Owner

Exp:
Default Panthers 3 Flames 2 (SO)

Game Takes:
Panthers 4 Flames 3 (SO)

- Flames with a very slow start
- The optimists would like the second half of the game
- Two third period goal erase one goal Panther leads
- Streak of no back to back regulation losses continues (November)
- Neal hurt.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2019, 06:39 AM   #2
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

9 shootout losses in a row? You’d think luck gets you a win in there somewhere.

Or maybe that’s a spreadsheet take.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 07:19 AM   #3
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Smith was great.

Is it just me or is Hamonic getting a lot more of his shots blocked from the point? It seems very rarely he's getting them through.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:02 AM   #4
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Will be interesting to see if they go with Smith on Saturday.

They tend to have this stuff mapped out before a trip, so Rittich wouldn't surprise me, but Smith played well enough to keep the net
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 09:28 AM   #5
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Will be interesting to see if they go with Smith on Saturday.

They tend to have this stuff mapped out before a trip, so Rittich wouldn't surprise me, but Smith played well enough to keep the net
It was good to see Smith finally not play like a turd and be a reason the team got a point, but I would say the move is still to go back to Rittich against a pretty solid playoff team in the Penguins. Going to Smith now would basically initiate a win and your in mentality and I don't think you want that going into the playoffs, especially with a boom or bust guy like Smith in the fold.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:34 AM   #6
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
It was good to see Smith finally not play like a turd and be a reason the team got a point, but I would say the move is still to go back to Rittich against a pretty solid playoff team in the Penguins. Going to Smith now would basically initiate a win and your in mentality and I don't think you want that going into the playoffs, especially with a boom or bust guy like Smith in the fold.
Not sure what that means but isn't that a good thing?
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:25 AM   #7
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Panthers 3 Flames 2 (SO)

The shoot out futility is annoying, but what’s happened to the 3v3 magic? They had chances but it used to be almost an automatic win.

I’d love to see Kylington out there - he’s made for 3v3. I’m sure they don’t trust him defensively but maybe in a meaningless late season game he will get a shot. I think he would be dynamite.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:44 AM   #8
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I was traveling and did not see the game but...

Gio mentioned after the TBL game that they had to just play more direct and put pucks in and go to work. TBL stood up at the blueline took the puck off CGY and just went to the races on the transition.

Reading the comments in the FLA GT some posters were saying CGY had a lot of low quality shots, they played like last year or they are not built for that kind of hockey.

I think the top 2 lines (they guys who are on the ice the most) need to figure a way to be effective in these types of games.

Can Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm play the retrieval game? Those guys need to figure it out - they play the most and they either have to buy in with pucks deep and get it done or they need to play their 'off the rush' style and generate chances.

My guess is they did the pucks deep against FLA and really didn't generate much. Change the lines - to these pairs?
Gaudreau Monahan
Tkachuk Lindholm

Gaudreau Monahan Tkachuk
Bennett Backlund Lindholm

I don't watch them closely but has TBL changed their style with tighter games or do their guys just execute and CGY has decided to relax a bit after the break?
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:48 AM   #9
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

^ Tampa is fast, assertive and skilled. Calgary vs Tampa didn’t have enough pace with the puck.

Tampa quickly puts the puck in dangerous places and gets shots away. Classic example of good goals in that Royal Road article from a while back.

Last night vs Florida was a boring game and most of the shots were put at the crests of the goalies by both teams, making them look good. More dump and chase and perimeter hockey and low quality shots.

Smith made a really good blocker save on a breakaway in OT.
Otherwise you didn’t miss much.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2019, 10:55 AM   #10
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
^ Tampa is fast, assertive and skilled.
I thought that was CGY too.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Lebowski For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2019, 10:57 AM   #11
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I thought that was CGY too.
When they are on their game. Against Tampa they had a couple of flashes but mainly it looked like they had been reading their own press and were out-competed.

Not sure why they got nothing going against Florida, but it was a lot of ugly hockey
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:59 AM   #12
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I was traveling and did not see the game but...

Gio mentioned after the TBL game that they had to just play more direct and put pucks in and go to work. TBL stood up at the blueline took the puck off CGY and just went to the races on the transition.

Reading the comments in the FLA GT some posters were saying CGY had a lot of low quality shots, they played like last year or they are not built for that kind of hockey.

I think the top 2 lines (they guys who are on the ice the most) need to figure a way to be effective in these types of games.

Can Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm play the retrieval game? Those guys need to figure it out - they play the most and they either have to buy in with pucks deep and get it done or they need to play their 'off the rush' style and generate chances.

My guess is they did the pucks deep against FLA and really didn't generate much. Change the lines - to these pairs?
Gaudreau Monahan
Tkachuk Lindholm

Gaudreau Monahan Tkachuk
Bennett Backlund Lindholm

I don't watch them closely but has TBL changed their style with tighter games or do their guys just execute and CGY has decided to relax a bit after the break?
TBL approached the previous game determined not to get down 3-1 again. They had our entry and exit strategies scouted and countered.

That's how I saw it. If Game 1 was game 1 in a playoff series (shootout aside), Game 2 was the other team saying "your move".

But there's no game 3 for us to counter their counter unless both teams make it to the SCF.

As for the Panthers game I really wasn't concerned. Panthers shut down the middle and Flames took what they were given. Had their share of quality looks, including a Brodie rebound thatTkachuk could have banged into an open net, a Bennett wraparound, a quick Mangiapane snapper that reimer reacted to well, and some PP looks that just didn't go in. Smith played well but that second goal I still think he wants back given that he was set and not screened - and then it's a W. Yes, it was a great shot, but it would have been merely a solid save.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post: