Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-11-2018, 04:03 PM   #21
MotoRacer
Scoring Winger

Exp:

No idea why any of these sites exist when Nhl ticket exchange now lists regular and resale together?
MotoRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:10 PM   #22
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

People using CP for profit goes against the spirit of the site imo. Look at the advertising for example. CP could realistically use obnoxious ads at their free will and still have a similar readership, and they would make way more money. But they don't and I appreciate that. Its one of the many things that makes this place so enjoyable to read.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2018, 04:22 PM   #23
chaoticmonk
Farm Team Player

Exp:

the price is inflated in the search, but after you select your press level seats and go to the next step, the price fixes itself...
chaoticmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chaoticmonk For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2018, 04:32 PM   #24
ST20
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
People using CP for profit goes against the spirit of the site imo. Look at the advertising for example. CP could realistically use obnoxious ads at their free will and still have a similar readership, and they would make way more money. But they don't and I appreciate that. Its one of the many things that makes this place so enjoyable to read.
I'd say the spirit of the site is hockey (flames) discussion which is in a different forum from sales. I don't think allowing above face value sales impacts the main purpose of this site. I actually think it's a good thing because it means more hardcore flames fans who visit the site have more opportunity to attend games. It's pretty disheartening going to a big game and half the arena is cheering for the other team (exaggerating a little).

Yes, other teams fans could technically visit the site to find cheaper tickets than what would be on stubhub/ticketmaster but lets be honest most people won't even think of doing that.

FYI - I say cheaper because GST is new to resale/purchase of resale tickets and fees have always been high on both of those sites.
ST20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:57 PM   #25
hockeyhuman
Draft Pick

Isn't co-op or something taking over the sport chek tickets this year for PL? I could be wrong
hockeyhuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 10:24 PM   #26
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
IMO it would be a huge mistake for Bingo and team to allow for sales above face value on this site, it's a huge perk to being a member of this site.

A friend mentioning to me that CalgaryPuck was a great site to buy face value Flames tickets is what attracted me to this site to begin with.

11 years and 12k+ posts later I am still here, and I'm sure I'm not the only poster with that experience. If tickets were being sold at scalper prices I probably never end up on this site.

As a season ticket holder you are already making the mark up from season ticket holder price to face value price when you sell on CalgaryPuck, if you want to make more money then you can deal with the a-holes on Kijiji or the ticketmaster fees.

You have over 12,000 posts on CP. After a really quick review you post in threads involving the NFL, WWE, Flames, tennis, soccer, Nintendo, etc. Are you saying you would stop coming here if people were allowed to buy and sell tickets at whatever price they wanted, instead of just avoiding that section? There are many reasons to come to CP. That just seems silly to avoid it for that reason.

I've debated this topic many times on CP. I'm not sure the people who are vastly opposed to selling tickets at any price, including above face value, have thought out the math completely, nor have they thought out what would happen if the supply exceeded the demand.

Here's my post on it during the 2017 playoffs, when someone mentioned how high ticketmaster fees are:

Quote:
To continue beating a dead horse, this is why I proposed selling for over face value on CP. Yes they are over face value, but both the buyer and seller avoid ticketmaster fees. Ticketmaster takes 25% (10% from the seller and 15% from the buyer). If above face value was allowed here, the tickets are bought by Flames fans, the prices are lower, and ticketmaster doesn't get their cut. It's a lot of wins. Face value isn't illegal, and contrary to the last debate over this, selling above face value is not akin to driving drunk. Seriously.

It would likely also cut down on secret PMs that people send to STHs, like myself, offering to buy/sell tickets. I'm sure there are a few STHs who have accepted these offers.

If you have everything out in the open, it is more transparent. If 100 CP members that are STHs post tickets for above FV, and no one buys, then the prices come down. If there is increased supply and competition, the prices go down.

Here was a thread that was started by me in 2016: https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=153335

As is the same in this thread, Yoho is leading the charge to make sure it never happens, without actually listening to the other side of the debate.

Here's another debate on it: https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?p=5282823

In post #21 I detail the math in full. The tl;dr version is as a seller I'd like to get a certain amount on my sale. If the buyer is on CP then the buyer pays substantially less than if I list on a resale site. Whichever method is used, I still get the exact same price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2018, 03:30 AM   #27
pokerNhockey
Farm Team Player

Exp:

It is really simple to compare prices to what they are worth on your preferred resale site - for both the buyer and seller. If someone is charging more, don't buy there tickets. If they are charging less, either appreciate they are giving you a deal because they can do see the same prices you do, or re-evaluate your part as a purchaser in secondary market tickets sometimes being above face.

I am a season ticket holder and last year, for the games I couldn't attend, I took a loss on significantly more games then I sold above face.

From my experience, the people who get the most indigent about resales above face are also the first to say that it is my problem when I can't recover my cost. I have yet to have one of them offer me above market to keep me whole in those situations, and from my perspective it is only fair if it works both ways.

As an example:
  • Pre-season tickets are basically worthless but I have to buy them - I will be giving all 4 away again this year. The Flames claim preseason are worth $66 at face value, so my cost is $39.
  • Toronto (The highest price sale I had last year) face is $91 this year. You can buy Toronto tickets at my price point on ticketexchange for $100 right now (before fees).
  • To go to one pre-season game and the leafs (my highest and lowest sale price last year), would you rather pay:
    1. The current way it works where I give away the preseason and sell Toronto on ticketexchange for market price - $100/seat,
    2. Cost for the pre-season and face for the Toronto game - $120/seat, or
    3. Face for both - $157/seat
That's the other side of the coin that people who are against sales above face don't seem to consider. The "fair" options (where I don't subsidize people going to lower value games and dont charge above face) seem to work more in my favour, at least for the Toronto game.

Since I have lurked for a while even though I am relatively new to posting, where possible, I plan on offering any of the games I can't attend on CP for the same price as I can get on ticketexchange - reducing your cost of buying my tickets by 25% (ticketmaster markup). As such, the current policy really doesn't affect me in any way - frankly, it is less effort to sell through ticketmaster.

Hopefully this shows that the average season ticket holder is not evil for trying to get market prices for premium games. I think people who buy tickets just to scalp are a whole other discussion, and don't even get me started on ticketmaster charging more to resell tickets when it is the same system.
pokerNhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pokerNhockey For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2018, 06:20 AM   #28
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Lol leading the charge, Squiggs you poor thing.

If you want to keep wasting your time year after year bringing this topic up be my guest it’s been working out great for you so far.

I have 4 green seats I could easily sell for above face value and would never think to try making money off the backs of the rest of CP members.

It’s unfortunate you think it’s your birth right and every season at some point the drum of your first world problems starts beating.

I don’t see this one changing, so maybe sit back in that million dollar house on the island and let this one go.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:21 AM   #29
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
You have over 12,000 posts on CP. After a really quick review you post in threads involving the NFL, WWE, Flames, tennis, soccer, Nintendo, etc. Are you saying you would stop coming here if people were allowed to buy and sell tickets at whatever price they wanted, instead of just avoiding that section? There are many reasons to come to CP. That just seems silly to avoid it for that reason.
At no point was this close to being suggested in the post you quoted.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2018, 07:08 AM   #30
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post

If you want to keep wasting your time year after year bringing this topic up be my guest it’s been working out great for you so far.

I have 4 green seats I could easily sell for above face value and would never think to try making money off the backs of the rest of CP members.

It’s unfortunate you think it’s your birth right and every season at some point the drum of your first world problems starts beating.

I don’t see this one changing, so maybe sit back in that million dollar house on the island and let this one go.
So I assume you sell at season ticket holder price and not face value here?
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2018, 07:17 AM   #31
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you all want to scalp there are dozens of other places to do it.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 07:27 AM   #32
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
So I assume you sell at season ticket holder price and not face value here?
More often than not yes. I don’t think anyone has an issue with people recouping face value of seats.

In my opinion I’m the lucky one to have season tickets, if I can’t own them without “scalping them” for greater than face value maybe I shouldn’t have them.

I follow the rules of the board, choosing not to “stomp my feet” in self interest.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:27 AM   #33
ST20
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I'm pretty sure CP members buy tickets so you would be making money off them while these Ticketmaster and StubHub make money off everyone. At least if you sold without fees and GST now youll keep money in your and the buyer's pockets. It makes sense economically for everyone except for the the government and ticket sites.

I'm new to this site but can anyone explain why this seems to be such a sensitive issue? You'd think that it would make sense to be able to find or sell tickets to other flames fans at a lower cost for everyone.

Quote:

Last edited by ST20; 09-12-2018 at 07:33 AM.
ST20 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ST20 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2018, 07:42 AM   #34
zarrell
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I think you missed the part where selling above face value actually benefits fellow CP members. I'm not selling my premium or mid level games on here because I can get more on tickermaster. So if a buyer wanta to go to the oiler game he is paying a premuim on ticketmaster plus the tickermaster fees. If i could sell here we would both save. The only ones I sell here are the ones where no one wants to go and I have to sell under my price. Thats the only argument being made.

zarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zarrell For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2018, 08:10 AM   #35
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
More often than not yes. I don’t think anyone has an issue with people recouping face value of seats.

In my opinion I’m the lucky one to have season tickets, if I can’t own them without “scalping them” for greater than face value maybe I shouldn’t have them.

I follow the rules of the board, choosing not to “stomp my feet” in self interest.
So your a scalper too, not all of the time but you sell and have sold seats for more than you paid for them. This does not line up with your original statement to Squiggs.

No one is stomping their feet or breaking rules, they are wanting changes to the rules to benefit the community of sellers and buyers.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:14 AM   #36
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

My bad I thought scalping was selling for over face value.
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoho For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2018, 08:15 AM   #37
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
Not at all what I said.

I said the Buy/Sell forum at face value was why this site was referred to me to start with. So if I never come and create an account, and start posting to be able to take advantage of the buy and sell thread then I probably don't ever come to CalgaryPuck and see how great it is.

Of course I would never leave now (it's a bit of an addiction) but I think it's a good incentive to get people to sign up here to start with.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2018, 08:20 AM   #38
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My bad I thought scalping was selling for over face value.
You told Squiggs you don't make a profit off your fellow fans. You do. Call it whatever you want.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:35 AM   #39
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoRacer View Post
No idea why any of these sites exist when Nhl ticket exchange now lists regular and resale together?
NHL Ticket Exchange does not allow you to list a ticket below the price you paid. So if you just want to dump a ticket to get *some* value out of it becuase you can't get full value, you have to go the route of Stub Hub et al.

And since a number of teams have partnerships and advertising relationships with Stub Hub, my bet is that this distinction is deliberate.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2018, 09:03 AM   #40
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
For the record, I don't mind this conversation coming up from time to time. The challenge is that we have to find the answer that is most fair to most of our members.

The biggest concern I have with posting tickets over face value is that we become a place for scalpers (or professional sellers) to set up shop. There is something to be said for the relative level of comfort we have in dealing with other CPers for things like ticket sales, and that would be lost if there were a lot of scalpers. We could bring in a minimum post count again, but that often brought people to post "lol" in every thread to get their count up.

So I am open to suggestions. Be it status quo, or a change that is overall "better" for the community.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post: