Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Event Forums > COVID-19 Forum

Notices

Old 05-06-2021, 11:10 AM   #3021
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
They've done you all a favour. Golf is dumb and you shouldn't be doing it anyways.

You should be thanking them for saving you.
I don't want to agree with you, but damn if you don't make a great point.
puckedoff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 11:10 AM   #3022
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They've done you all a favour. Golf is dumb and you shouldn't be doing it anyways.

My boy and I start golfing together last summer (he is 15).

It is an exceptionally good way to spend some time together and bond a bit.

My boy is pretty serious and athletically expects a lot from himself. He plays aggressive physical sports (rugby/hockey/lacrosse/wrestling) and after a few games last year he started to put it together "Golf is the only sport I play where it doesn't help the angrier I get" , a good teaching moment.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 11:18 AM   #3023
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
So dumb. I'd like to ignore the rules here, but how can you? You can't just book a foursome and if you're a member somewhere they know that you live with these people (or don't). It's just entirely stupid.
No, you're right, but it's easy for 3 people to say they live alone and play as a threesome. It's more confusing doing it the way they are doing it. I live with one person, so I can only play with her (she doesn't play). If I'm single I can play with 2 others. If I want to have a 5 person BBQ, where it's even more difficult to distance than when golfing I can.

I have no issue with outdoor sports where you're coming into close contact with people and breathing hard, things like Tennis, and Golf etc, seems silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
I try to stay out of picking apart the inconsistencies of the rules, of which there are many, but this one does seem odd to me as well.

You can socialize outside with 4 other people, but don’t exercise or play a game while doing it?

And actually the wording is this “ All outdoor sports and recreation activities are prohibited, except with members of your household, or your two close contacts if you live alone.” which if taken literally means don’t do it alone either...only do it with members of your household.
Yeah I understand basketball where you're breathing on each other, but tennis is more socially distanced than going on a bike ride, walk, or having a bbq. It's bizarre.

I also try to stay out of nitpicking some of the little rules, but this just flies in the face of a bunch of other rules. Can I just classify golf as an outdoor gathering? I've basically followed all the rules to this point, (we've been locked down more than most due to my spouse's occupation) but this stuff should be better thought out, especially when we've been promoting getting outside.

I also get that there are a lot of people that given the chance would go out, get hammered, and play golf and likely not follow some of the rules as well.

Anyway, responding and posting about makes it seem like I'm really upset by it, I'm not, it just seems silly. Shut it all down, or don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
I'm frustrated as well, as playing singles tennis with my friend is far safer than having a 2m beer together outside.

I accept the blanket banning of everything to do something despite the fact it's pretty annoying.
It wasn't confusing last summer when they said don't share a cart. I usually walk.

I have no issue banning outdoor sports like basketball where you are breathing heavy and bumping into each other etc. It's easier to distance playing golf than it is when I have a 5 person BBQ in my back yard. I hadn't even thought of tennis until your post..

It's bizarre, you aren't near each other or breathing heavy playing golf. I find doing it this way is more confusing. Ban it or don't, but when the rules make zero sense people will ignore them.

Last edited by AFireInside; 05-06-2021 at 11:47 AM.
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AFireInside For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 11:27 AM   #3024
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
I don't want to agree with you, but damn if you don't make a great point.
Haha even I think it's a fair point many days.. I mean we're all here on a message board formed around Strapping metal blades on your feet, running around a sheet of ice, with an oddly shaped, taped up stick smacking around a piece of rubber. We do this in places where ice doesn't even exist outside of a freezer.
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AFireInside For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 11:30 AM   #3025
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
I try to stay out of picking apart the inconsistencies of the rules, of which there are many, but this one does seem odd to me as well.

You can socialize outside with 4 other people, but donít exercise or play a game while doing it?

And actually the wording is this ď All outdoor sports and recreation activities are prohibited, except with members of your household, or your two close contacts if you live alone.Ē which if taken literally means donít do it alone either...only do it with members of your household.
Agreed. Little point picking apart the rules, and if everyone does their job (keep booking appointments) we are out of this soon.
But, church stuff is puzzling:
15 people at church (unless one is dead) then 10 people only, but if you go outside after, then only 5.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 11:55 AM   #3026
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
I'm frustrated as well, as playing singles tennis with my friend is far safer than having a 2m beer together outside.

The way I look at it, analyzing the possibilities of outdoor sports would just lead to confusion.

- Basketball is banned
- Golf is ok unless you're sharing a cart. Then no.
- Actually, playing 21 or horse is ok on a basketball court, but no 3 on 3, unless it's full court, not half court
- Singles tennis is allowed
- Doubles tennis is banned. Unless each team is the same household

I accept the blanket banning of everything to do something despite the fact it's pretty annoying.
I think that these inconsistencies and rules that make zero sense just end up having people break those rules. Aside from the fact that my patience will only wear thinner as people have more opportunity to be vaccinated (and if they've chosen not to, that's really up to them), to think that a year into this we could have some thought put into the restrictions and regulations isn't asking that much. We did this last summer; golf had a similar battle and everything was fine. There's no reason to change that now.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 08:47 PM   #3027
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

It’s too bad smart watches didn’t get on board with showing us early signs of covid.

Smart watches detect early abnormalities in skin temperature, an increased resting heart rate and hrv (which is heart stress). It’s really too bad people didn’t take advantage of all the health data right under their nose.

I haven’t had covid and have no plan on getting it. However recently i had an ear infection and my smartwatch showed changes to my resting heart rate, skin temperature and hrv before the pain even started. Something my thermometer didn’t even show.

I think there’s so much potential to the technology that we ignored over the last year.
stampsx2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 09:05 PM   #3028
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Itís too bad smart watches didnít get on board with showing us early signs of covid.

Smart watches detect early abnormalities in skin temperature, an increased resting heart rate and hrv (which is heart stress). Itís really too bad people didnít take advantage of all the health data right under their nose.

I havenít had covid and have no plan on getting it. However recently i had an ear infection and my smartwatch showed changes to my resting heart rate, skin temperature and hrv before the pain even started. Something my thermometer didnít even show.

I think thereís so much potential to the technology that we ignored over the last year.
Wouldnít it be amazing if you woke up to a notification that read ďYou have the flu. You are in day 1 of 7 of being viral. Your boss has been notified. Go back to sleep.Ē
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 09:11 PM   #3029
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Wouldnít it be amazing if you woke up to a notification that read ďYou have the flu. You are in day 1 of 7 of being viral. Your boss has been notified. Go back to sleep.Ē
No doctors note required.
stampsx2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 10:45 PM   #3030
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Itís too bad smart watches didnít get on board with showing us early signs of covid.

Smart watches detect early abnormalities in skin temperature, an increased resting heart rate and hrv (which is heart stress). Itís really too bad people didnít take advantage of all the health data right under their nose.

I havenít had covid and have no plan on getting it. However recently i had an ear infection and my smartwatch showed changes to my resting heart rate, skin temperature and hrv before the pain even started. Something my thermometer didnít even show.

I think thereís so much potential to the technology that we ignored over the last year.
Apple watch would definitely show a drop in O2
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post: