Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2019, 04:17 PM   #581
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHot25 View Post
I like Wills quite a bit as a pbp guy. As an analyst, not so much.

One thing I think was beneficial for Maher was that he had a foil - Doug Barkley, Mike Rogers. They weren't afraid to call out the flames/cast them in a negative light, which helped balance some potential for Maher to be an over-the-top homer. I'm not so sure Derek has that with Peter.
Peter Maher's 'over the top homer' moments came when the team 1) made the playoffs after seven years 2) won a series 3) won a championship 4) when our players did something historic.

Otherwise, he called it as down the middle as you can ask for a team's radio man.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2019, 04:54 PM   #582
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I really believe the Flames "want" Smith to be their starter for the playoffs. They like his experience.

Now I agree that are also managing Rittich as best they can as they want him confident and sharp for the playoffs too.

I wouldn't call it a controversy, but if you ask yourself who would start game 1 if the playoffs started tomorrow, I believe today's answer is Smith.
I hope that isn't the case, Mike Smith is not the NHL caliber goaltender he once was.

Three games does not make up for his previous 12 months.

Just like three games shouldn't discount Rittich's previous 12 months.

If the team goes into the playoffs with Mike Smith as the starter, we will be watching someone else from the western conference go up against TB for the cup.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 05:02 PM   #583
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was thinking about the whole pinder-wills exchange and maybe what makes the whole exchange so surprising is the emotion and passion they had in thier discussion. I don’t think that is something that you hear a lot of on the FAN.

Although at the end of the day, I still thought wills was a little more dispassionate, but perhaps they were trying for a good cop/bad cop thing
Old 02-20-2019, 05:17 PM   #584
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Changes to Fan 960 in new year "take that Calgary Puck"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I really believe the Flames "want" Smith to be their starter for the playoffs. They like his experience.

Now I agree that are also managing Rittich as best they can as they want him confident and sharp for the playoffs too.

I wouldn't call it a controversy, but if you ask yourself who would start game 1 if the playoffs started tomorrow, I believe today's answer is Smith.

Not saying you’re wrong, but this would be straight silly if the team “wants” Smith to be the starter for the playoffs. Smith hasn’t played a playoff game in about 7 years. Most players on this team haven’t even had careers longer than that. He’s been better of late, but we’re talking about 3 games here. There’s 23 left to go.

Rittich may appear to be struggling, but he’s been terrific for about 80%-90% of the season and that should hold more weight. I’ve seen that November 25th .901 sv% stat being thrown around a lot. But that’s a skewed stat in my opinion because against teams not named Tampa Bay or San Jose, Rittich has been just fine at .915 in that same time frame.

So sure, he’s struggled a bit against the top scoring teams in the league, but those 2 teams make a lot of goaltenders look bad. Rittich would personally be my #1 starter for the playoffs if I had to choose at this moment because the quality of his competition has been clearly more difficult and he’s excelled for the majority of this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2019, 05:21 PM   #585
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Peter Maher's 'over the top homer' moments came when the team 1) made the playoffs after seven years 2) won a series 3) won a championship 4) when our players did something historic.

Otherwise, he called it as down the middle as you can ask for a team's radio man.

Well, that's kind of the point. Barkley/Rogers would rip into the flames - as a team overall, or the players or the coaches. I think that balanced off the positive light on the play by the broadcaster. Basically like a check and balance. I don't know if you remember how critical Barkley/Rogers could be of things. Peter is 100% not that.
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RedHot25 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2019, 05:38 PM   #586
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Not saying you’re wrong, but this would be straight silly if the team “wants” Smith to be the starter for the playoffs. Smith hasn’t played a playoff game in about 7 years. Most players on this team haven’t even had careers longer than that. He’s been better of late, but we’re talking about 3 games here. There’s 23 left to go.

Rittich may appear to be struggling, but he’s been terrific for about 80%-90% of the season and that should hold more weight. I’ve seen that November 25th .901 sv% stat being thrown around a lot. But that’s a skewed stat in my opinion because against teams not named Tampa Bay or San Jose, Rittich has been just fine at .915 in that same time frame.

So sure, he’s struggled a bit against the top scoring teams in the league, but those 2 teams make a lot of goaltenders look bad. Rittich would personally be my #1 starter for the playoffs if I had to choose at this moment because the quality of his competition has been clearly more difficult and he’s excelled for the majority of this season.

I think what Strange Brew is saying is that Flames coaches are setting a high value on playoff experience, and since Mike Smith is the only one of the two goalies that has any, they would be most comfortable if he was playing well enough to start in the playoffs.

At least, that is how I read it.

I tend to agree that Rittich is most likely the starter for the post season, but I also think it is not a bad idea to ensure that Mike Smith is ready to play games in April should the need arise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:42 PM   #587
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Derek Wills is one of the few guys from the fan 960 that I’m not a huge fan of. I don’t mind his play-by-play but I almost always disagree with his analysis. His endless defence of Smith gets tiresome.

That being said I feel like we are listening to different clips here. To me Pinder was the one who came across as a total jerk in that clip. Wills barely got a sentence out before Pinder interrupted him and started talking over him. I thought Wills was justified in sounding defensive. He didn’t say anything about Smith that sounded unreasonable and I think the goaltending battle for playoffs is wide open. However I agree with Pinder, playoffs start today and I think it’s still Rittich’s net. Smith hasn’t done quite enough to be back in the #1 slot going forward. Yet.

And then I thought Pinder was quite rude at the end. He was so dismissive.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2019, 07:06 PM   #588
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

Are you nerds still arguing over radio personalities

Last edited by Hey Connor, It's Mess; 02-20-2019 at 07:08 PM.
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hey Connor, It's Mess For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2019, 07:13 PM   #589
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post

This is a good stat. I can’t imagine what the scores would be if smith had started any of those games.

Rittich is still a better goalie than smith and smith has no recent history of playoff experience and has wilted under pressure all season long.
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:40 PM   #590
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Derek Wills is one of the few guys from the fan 960 that I’m not a huge fan of. I don’t mind his play-by-play but I almost always disagree with his analysis. His endless defence of Smith gets tiresome.

That being said I feel like we are listening to different clips here. To me Pinder was the one who came across as a total jerk in that clip. Wills barely got a sentence out before Pinder interrupted him and started talking over him. I thought Wills was justified in sounding defensive. He didn’t say anything about Smith that sounded unreasonable and I think the goaltending battle for playoffs is wide open. However I agree with Pinder, playoffs start today and I think it’s still Rittich’s net. Smith hasn’t done quite enough to be back in the #1 slot going forward. Yet.

And then I thought Pinder was quite rude at the end. He was so dismissive.
I dunno, I heard Wills decide to make it a Wills/Pinder thing rather than a goaltending debate. It was the closest I heard Pinder to being frustrated on air, and I didn't mind him taking exception to being personally berated live by yet another colleague while doing his job.

Wills straight up accused Pinder of rooting against the Flames and its players just so he could be right. That's a bit over the line, IMO.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2019, 08:30 PM   #591
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I think what Strange Brew is saying is that Flames coaches are setting a high value on playoff experience, and since Mike Smith is the only one of the two goalies that has any, they would be most comfortable if he was playing well enough to start in the playoffs.

At least, that is how I read it.

I tend to agree that Rittich is most likely the starter for the post season, but I also think it is not a bad idea to ensure that Mike Smith is ready to play games in April should the need arise.
Yeah I’m not saying they’re going to hand the job to him. But I believe they truly want him playing well enough to start because of his experience. And so if it’s a close call in terms of who is playing better, they are inclined to go with Smith.

It is certainly debatable who would be the game one starter if playoffs started tomorrow, and I don’t pretend to know the answer.

But if this prop bet was available in Vegas, I’d put my money on Smith right now.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2019, 10:39 PM   #592
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wills is useless as an analyst, he’s propaganda & can’t separate the player from the person.

Pinder is basically the radio version of Kent Wilson. Loads of analytical answers looking for their egotistical question, focused on the negative, void of the insight, context, & nuances of team building.

The Flames have the second best record in the league & these clowns focus on a team weakness. All while being ignorant of feasible answers to improve the weakness that won’t leave gaps elsewhere or disrupt team chemistry.

They detest terms like chemistry.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:45 PM   #593
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

So what changed this year so far?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Johnhitbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 03:26 PM   #594
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Holy hell do I find Pinder’s arguing style to be maddening. Find myself shutting off the Fan because I can’t stand Pinder at all. Not sure why so many of you seem to like him. I find him arrogant and condescending and he’s constantly interrupting people. He makes blanket statements I disagree with as if they are fact.

Today he was saying he’d rather give up Dube, Kylington and a 3rd than give up just a 1st rounder. I’m like WTF? Then he says nobody would give you a 1st for Dube or Kylington. I’m not convinced that’s true.

Fan960 is in some dark, dark days. I used to listen a lot and now I find it intolerable. I miss Robb Kerr. Now none of the hosts have anything interesting to say, the only ppl worth listening to are the guests.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2019, 03:28 PM   #595
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Holy hell do I find Pinder’s arguing style to be maddening. Find myself shutting off the Fan because I can’t stand Pinder at all. Not sure why so many of you seem to like him. I find him arrogant and condescending and he’s constantly interrupting people. He makes blanket statements I disagree with as if they are fact.

Today he was saying he’d rather give up Dube, Kylington and a 3rd than give up just a 1st rounder. I’m like WTF? Then he says nobody would give you a 1st for Dube or Kylington. I’m not convinced that’s true.

Fan960 is in some dark, dark days. I used to listen a lot and now I find it intolerable. I miss Robb Kerr. Now none of the hosts have anything interesting to say, the only ppl worth listening to are the guests.
Frankly in this latest go round I think people who say they like Wills or Pnder are largely doing so based on whether they like Rittich or hate Smith, etc.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2019, 03:28 PM   #596
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does getting a first round pick for players picked in the second round or later happen?
Old 02-21-2019, 03:29 PM   #597
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post

The golden age of the FAN featuring Rob Kerr and Joe Sports (RIP).

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2019, 03:31 PM   #598
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Does getting a first round pick for players picked in the second round or later happen?
Yes.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:32 PM   #599
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any examples?
Old 02-21-2019, 03:37 PM   #600
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Any examples?
Marty St. Louis. Paul Gaustad. Dustin Penner.