Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2024, 06:40 AM   #9081
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally caught American Fiction last night. I have to say that this might be the best show I've seen in a while. Very well acted, great story, poignant. Really well done and worth the watch.
9/10

Last edited by Cheese; 05-18-2024 at 11:32 AM.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 11:56 AM   #9082
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I absolutely loved Amy Winehouse, I can't count the amount of times I played Back to Black in the day. Massive fan so I was going to see this regardless.

It's not one of the better music biopics out there, it has some of the same cliches of how the artist/performer told off the record label and stood by their vision, etc. The Queen movie was really bad with that cheesy stuff and this is no different. The actress playing Amy had an incredibly tough assignment, but she was very good when you consider how completely unique Amy was. I wish we could have got another album from her, but more importantly it's incredibly sad she didn't survive her addictions and depression. So much talent and such a huge loss.
Engine09 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Engine09 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2024, 12:55 PM   #9083
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
I absolutely loved Amy Winehouse, I can't count the amount of times I played Back to Black in the day. Massive fan so I was going to see this regardless.

It's not one of the better music biopics out there, it has some of the same cliches of how the artist/performer told off the record label and stood by their vision, etc. The Queen movie was really bad with that cheesy stuff and this is no different. The actress playing Amy had an incredibly tough assignment, but she was very good when you consider how completely unique Amy was. I wish we could have got another album from her, but more importantly it's incredibly sad she didn't survive her addictions and depression. So much talent and such a huge loss.
The Amy Winehouse documentary 'Amy' is excellent. At the end, you will be sad and hate all the right people.
Old 05-18-2024, 01:14 PM   #9084
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

That documentary is infinitely better than the movie, same with the 2018 Back to Black BluRay release which has a lot of footage from the studio/writing sessions and interviews with the producers which I always find far more interesting than the personal aspect and the tragedy. She really was incredible.
Engine09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 03:45 PM   #9085
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watched the Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare.

Gotta say...pretty good. It was a fun movie, its not going to rank up with the current crop of classics like Dunkirk or 1917, its nowhere near that level, but its still a fun movie.

The major hurdle it faces is the same as most movies of its genre...theres too many people to keep track of.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote