Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2019, 10:30 AM   #141
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
The Eric Francis award
As bad as Eric Francis is, there are FAR worse. I would rank Francis against every single sports "journalist" in Edmonton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 10:31 AM   #142
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
You make it sound like the kids segments are filmed at gunpoint. That's ridiculous. I am willing to bet that more often than not the kids participating are pretty excited about being on TV with their buddies, or taking about their own hockey team.

As for Hometown Hockey, I have no problem with the show—its one more hockey game per week on the national schedule, and as an out-of-region fan that suits me just fine. As a member of a semi-rural community, I also find myself enjoying quite a few of the pre-game stories—the Okotoks episode that featured the Krebs family last year was great.

As with all things on television, the simple solution is to turn the channel. It's what I have been doing to Don Cherry since 2002.
I don't hate the idea of it, it's just the way they do it comes across like a segment on a crappy local evening News show, not a national broadcast
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 10:33 AM   #143
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I don't hate the idea of it, it's just the way they do it comes across like a segment on a crappy local evening News show, not a national broadcast
Yeah, that's fair.

Quote:
Old 07-08-2019, 10:34 AM   #144
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As bad as Eric Francis is, there are FAR worse. I would rank Francis against every single sports "journalist" in Edmonton.
I dunno, Tychkowski is okay. He’s been pretty critical of the club in recent years without being overly inflammatory.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:36 AM   #145
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner View Post
but i thought the worst was francis - maybe its just splitting hairs
It's Simmons by a mile. When he was here, it was all negativity and attempts to stir up controversies (similar to the Cherry fiasco). And when he left for TO it was a case of Toronto's loss was Calgary's gain.

I may not like a lot of Francis' reporting/opinions, but he's nowhere nearly as awful and negative as Simmons. He also makes a significant contribution to the Calgary community with his charity work.
Steve Bozek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:39 AM   #146
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, that's fair.
A good part of my dislike for probably comes back to my dislike of Ron maclean too. every show or commercial he does the same sappy crying Canadian kid growing up playing hockey stuff. Maybe I wouldn't dislike Hometown hockey if it was say Ryan Leslie or someone really good doing it to really lower the cringe factor

Last edited by btimbit; 07-08-2019 at 10:41 AM.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:45 AM   #147
Tacopuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Prediction:
NSFW!
Old 07-08-2019, 10:50 AM   #148
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
A good part of my dislike for probably comes back to my dislike of Ron maclean too. every show or commercial he does the same sappy crying Canadian kid growing up playing hockey stuff. Maby I wouldn't dislike Hometown hockey if it was say Ryan Leslie or someone really good doing it
Yeah, I agree. I used to like Maclean when he was merely the smartass foil to Cherry. His current over the top, melodramatic schtick is just pathetic.

Regarding Cherry, I used to tune in religiously and really enjoyed Coach's Corner. I didn't always agree with him but he was entertaining, opinionated and knowledgeable about the game. Every once in a while I get nostalgic (probably from the Ron Maclean commercials on the radio) and watch Coach's Corner. Half the time I don't know what Don is trying to say while he's tripping over his tongue, not finishing his thoughts, and speaking in vague Canadiana colloquialisms. He still understands and appreciates certain aspects of hockey that most of us don't. He's also still entertaining but maybe not in the way he intends but rather in a "angry old man in funny suit mumble-yells at clouds" sort of way. The man is an institution and certainly deserves a victory lap but I wouldn't at all be upset to see him ride off into the sunset.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:25 AM   #149
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacopuck View Post
Prediction:
NSFW!
Prediction: He will retire, go on to wear his fancy suits on the golf course, a flashy print fishing vest at the cottage, a flowered speedo at the beach, and living many years longer.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 01:37 PM   #150
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

While they are at it put Scott Oak out to pasture as well please.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 01:43 PM   #151
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

CBC News has a story on its front page online refuting this ‘rumour’.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 02:05 PM   #152
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe they'll get George strombolopolous back, haha
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 02:10 PM   #153
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
I'm fine with it as long as they make him wear socks
Old 07-08-2019, 02:15 PM   #154
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
I had no issue with George Stromombolompoblopobus.

But I do think that ship has sailed, especially with how well David Amber has filled the role of HNIC host. He's a guy who quietly passes below the radar, but really deserves more credit.

Quote:
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 02:18 PM   #155
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I wonder if they had more patience and gave him about five years if he would have worked out better. I didn't think he was that bad but he was always going to be a tough sell with the crusty old conservative fans that if they had their way the cast would still be wearing blue blazers.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 02:27 PM   #156
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

I follow Strombo on Instagram and all the pictures he posts of himself lately, he looks rough!. I think he's mostly living in California now as well.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 02:34 PM   #157
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was in the minority but I liked George. To me the anchor job is to setup the experts and then get out of the way unless they need you to jump in and keep the conversation going or from getting too far off track. I thought George was good at that and also added the “I’m just a big fan of the game, I don’t pretend to know anything, but this is awesome” element. Ron bugs me because he comes across as “I think I know everything, listen to me. I’m smarter than the panel...and I can come up with a pun at the drop of a hat.” Dave Amber does a good job too. He’s a pro anchor and can keep the guys moving while keeping things a little light.

I don’t really watch Don much anymore. When I do it is a little cringey at times as he’s either repetitive now or can get off track. I always say if there is a goal scored in the first where a Dman had his stick out you can make a prop bet Cherry will bring it up. “Kids, what do I always say? KEEP YOUR STICK OUTTA THERE!!” Ron tried to interject something “But Don, don’t you thing....” “WHAT ARE YOU TALKIN BOUT? LET THE GOALIE STOP IT!!”

I do appreciate how patriotic he is and appreciate the attention he gives to troops, first responders, and anyone else who has had a tough fight on their hands. His love of minor hockey and Canadian hockey in general is also something I appreciate. At 85 I’m not sure why he continues except it’s clearly his passion and for that reason I have to respect him.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to FurnaceFace For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 03:31 PM   #158
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

between this and the Brodie thing, Simmons has shown he is completely out to lunch.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 03:40 PM   #159
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
between this and the Brodie thing, Simmons has shown he is completely out to lunch.
Or he was used as some sort of a pawn in the negotiations. I could even see him and Cherry thinking Simmons would throw that out there, to try and gin up some outrage, and improve Cherry's leverage.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 04:00 PM   #160
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurnaceFace View Post
I was in the minority but I liked George. To me the anchor job is to setup the experts and then get out of the way unless they need you to jump in and keep the conversation going or from getting too far off track. I thought George was good at that and also added the “I’m just a big fan of the game, I don’t pretend to know anything, but this is awesome” element.
I think George's biggest problem was that he bothered the old style hockey analysts on the show. They had a way of being spoken to by Ron and David, it was calm, predictable and they're never caught off guard.

George was a quick speaking, free thinking host. It was his whole schtick on radio and TV before that. He speaks and thinks quickly and likes to let conversations go where they go. This is the exact opposite of what Kypreos, Hrudey etc want.

You could see them agitated and thrown off by how quick he'd throw to them after a random thought or discussion shift. They want to look prepared and smart, he often made them sound caught off gaurd and jittery, I found.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bring back howie meeker , edmonton is no good. , old man yelling at clouds