Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2021, 12:23 PM   #2281
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I empathize with her because working for terrible people sucks but on the other hand, welcome to working for like 60% of all bosses ever and they exist at 100% of employers. It's just the corporate culture at most places that allows these types of people to succeed.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 12:24 PM   #2282
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
I'm not sure how to process this. It seems like he's an ####### to work for, and he picks some favorites and if it's not you, you are SOL. Sounds like he's a fairly typical boss with a grudge against an employee, and that this is a pattern for him. But I"m not seeing a sexual abuse/harassement side to this.

I think he needs to be called to account, but I'm not sure what about this is/will be done/could be done.
Exactly. While reading this all I could think that this was my previous boss to a T. Abuse of power and toxic, just a general all around prick.
Old 02-10-2021, 12:27 PM   #2283
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I empathize with her because working for terrible people sucks but on the other hand, welcome to working for like 60% of all bosses ever and they exist at 100% of employers. It's just the corporate culture at most places that allows these types of people to succeed.
The other thing, and I know I'm being cynical here, is that when you're dealing with artists/actors it seems that the common tactic is that you have to push them.

"Nothing I ever did was good enough!!" - As they accept their Oscar.

I dont know. I think we can all agree that its a messed up industry. Thats not an excuse though.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 12:29 PM   #2284
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

People really think "being a jerk" should be a criminal offence? Not defending Joss Whedon he sounds like a complete #### head.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 12:36 PM   #2285
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
People really think "being a jerk" should be a criminal offence? Not defending Joss Whedon he sounds like a complete #### head.
Okay. But this is the problem.

Sometimes being a jerk or an ass is a tactic to get the best out of your people.

Sometimes being a jerk or an ass is just because you're a jerk and an ass.

TV/Film is a lot like sports, you have a limited time-frame to get the best out of your people. If you feel they'll respond best to hating you and delivering their best performances just to spite you then...thats your job.

Its wildly imperfect. Its not like working in an office. But I'm not seeing any Sexual Abuse in this case.

He was a jerk. He was a terrible boss to work for. Maybe that was to generate some motivation, maybe he's just a jerk. But in the grand scheme of things....he was just a dick to work for.

There are worse things. We've all had terrible bosses.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 02-10-2021, 12:56 PM   #2286
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

For me, the issue is his virtue signaling, fake feminism. His supporters have long placed him on a pedestal of righteousness when it's now becoming obvious that he's an abusive jerk who doesn't give a #### about the men or women who work for him. His ex-wife has been beating the drum about his manipulation and misconduct for years.

I'm not here to say whether he should be 'cancelled' or not, but he is objectively a disingenuous fraud.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 12:57 PM   #2287
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Won’t try to excuse or defend the behaviour. Firing an actress because she’s pregnant is a POS move.

At least they had a productive six or seven year working relationship and made some reasonably iconic TV in the process - to this day, Angel is on my personal Mount Rushmore of Television, along with Frasier, The Simpsons, and True Detective 1.

Nobody kicks a door in like David Boreanaz.
Old 02-10-2021, 01:03 PM   #2288
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
For me, the issue is his virtue signaling, fake feminism. His supporters have long placed him on a pedestal of righteousness when it's now becoming obvious that he's an abusive jerk who doesn't give a #### about the men or women who work for him. His ex-wife has been beating the drum about his manipulation and misconduct for years.

I'm not here to say whether he should be 'cancelled' or not, but he is objectively a disingenuous fraud.
I have a hard time thinking of someone to whom this doesn't apply. Virtually every person we know as a champion of ______ rights is a total monster in real life and it has turned out they just had a really good publicist.
Old 02-10-2021, 01:08 PM   #2289
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Imagine hockey coaches directing movies.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 01:08 PM   #2290
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Won’t try to excuse or defend the behaviour. Firing an actress because she’s pregnant is a POS move.

At least they had a productive six or seven year working relationship and made some reasonably iconic TV in the process - to this day, Angel is on my personal Mount Rushmore of Television, along with Frasier, The Simpsons, and True Detective 1.

Nobody kicks a door in like David Boreanaz.
Alright...I know this is going to go over like a lead balloon but...is it though?

You were hired to do a job. You voluntarily changed your physical condition whereas you could now not do the job you were hired to do.

Yeah...it sucks. But all forms of employment require sacrifices of one kind or another.

I look at shows like Seinfeld where they hid Julia Louis-Dreyfus' pregnancies. Thats fine, its a sit-com, not an action/drama.

Sorry, but there are two sides to every story like this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2021, 01:10 PM   #2291
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post

People really shouldn’t be “supporters” of celebrities the way they are.

I liked Bill Cosby growing up. He was my introduction to stand up comedy. I laughed harder at Bill Cosby’s Noah bit and lying to his dad about being in slow class than anything Patrice O’Neal ever said.

And then I found out he raped a bunch of women. Kinda took the bloom off the rose.

People will do things that you like. If they’re artists, they could do something you REALLY like. To the point that it defines your worldview or sense of self. But you don’t know them, you’re not friends with them, and you’d probably hate them if you knew them.

And that’s fine.

Joss Whedon created Buffy, Angel, Firefly and Dollhouse, directed Serenity, two Avengers movies and the recut of Justice League, has incalculable wealth and success, and he still ain’t ####.

Remember that.
Old 02-10-2021, 01:13 PM   #2292
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I’m immediate sceptical of anyone claiming chronic physical conditions from a ####ty boss.

Like, honestly, go get a job where you get yelled at while *not* becoming wealthy and famous, but rather while your hands are bleeding and you’re just trying to make a living. (I have never been in this position, but it’s not uncommon for all sorts of bosses to be miserable pricks.).

At some point an ####### is just an ####### and the people around them need to take responsibly for themselves.
Old 02-10-2021, 01:15 PM   #2293
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Alright...I know this is going to go over like a lead balloon but...is it though?

You were hired to do a job. You voluntarily changed your physical condition whereas you could now not do the job you were hired to do.

Yeah...it sucks. But all forms of employment require sacrifices of one kind or another.

I look at shows like Seinfeld where they hid Julia Louis-Dreyfus' pregnancies. Thats fine, its a sit-com, not an action/drama.

Sorry, but there are two sides to every story like this.
I wrote and rewrote thoughts on this for about 20 minutes before going with what I went with. Write around it, be professional. It’s a baby; besides, it’s not like they weren’t running out of things to do with Angel and Cordelia’s arc.

This just occurred to me - . If Charisma Carpenter revealed she had a literal tumor, they would’ve done something cool with it story-wise, and she would’ve been nominated for an Emmy. And if she’d actually died, she would’ve Heath Ledger’d it for sure.

Good luck.
Old 02-10-2021, 01:17 PM   #2294
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Imagine hockey coaches directing movies.
What is the point of this comment?

Imagine the Airborne Sgt that loved punching people then while they were in the gas hut not wearing a mask directing movies.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 01:19 PM   #2295
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
What is the point of this comment?

Imagine the Airborne Sgt that loved punching people then while they were in the gas hut not wearing a mask directing movies.
Crappy bosses everywhere is my point. And Whedon isn't the boss, hes got a boss. The producers with crazy pressure and crazy deadlines not to waste millions of dollars.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 01:19 PM   #2296
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
I wrote and rewrote thoughts on this for about 20 minutes before going with what I went with. Write around it, be professional. It’s a baby; besides, it’s not like they weren’t running out of things to do with Angel and Cordelia’s arc.

This just occurred to me - . If Charisma Carpenter revealed she had a literal tumor, they would’ve done something cool with it story-wise, and she would’ve been nominated for an Emmy. And if she’d actually died, she would’ve Heath Ledger’d it for sure.

Good luck.
I cant speak about the story, but I dont have an issue with 'Writing Around It.'

But at the same time, this is a choice.

Old 02-10-2021, 01:21 PM   #2297
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
I cant speak about the story, but I dont have an issue with 'Writing Around It.'

Having a child while employed, regardless of profession, is a right, not a privilege.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2021, 01:22 PM   #2298
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I wonder if that's something that could be put into a contract? "Must maintain [X aspect] of appearance. Failure to do so could result in termination." or something like that.

I'm put in mind of Chrissy Metz, from "This Is Us", as an example.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 01:24 PM   #2299
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Having a child while employed, regardless of profession, is a right, not a privilege.
You can absolutely have a child while employed. Of course you can.

I dont know what to tell you man...you're talking about show business. It operates differently than the rest of the world.

Old 02-10-2021, 01:24 PM   #2300
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
I wonder if that's something that could be put into a contract? "Must maintain [X aspect] of appearance. Failure to do so could result in termination." or something like that.

I'm put in mind of Chrissy Metz, from "This Is Us", as an example.

nm. Google told me. Her weight was in her contract that she'd have to lose the weight as part of a character arc.