claims he was framed.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:50 AM   #49
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Looks like he's going with the OJ defense, police are racist and corrupt out to get him from the beginning. How long until Smollett claims he was framed.

Its a narrative that's already starting to come out based on the history of the Police. They're trying to frame him because all cops are instruments of right wing hate.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:50 AM   #50
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post

He'll be claiming he was on Ambien before long.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:08 AM   #51
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah, I read some of the bond proffer and I can't see how he's going to mount a defense? His phone records and texting history alone are pretty damning. How is he, and more importantly his legal team, still maintaining innocence right now? If anyone wants to read it, it's here:

https://dig.abclocal.go.com/wls/docu...roffer-doc.pdf
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2019, 10:13 AM   #52
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
Yeah, I read some of the bond proffer and I can't see how he's going to mount a defense? His phone records and texting history alone are pretty damning. How is he, and more importantly his legal team, still maintaining innocence right now? If anyone wants to read it, it's here:

I think they are trying to win the public battle using race and hate and what not. I assume they think they can win enough people over doing this to save his career.

Which I find weird. Just own up to it now, and you probably get a lesser sentance without jai ltime, then keep your head down for a couple years and probably turn out ok.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 10:22 AM   #53
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well the goal here was increased fame and enrichment, if you're already deep in it you might as well go all the way. His career is over either way.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:26 AM   #54
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post

Thanks for posting that link. Really interesting read.

Its crazy how detailed it is. Shows how easy it is to track people's exact movements via surveillance videos, cell phone records, etc.
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dubc80 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2019, 10:35 AM   #55
Playfair
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My thoughts exactly. Sad for the real crimes where these kinds of attacks aren’t staged. The cops handled this very well. For all the grief police get these days, they did it right and thorough.
Playfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 11:24 AM   #56
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Guy Germaine must be so disappointed.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:05 PM   #57
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is why it's important to not get too worked up about the crazy stuff you see in the news for a good week to ten days. You can always get angry again.
GreenLantern2814 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2019, 05:28 PM   #58
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Well the goal here was increased fame and enrichment, if you're already deep in it you might as well go all the way. His career is over either way.
For the next couple of years maybe. If public responses to media scandals over the past few years tells me anything, is that people get over it.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 10:55 AM   #59
FunkMasterFlame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Actual footage of Jussie Smollett and his friends rehearsing the attack has leaked. It's really not looking good for him I'm afraid.

https://mobile.twitter.com/robbystar...62117763035140
FunkMasterFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to FunkMasterFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2019, 12:38 PM   #60
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

So is Empire any good?