Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2020, 11:55 AM   #121
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Red Dead Redemption II should get a mention here, close to a perfect game if there ever was one. It's more fun that GTA5 (and GTA5 was awesome), the story is well written, the gameplay is easy and addictive, and graphics are lightyears better. This game is extremely hard to put down.
Yeah it's awesome. It did crack the top 5 for a bit but GTA has a 9 point lead on it at the moment
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2020, 12:02 PM   #122
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I must just be missing something then. It was a very good game but its formula was basically the same as the two games before, I'd argue skyrim isn't even the best game in the series. It's a fun game but hardly a benchmark for anything but bugs and awful AI. It had a well made, large and interesting world, but that's hardly something unique.

Again, I really enjoyed it. Just don't think it's GOTD material
I guess it's hard to point what exactly made it so great. Skyrims biggest strength was how it drew you into the game and made you care about your character, the world and the decisions you made. No other game has made me feel like a was entering another world where something crazy and unexpected could happen at any time, and I don't expect another game ever will.

Also, fookin dragons, mate.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2020, 12:23 PM   #123
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone hands View Post
in what way is it like skyrim aside from there being grass and swords and you can ride a horse?

Archery, weapons, combat, cooking, enemy camps, underground dungeons, special abilities, stealth mode, mechanical enemies from a past age, stamina meter, etc. A lot of those are common tropes in these types of games, but without the success of Skyrim, BotW is probably a very different game and would look a lot more like a traditional Zelda game.

Even the things that distinguish the games just seem like Nintendo looked at skyrim and said "wouldn't it be cool if we added hang-gliding/climbing/etc."
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 12:47 PM   #124
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll put in a vote for Stardew Valley as well. Great, addictive indie game. Put lots of hours into this one, and can re-invest my time in it again and again.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2020, 04:42 PM   #125
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
Archery, weapons, combat, cooking, enemy camps, underground dungeons, special abilities, stealth mode, mechanical enemies from a past age, stamina meter, etc. A lot of those are common tropes in these types of games, but without the success of Skyrim, BotW is probably a very different game and would look a lot more like a traditional Zelda game.

Even the things that distinguish the games just seem like Nintendo looked at skyrim and said "wouldn't it be cool if we added hang-gliding/climbing/etc."
You basically just described Oblivion
Old 01-29-2020, 05:53 PM   #126
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

God Tier:
Zelda Breath of the Wild
Witcher 3

For me, those are the only 2 games in the convo for Game of the Decade. Tonnes of other great games, but those 2 stand alone on top.

If I have to add 3 more:

Mass Effect 2
Monster Hunter World
Fallout New Vegas

Last edited by RyZ; 01-29-2020 at 06:02 PM.
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 07:41 PM   #127
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
I'll put in a vote for Stardew Valley as well. Great, addictive indie game. Put lots of hours into this one, and can re-invest my time in it again and again.
Made by one person and surpassed the 10 million sold mark. Not bad at all. I enjoyed as well, very relaxing game.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2020, 08:22 PM   #128
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I had to cheat and give myself infinite resources to stop myself playing Stardew Valley
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2020, 09:06 AM   #129
Mathalete
Backup Goalie

Exp:

1. Witcher 3
2. God of War
3. Gears 5
4. Cities Skylines
5. Diablo 3

All of these games were incredible time sinks for me.
Mathalete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 12:55 PM   #130
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Updated to here!

The Witcher 3 re-takes the top spot, and Mass Effect 2 passes Red Dead Redemption 2 for 6th. Can it keep it's momentum and break into the top 5? Only two more days for voting!

Also I may have missed some votes if they weren't posted in the format in the OP. I just didn't want to mix them up as a discussion about a game and cast phantom votes
Old 01-30-2020, 07:15 PM   #131
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great topic

Tough call really, so many great games, so it tough to leave some out

1) Bloodborne - deserves some love...a game that I really found incredible despite wanting to throw my control through the TV a few times

2) RDR 2 - incredible game...the scene riding to the plantation was incredible

3) the Last of Us - sure, it was a rail game, but at the time, the story was just so damn good

4) Witcher 3 - Another fantastic game, that i probably only scratched the surface of, but great story, great characters

5) Skyrim - played it so much, just so many things to discover and that Ebony Armor was sweeet

tons of other great games, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Fallout 3: New Vegas, GoW, GTAV, any of the Dark Souls games, Uncharteds, Tomb Raiders... not to mention games I haven't played: Nier, Control, Spiderman, Seikero

Last edited by oldschoolcalgary; 01-30-2020 at 07:17 PM.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 08:40 PM   #132
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

One series I don't think I've seen mentioned yet is Far Cry

I don't know which one I'd pick, but I've loved 3, 4 and 5 all for different reasons

I think Far Cry 3 was a big step forward for the genre at the time, the hunting and stealth was done very well in an open world. Story was okay, but enjoyable. If you include the Blood Dragon DLC I think Far Cry 3 is worthy of a spot in the top 10
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wood For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2020, 10:08 PM   #133
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah I don't think any individual one makes it into my top 5, but as a franchise it definitely should get recognition, I even liked Primal enough to finish it.
Old 01-31-2020, 07:41 AM   #134
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

1) The Witcher 3
2) Red Dead Redemption
3) The Last of Us
4) Red Dead Redemption 2
5) Fallout 4

That last spot was a tough choice with GTA 5 and Uncharted 4 being really enjoyable games as well. I've never actually played Skyrim..
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 08:54 AM   #135
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post

i dunno man, maybe i am biased because i firmly think botw is the greatest game every made, but you just described every single game with a fantasy or action setting ever and saying it originated from skyrim

you're entitled to your opinion but i disagree completely with this entire sentiment
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 12:19 PM   #136
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone hands View Post
i dunno man, maybe i am biased because i firmly think botw is the greatest game every made, but you just described every single game with a fantasy or action setting ever and saying it originated from skyrim

you're entitled to your opinion but i disagree completely with this entire sentiment
That's exactly what I think too. None of those things exist because of Skyrim, they're all classic fantasy RPG elements.

Last day to get your votes in!
Old 01-31-2020, 06:29 PM   #137
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

1. Red Dead Redemption 2
2. The Last of Us
3. GTA V
4. God of War
5. Spider-Man

There's games that may have made the list like Horizon and Witcher 3 but I haven't got around to playing them yet.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 04:56 PM   #138
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Done the final update!

The Witcher 3 is your winner.

If you haven't had a chance to play it, say so here and I'll do a draw using a random generator. Whoever wins, I'll buy a copy of The Witcher 3 for your chosen platform!

Edit: I'll do the draw next Saturday. February 8th. Deadline to enter is Saturday morning at 8:00am mountain time

Last edited by btimbit; 02-01-2020 at 05:58 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2020, 05:28 PM   #139
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well if that aint the most generous thing.

I haven’t played it. I think I’d prefer ps4 over pc so I can play on the couch.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 06:23 PM   #140
BlAcKNoVa
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I apparently have 560 hrs on The Witcher 3 and I've never beaten it. I don't know how many idle hours are on there, but I also have made a couple dozen videos while playing it as well. I've gotten to Skellige once, and played through most of it, but never have done the DLC's yet or gone through Kaer Morhen. I decided to look into modding it and decided to start over from scratch.

At first I decided to go light on the mods as it was a learning process along the way. Would start a new game, then stop randomly to play something else (Outer Worlds for example). Got back into it, then had a hard drive issue and lost all my downloaded/installed mods I had. In December I decided to re-mod the game and spent a week or two researching and downloading mods, testing in-game.

When I finally started a new playthrough I ended up having roughly 150 or so mods installed. Everything from the weather and lighting, new and upscaled textures for the environments, some armours and NPC's and monsters got some HQ updates, a lot of gameplay elements, QoL changes, animations, and patches galore. I love modders.

Been playing it a lot recently and about to head back to Skellige for the first time since I played vanilla. I think this is finally going to be the playthrough where I actually finish the damn game lol
BlAcKNoVa is offline   Reply With Quote