Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2020, 07:55 PM   #361
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like Hometown Hockey and I absolutely love hearing stories about this amazing game from all corners of the country.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2020, 07:56 PM   #362
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
I like Hometown Hockey and I absolutely love hearing stories about this amazing game from all corners of the country.
...said no one ever.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2020, 07:56 PM   #363
rhino
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
It really is amazing.... so many amazing stories from amazing people in amazing places.
rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 07:58 PM   #364
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I hope we get another AMAZING Documentary on the AMAZING Connor Mc Skinned knee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Johnhitbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 07:59 PM   #365
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I turned it off a while ago, and now I’m sensing I missed out on something amazing.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 08:01 PM   #366
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
How the hell does no one at Sportsnet watch Hometown Hockey and think that maybe this is awful television. Nobody cares about the Bantam A team from LaSalle Ontario or the Peewee B team from Dipstick, Saskatchewan. Seriously. This stuff is just awful.
Agreed 100 percent. Even if it was local I still wouldn’t care about McKnight hockey and why some kid chose their number, what kind of player they choose to attempt to emulate or how their team did in the last game. It’s beyond awful.

However I just choose to watch something else during the intermissions. I usually watch the other teams feed anyways on sundays being Hrudey isn’t on.

What can one do though. I can’t change the programming decisions for sports net. Oh well.

Last edited by soulchoice; 02-23-2020 at 08:15 PM.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soulchoice For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2020, 08:12 PM   #367
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

At least they got the music right. Birdirrdiirdirdirdirdir birdiirdiirdirdirdirdirdir plunk
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 06:02 PM   #368
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have to say Sportsnet was solid and entertaining all day long for trade deadline. Much improved over previous years where it seemed lacking fill and jumped all over the place. Good stories and presentation.

Boudreau was a good add with Burke, Hrudey and Debrusk. Stewart, Versteeg, Bieksa and Armstrong remained above the cringe line.

Friedman and Johnston severely underused though. I know they're the insiders but their whole role all day was in the back doing trade announcer lackies with no ability to be involved in conversations or analysis.

A few too many multiple repeat feeds with locals in Edmonton, Montreal and Winnipeg but I was behind the feed so I just hit ffwd.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2020, 07:08 PM   #369
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
How the hell does no one at Sportsnet watch Hometown Hockey and think that maybe this is awful television. Nobody cares about the Bantam A team from LaSalle Ontario or the Peewee B team from Dipstick, Saskatchewan. Seriously. This stuff is just awful.
I really wonder what the ROI is for Rogers for this. Hometown Hockey production seems to be quite a waste of money for them in regards to the audience I imagine they recieve.

Would be better off with just keeping it standard like the rest of their national broadcasts.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 07:15 PM   #370
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
I really wonder what the ROI is for Rogers for this. Hometown Hockey production seems to be quite a waste of money for them in regards to the audience I imagine they recieve.

Would be better off with just keeping it standard like the rest of their national broadcasts.
I think it’s cool that they travel to the towns and stuff but the actual content is just awful. I don’t want to watch unqualified 12 year olds on the panel talking about the goal they scored the other night. It’s just awful television.

I think if they had the same idea but instead of boring stories about unimportant and uninteresting people they should just have a standard broadcast live in the town. That way the towns still get to host the event and the viewers don’t have to suffer through some tedious nonsense.

If they can tie the town in to an old NHL player I say keep those stories, but the kids and the stories about the local rink rats and beer league teams need to go away.

Last edited by N-E-B; 02-24-2020 at 07:18 PM.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2020, 09:11 PM   #371
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry, didn’t know where to post this but is there a chance that TSN, or anyone for that matter, doesn’t pick up the rights to Flames games next season? Would we then have to get an NHL.tv subscription to watch Flames games?
Old 02-26-2020, 09:23 PM   #372
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Isn’t hometown hockey a Ron maclean vanity project? They gave that to him when George took over Hnic, but then he refused to give it up after he got George’s job again?

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 09:44 PM   #373
SnipeShow
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
Sorry, didn’t know where to post this but is there a chance that TSN, or anyone for that matter, doesn’t pick up the rights to Flames games next season? Would we then have to get an NHL.tv subscription to watch Flames games?
While I am also wondering the same thing, perhaps this would remove any of the local area blackout issues many have with certain subscriptions

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
SnipeShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:46 PM   #374
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sportsnet has followed the CBC and TSN into being another clinical study of ineptitude. Earth to Sportsnet, what planet are they on? It is a Wednesday night and another doubleheader opportunity is missed. The first game was a simulcast of two American teams. This definitely a prime example of "mailing it in."

must show all Flames games nationally when they play on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays !!!
hwy19man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 12:15 AM   #375
It's a great day 4 hockey
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaFaFlamey View Post
I remember my cousins from Edmonton were over during a Flames game in the 80s and were laughing when they realized the voice of Stampede Wrestling was calling our hockey games. Eddie was the best.
Ed Whalen, Jim Van Horne, Don Cherry, Ron Maclean, John Davidson, and Harry Neale. All of these hall of fame sportscasters were on 2&7 in the early 80's. We were blessed back then.

Now we get Cassie "monotone" Campbell. Where have you been lately Kelly Hurdey? Please come back soon!!

Last edited by It's a great day 4 hockey; 02-27-2020 at 12:50 AM.
It's a great day 4 hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to It's a great day 4 hockey For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2020, 07:11 AM   #376
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames did have a great run of talent on 2&7 in the 80's. It started going downhill in the 90's about the same time the Flames started heading into dark times. RSN is amateur hour and that's not going to change. We have to hope that the rumours are true and they won't renew with the Flames.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 12:22 PM   #377
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

^^^^^^^

Unfortunately, I think the Flames likely appreciate working with Sportsnet as it's very friendly and safe for them. They've built all these media relationships and kind of control the message a bit through Sportsnet.

Sportsnet probably still wants the Flames, this is likely just a strongarm as we're a very small market for them by Canadian hockey standards. They'll re-up with the Oilers and make the Flames take a lesser offer later, and I bet the Flames will go for it.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 12:26 PM   #378
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
^^^^^^^

Unfortunately, I think the Flames likely appreciate working with Sportsnet as it's very friendly and safe for them. They've built all these media relationships and kind of control the message a bit through Sportsnet.

Sportsnet probably still wants the Flames, this is likely just a strongarm as we're a very small market for them by Canadian hockey standards. They'll re-up with the Oilers and make the Flames take a lesser offer later, and I bet the Flames will go for it.
Maybe Rogers is trying to lowball the Flames into accepting a lesser deal but regardless how tight King is with the Rogers boys I can't see his bosses taking a lowball deal from RSN if TSN is willing to pay more.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 12:34 PM   #379
Azhouse
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

When Hometown Hockey was recently in Red Deer the studio trailer that houses Maclean and Sloan was parked in the middle of the hoard but the two stars never came out. It’s a made for tv event that doesn’t really cover anything. After people realized that Ron isn’t even really there everyone disappeared and the crowd shots were replayed footage. A bit of trickery and kind of a joke.
Azhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 12:35 PM   #380
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If Bell is offering big money for Flames rights they will move.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote