Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2021, 10:12 PM   #1
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:
Default Ex Yotes GM Chayka suspended til years end

Quote:
The NHL has suspended former Arizona Coyotes general manager John Chayka through Dec. 31, 2021, a source confirmed to ESPN.

The suspension is tied to Chayka's pursuing other opportunities while under contract with the Coyotes and terminating his contract with three years remaining on it, a source said.
https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...suspended-2021
Old 01-25-2021, 10:27 PM   #2
motorcrosser
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Dude seemed shady.
motorcrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 10:29 PM   #3
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

They were talking about the situation on TSN and showed clips of him at games smacking gum like a madman while they were talking. Looked like a slime ball
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 10:36 PM   #4
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know what it is specifically but I don't trust this guy, wonder how other orgs view him after this when he's looking for a job
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 11:06 PM   #5
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought Chayka's working outside of the hockey business. I can't think of a reason for any NHL team to hire this guy. Maybe the Flames could hire him to work for the Oilers?
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2021, 11:37 PM   #6
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
I thought Chayka's working outside of the hockey business. I can't think of a reason for any NHL team to hire this guy. Maybe the Flames could hire him to work for the Oilers?
I think he and his wife own about a dozen Wendy's franchises, on top of their SportsStats agency.

The Coyotes were paying him a non-compete for the remainder of his contract. My guess is that he was feeding another team statistical data under the table. I wonder if this will be a bigger story in the coming days.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 11:41 PM   #7
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Chayka made some good moves, like trading for Schmaltz, but a lot of his UFA signings and trades for veterans were questionable at best. Not a great GM tenure and it ended as poorly as I've ever seen.

Armstrong is already doing a better job in AZ.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 11:50 PM   #8
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

I had a friend who worked for an analytics company in Vancouver, and he said that when someone tells you they have "a secret analytics formula, but no one is allowed to see it" they have nothing. Chayka was apparently more or less looked at as a snake oil salesman.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2021, 01:11 AM   #9
Chingas
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
I had a friend who worked for an analytics company in Vancouver, and he said that when someone tells you they have "a secret analytics formula, but no one is allowed to see it" they have nothing. Chayka was apparently more or less looked at as a snake oil salesman.
So you're saying that he's the Joseph Smith of analytics?
Old 01-26-2021, 06:40 AM   #10
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I don't know what it is specifically but I don't trust this guy, wonder how other orgs view him after this when he's looking for a job
I had read that other organizations were kicking the tires on him. I have no idea why as he seems like the NHL's version of Josh McDaniels.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 06:47 AM   #11
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingas View Post
So you're saying that he's the Joseph Smith of analytics?
Dum dum dum dum dum.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 07:29 AM   #12
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Chayka made some good moves, like trading for Schmaltz, but a lot of his UFA signings and trades for veterans were questionable at best. Not a great GM tenure and it ended as poorly as I've ever seen.

Armstrong is already doing a better job in AZ.

I dunno Schmaltz is always injured and they did give up Dylan Strome for him
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
bax
Old 01-26-2021, 08:24 AM   #13
Gaudreau is a Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Speaking of business men who can’t be trusted, has anyone seen the FYRE documentary on Netflix!? Now that is a criminal business man (Billy) WOW!
Calgary Flames #1 St. Louis Cardinals #1
Gaudreau is a Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 08:29 AM   #14
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
I'm an oil and gas data scientist and this is true for all companies with 'secret analytics' formulas. I had one bozo tell me that his company had better AI than Facebook or Google because it was modelled after the human brain. It was no surprise that they stopped calling after I pressed for more technical details.
wireframe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wireframe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2021, 08:52 AM   #15
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

There should be a worse punishment for what he did. Legit screwed then Coyotes organization with the prospect fiasco, made really meh trades, and left them with no cap wiggle room (and not even close to being contenders). Top that off with his slimeball move of just ditching them when things got rough. He set them back a few years, which I didn’t even think was possible.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 10:53 AM   #16
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think it was ever confirmed, but remember those Dougie Hamilton rumours and Burke was mad at some GM for leaking? Wasn't it Chayka?

Quote:
“This is one where it’s very frustrating where you have to deal with leaks. And when as soon as one of the teams that in the mix in the leaks is the Toronto Maple Leafs…now it’s an army of leakers, an army of people who have no goddamn idea what they’re talking about who will happily go on and say the Toronto Maple Leafs are doing this and they’re doing that. This is one where we think we can trace the leak. Our GM [Brad Treliving] got a call from a team who shall remain nameless — at least for now, if this goes on much further I’m probably not going to remain nameless – and said ‘would you move Dougie Hamilton?’ and Tre said no.

“We expended a tremendous amount of assets to get this player. We’re really happy with him. He’s a quality guy. He’s 6’5. He weighs 237 lbs. He’s a right shot. He skates like a deer. He’s a good hockey player. Yeah, let’s move him. Let’s get rid of him. It’s not hard to get guys like that. So, we told this team – and by the way, the offer they made was insulting – so we told the team, no, we’re not moving him and next time you have an idea that stupid just save the quarter, don’t go to the payphone. That team started telling teams ‘yeah, we made an offer on Hamilton.’ Now it’s a rumor, it’s got legs, right? It’s almost like ‘well, they must be moving him.’
https://sports.yahoo.com/news/brian-...194839762.html
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 11:38 AM   #17
rogermexico
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireframe View Post
I'm an oil and gas data scientist and this is true for all companies with 'secret analytics' formulas. I had one bozo tell me that his company had better AI than Facebook or Google because it was modelled after the human brain. It was no surprise that they stopped calling after I pressed for more technical details.
Nothing makes me tune out of a pitch faster than being told that a model is "based on behavioural science and neuroscience!"
rogermexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 01:21 PM   #18
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
I dunno Schmaltz is always injured and they did give up Dylan Strome for him
Schmaltz got injured right after they traded for him but he's been healthy and their leading scorer since...

Strome isn't nearly as effective a player, IMO.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 01:33 PM   #19
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

So it's not entirely clear what Chayka is being suspended for. I'm sure there's more to it than looking for another job while under contract.

There's something juicy there, I'm sure.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 01:58 PM   #20
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Dum dum dum dum dum.
I hate the fact that you read my mind.

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk
Johnhitbox is offline   Reply With Quote