Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2018, 08:53 AM   #41
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sempuki View Post
There's just no way Klimchuk suppliants Frolik. Hope you got a good return for Bennett.
Scorp's line up is for the second preseason game. Not forever.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 08:59 AM   #42
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lindholm is a big up grade, Hanafin has great mobility for someone whose 6’3, tons of potential there. Flames for the most part looked much sharper than pre-season games from years past. I’m excited.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:10 AM   #43
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I fell asleep before the start of the 3rd. Woke up in OT. Glad to see the Flames come back to tie it (I’m watching the 3rd right now). I thought the guys looked fine for the first preseason game of the year. Some of these guys barely know each other. Given a little more time to gel, this is going to be a team to reckon with.

I’m looking forward to seeing Mike Smith in net and that 3rd pairing changed up next game. Let’s see Andersson out there. I don’t care if it’s Kulak or Stone sitting. I shook my head at both of them.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:26 AM   #44
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

We Had to go to sleep after the 2nd just too tired. Sounds like the 3rd was all Flames and an exciting last minute finish by Gio.
From the two periods we watched Flames outplayed Boston. 3 minutes of really bad goal tending made the difference.
It must have been a thrill for the Chinese fans for this game to go to a shoot out.
Like the new additions, want to see Neal with M&G come the regular season, and I am still not sold on Kulak.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:27 AM   #45
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Overall a good game.

I think Kulak struggled a lot and Bennett seems like the same player as last year.

I wouldn't mind a Bennett + trade for a goalie if that becomes necessary this year
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:34 AM   #46
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I was just watching a play in the 3rd where Bennett bulldozes Carlo, takes the puck off the boards to the net and has a nice scoring chance. Then Bennett, Jankowski and Hathaway start a scrum in front. I thought it was a great play by that line and just what they need to do out there. Bennett is a 3rd/4th liner now in my view. I'm ok with that.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2018, 09:45 AM   #47
Nsd1
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Highlights:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1040955896380248066
Nsd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Nsd1 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2018, 10:02 AM   #48
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Overall, best part was a comeback (even if ultimately unsuccessful).

More than talent, last years team needed an upgrade in resilience. The attitude changes when you prove that you can do something like come back from 0-3 is huge, and with a coach who will pull out the stops to make it happen. Today, the team proved to both fans and themselves that they’re capable of it.

I KNOW it’s just preseason. But every interview of the returning Flames talks about how much last year sucked for them, and how they want a fresh start. These kinds of experiences make for good groundwork for the rest of the season.
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 10:04 AM   #49
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

How jealous are you of Rask/Halak? Wow, what a difference that makes.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Madman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2018, 10:10 AM   #50
Hanafan
Draft Pick

I accidently set my alarm to 1130am instead of PM and didnt get to see this one. I know theres a replay at 11am but unfortunately Im working till 430pm. Does anyone know if theres a full game replay available online?
Hanafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 10:18 AM   #51
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

I thought the team looked great.

Halák was terrific. Gillies was not, but then again the surprise here is that one goalie in this game actually looked better than average. It’s the preseason, and they have only had one skate.

Brodano was excellent, as were Hamonifin. I was pleasantly surprised by Hamonic: he looked faster and more assertive. Stone was not great, and Kulak played bad.

Czarnik and Ryan really stood out, the top line looked good, and Lindholm fit that group like a glove. There already feels to be some chemistry between him and Gaudreau. Neal was quiet and Backlund looked very average, but who cares?

This team is going to be really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2018, 10:21 AM   #52
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just watched the PVR Overall good showing: my Takes:

- Flames are definitely faster!
- Not a bad first PRESEASON game from Gillies but he needs to work on the positioning/freezing. also you could tell from the Shootout goals that he was frozen a bit on them. Nerves maybe.
- Boston is going to make some noise this year once everyone is healthy.
- I hope they keep Lindolm on that Top line. He compliments Johnny qnd Mony well.
- Andersson in for Stone please.
- Gio already in beast mode!
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2018, 10:34 AM   #53
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anybody know how the other camp in Calgary is going? I would have to think there really is only one spot of regular playing time up for grabs. A rw on Bennett’s line is about it. Have to think that one of the players in Calgary group has the best chance.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 10:36 AM   #54
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good start to a looong season.

Going to China may have upped the intensity level for these guys which hopefully helps them get off to a better start. Not going to draw any conclusions yet other than the usual one. When the other goalie outplays your goalie you usually lose.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 10:38 AM   #55
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

All of the new acquisitions were much better than I expected, Czarnik especially. That dude knows how to carry the puck. Maybe he won't be capable of doing so against a full NHL roster but I'm optimistic for now.

I thought Gaudreau looked very off in the first, but gradually got better. I expect him to be a top 5 offensive player in the league and he didn't really show that tonight.

Monahan looked better tonight than he did in any game I watched last year, carrying the puck, making some nice passes, driving the net hard.

Brodie will get Norris votes this year, can't believe how bad he was under GG.

The Bennett haters are picking a strange game to criticize him, he was once again far and away the best player on his line.

All in all, a good start, and maybe the Wideman effect has finally lifted, the refs were very friendly to the Flames. It takes a lot of balls to give a team a bench minor for a full 5 on 3 with 2 minutes left in the game. I wonder what someone said on the bench?
Old 09-15-2018, 10:45 AM   #56
Super-Rye
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Good:
PP looked a hell of a lot better.
Team was faster and played with more resilience in this preseason game than they did for most of last season.
Brodie looked a lot better back on the right side.
The new guys looked pretty good. Team as a whole is more dialed in now than they were this time last season.

The Bad:
Giving up a bunch of goals in quick succession again. I get that it's hockey and sometimes it's gonna happen. It's good that they didn't crumble like they would have last year, but this is a trend from last season this team needs to put a stop too early.

Overall a pretty good showing for a first preseason game. Still lots of work to do but I liked a lot of what i saw.
Super-Rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 10:50 AM   #57
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bennett has usually come in and played great in pre-season, then sucked in the regular season. Maybe the reverse will be true this year????

One’s gotta think with the likes of Dube and Mangiapane in the system, a Bennett trade could happen. Change of scenery type thing.

Stone and Bennett to Ottawa or something?

Great to hear about the new additions shining.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:53 AM   #58
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-Rye View Post

The Bad:
Giving up a bunch of goals in quick succession again. I get that it's hockey and sometimes it's gonna happen. It's good that they didn't crumble like they would have last year, but this is a trend from last season this team needs to put a stop too early.

Overall a pretty good showing for a first preseason game. Still lots of work to do but I liked a lot of what i saw.
One of the things that really impressed me is when they went down 0-3 they just kept playing the same way - which was dominant.
A couple of us knew they were going to come back in the game and if not for Halak CGY should've cruised to victory.
It was just wave after wave of chances. Not everyone was clicking on all cylinders but that's a good sign- there's more still.

I don't like to put people on ignore but the Bennett haters can get bent - they also happen to be Brodie haters and all they do post the same unintelligible crap to provoke their warped narrative. Pathetic. But their negativity will not diminish the excitement and optimism this team will fuel.

Anyway this team stylistically is incredibly improved, the flow to their attack, the zone entries and chances off the rush were beautiful to watch. That game was just an affirmation of what I was hoping to see with all the changes. I have no doubt that this season will be great in terms of results and entertainment.

It will be great to see how much noise they can make this year.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Lebowski For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2018, 11:01 AM   #59
Fire in the disco
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Anyone else’s PVR cut out with 10 min left in the third!? Liked what I saw from the boys aside from the first period collapse, the comeback was resilient and this team looks like they may have the spark they were missing last year, at least early on
Fire in the disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 11:02 AM   #60
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---Hatrick--- View Post
Czarnik looks like an absolute steal. Boston must have some very solid depth if they were willing to let this kid go
Willing to let him go? He was an UFA. They had no choice in the matter about him leaving unless he wanted to stay or they massively outbid every team for him.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote