Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2021, 03:07 PM   #1141
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty sure they can't just remove it. The roots would get destroyed in the process
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 04:09 PM   #1142
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Is there such thing as a tree removal company that will remove a tree whole and then donate it or what not? We have a tree we want removed, but I hate the idea of it just getting mulched. My google search has turned up nothing but doesn't hurt to ask. It's pine tree of sorts, not sure of exact species. Probably 40 feet tall.
List it on Kijiji for free; must remove, and record what ensues when a couple show up expecting to dig it up and haul it away on the roof of a mini van. Accept youtube ad revenue as payment.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2021, 04:31 PM   #1143
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Is there such thing as a tree removal company that will remove a tree whole and then donate it or what not? We have a tree we want removed, but I hate the idea of it just getting mulched. My google search has turned up nothing but doesn't hurt to ask. It's pine tree of sorts, not sure of exact species. Probably 40 feet tall.
Call Clark Griswold.

surferguy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2021, 04:35 PM   #1144
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

We had a lodgepole pile removed. The guy removed all the needles for use in creating his own pine scented candles.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 11:52 AM   #1145
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Great replies haha. To be clear, I wasn't looking for a free service, just would prefer to see the tree survive the removal. I wasn't sure about the roots, as I wondered if they'd be able to capture enough of them with one of those \/ tree machines. Edit: A tree spade truck! Didn't know what they were called.

Last edited by woob; 05-03-2021 at 11:58 AM.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:37 AM   #1146
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it too early in the season to overseed a lawn? I’ve already raked, aerated and fertilized it last week
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 07:14 PM   #1147
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

OK trying to get a handle on the invasive weeds in my yard. I've already found Creeping Bellflowers, Lilles of the Valley and Goutsweed, yay...

Can't identify this guy however. Bushy looking things with finger-like leaves and a hairy stem + underside. Growing in the cracks of the flower bed and a patchy spot of the lawn.

Looks a bit like a Lady's Mantle or Chrysanthemum but neither of those is quite right. I didn't find anything on Alberta's list of invasive weeds. Any idea?

Edit, reddit/r/whatsthisplant identified it: Greater Celandine - Chelidonium majus. Sounds like it will at least be easier to control than the other three.

If anyone has advice on those however, I'm all ears.

Last edited by Flames0910; 05-04-2021 at 11:16 PM.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 12:33 AM   #1148
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
Wondering if anyone can help with a Norwegian Spruce...

The tree seems fairly healthy in that its's growing but the tips of the branches will get new growth and split off into a number of little branches and then they seem to start losing needles and they collect into a mass somewhere near the branching. Not sure if the are all getting stuck in sap or what. Doesn't seem to have any obvious bugs but this is the first spruce I've ever had soI dont know what I am looking for. Normal, not normal, call an arborist, anyone recommend an arborist?

It's either a weevil or a needle miner.

If you're up for it, go grab a spray bottle for your hose and get some insecticidal soap. Apply the soap and then make sure you rinse it off after or you'll hurt the tree.
Old 05-05-2021, 04:54 AM   #1149
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
OK trying to get a handle on the invasive weeds in my yard. I've already found Creeping Bellflowers, Lilles of the Valley and Goutsweed, yay...

Can't identify this guy however. Bushy looking things with finger-like leaves and a hairy stem + underside. Growing in the cracks of the flower bed and a patchy spot of the lawn.

Looks a bit like a Lady's Mantle or Chrysanthemum but neither of those is quite right. I didn't find anything on Alberta's list of invasive weeds. Any idea?

Edit, reddit/r/whatsthisplant identified it: Greater Celandine - Chelidonium majus. Sounds like it will at least be easier to control than the other three.

If anyone has advice on those however, I'm all ears.
It might be some kind of cranesbill...does it flower?
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 09:44 PM   #1150
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Question for people far more experienced with this than me.

Moved into a new house last fall, we have some praire grass in planter boxes in the front porch. We trimmed it down this spring because the internet said that was the thing to do.

It doesn't seem to be growing back yet (maybe too early / not warm enough) but more concerning is that it seems to have been completely invaded by quack grass. Short of digging up and replanting the whole thing, how do I fix this? Or am I dumb and what looks like quack grass is actually this year's growth of praire grass coming in? Please help lol.
My wife just did the same thing with ours even though I was skeptical. On bike rides I'm seeing tons of ornamental grasses still up (though I probably wouldn't notice any that had been trimmed). We'll have to see how it plays out I guess.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 10:11 PM   #1151
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Creeping Bellflowers
Just posting to make sure you're aware of the insane root system on these. You need to follow the delicate little runners and dig down to the massive carrots hiding deeper down.

You probably already know, but I'm an idiot that thought "these purple flowers are pretty, I'll just let them go" for way too many years, and it's been about 4 years of digging like crazy to finally be back in a spot where they are relegated to the lawn.

I'll have to dig out the entire lawn one day if I want to be truly done with them.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 10:14 PM   #1152
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Just posting to make sure you're aware of the insane root system on these. You need to follow the delicate little runners and dig down to the massive carrots hiding deeper down.

You probably already know, but I'm an idiot that thought "these purple flowers are pretty, I'll just let them go" for way too many years, and it's been about 4 years of digging like crazy to finally be back in a spot where they are relegated to the lawn.

I'll have to dig out the entire lawn one day if I want to be truly done with them.
I've been successfully nuking them with that Wilson spray I posted earlier. Total Whipe Out. Works really well. I think I did it twice last year. I'll see if they come back, but they were pretty much gone.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2021, 06:45 AM   #1153
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I've been successfully nuking them with that Wilson spray I posted earlier. Total Whipe Out. Works really well. I think I did it twice last year. I'll see if they come back, but they were pretty much gone.
The small portion of my backyard between my garage and fence has been taken over by that stuff. The last two years I haven't bothered to do anything about it. Previously I would spray weed killer that I brought back from the US and it worked great. Maybe this year I will try to control things again.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 09:05 AM   #1154
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
It's either a weevil or a needle miner.

If you're up for it, go grab a spray bottle for your hose and get some insecticidal soap. Apply the soap and then make sure you rinse it off after or you'll hurt the tree.
Thanks for this and everyone else who replied. Needle Miner makes sense. We have a metric #### ton of little brown moths around in the summer. I will blast the tree with the hose and destroy the little pockets, spray it with an insecticidal spray and rinse.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 09:13 AM   #1155
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes. But I think your tree is too big.
Old 05-07-2021, 09:15 AM   #1156
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
It might be some kind of cranesbill...does it flower?
Yes, it is some sort of geranium. Could be wild as they are native to the area and they will occasionally show up as a weed.

Reddit are a bunch of idiots.
Old 05-07-2021, 03:18 PM   #1157
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
The small portion of my backyard between my garage and fence has been taken over by that stuff. The last two years I haven't bothered to do anything about it. Previously I would spray weed killer that I brought back from the US and it worked great. Maybe this year I will try to control things again.
Ya it’s a nightmare weed for sure.

I’ll look into that total wipeout product. The accounts I’ve heard of people digging them up often and with “...and it came back anyway”. If you do dig, throw out the dirt & weeds, the city doesn’t want it in compost.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 03:33 PM   #1158
showtime
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Does any one use or know of a subscription based lawn care program in Canada like Sunday or Rachio Thrive? I have friends I'm the USA who swear by both but haven't been able to find anything similar here.
showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 06:16 PM   #1159
Flamesfan74
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Does anyone have any experience with artifical turf for their lawn? Between the snow last year and a very active dog, the backyard is starting to get beat up pretty good.
Flamesfan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 10:56 PM   #1160
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Planted some perennials tonight.

Need to get some landscape fabric, mulch and install the edging.

Depending on how big the feather reed gets I might need to add some blue fescue to the sides.

Tags
flowers , garden , green thumb , landscaping , veggies