Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-19-2020, 06:04 PM   #1201
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Major potential regrets:

NEW consoles this year, probably November. the GPU's in the consoles are equivalent to radeon 5700/xt class graphics cards out now, will probably be ok for 4k resolutions. will also incorporate Ray Tracing functions. but then there's the whole have to re-buy compatible software issue.

New video cards this year: potential for Big Navi/ RDNA 2 /whenever Nvidia decides to release consumer versions of Ampere (They've announced the https://www.anandtech.com/show/15801...-a100-products which is for the enterprise market.) to make the current high ends (2080ti) look like mid range cards (ie 2060 territory).

AMD Zen 3 / 4000 series processors released later this year. Limited compatibility for motherboards. (550/x570 chipset only) 1 way conversion for b450 boards.

if you want Intel there's the 14nm++ 10000 series processors, while they have increased core counts it's dubious if there is any significant gain in performance from 8000-9000 series processors.

on the bright side RAM prices for DDR4 have been pretty consistent so 16/32 gb configurations should be good. 16gb should be minimum as that's what ps5/xbox series will have.

TL: DR bad to buy now because fundamental shift in hardware comes later this year and buyers remorse will combine with FOMO to make a very bad time.

Youtube links:
Spoiler!

FOMO: Fear of missing out

Last edited by Cliche; 05-19-2020 at 06:11 PM.
Cliche is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cliche For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2020, 06:50 PM   #1202
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am very much in that boat... have been waiting for the "Big Navi" thing to drop forever so it can drive down the 2080ti cost so I can go eGPU. Also waiting to play TLOU2 and FF7 until PS5 drops because my PS4 is dead and I'm not buying another this close to a next gen launch obviously.

Wait, wait, wait...
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 11:32 AM   #1203
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliche View Post
if you want Intel there's the 14nm++ 10000 series processors, while they have increased core counts it's dubious if there is any significant gain in performance from 8000-9000 series processors.
Well this has been answered less than 24 hours later:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15785...ke-we-go-again

Slightly worse than Ryzen 9 (at the same price point) for encoding and rendering, but top of the heap for gaming (but only marginally better than 9xxx).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2020, 12:40 PM   #1204
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

My 6700K is starting to look a little long in the tooth, but man do those new chips put out the heat. I'll probably hold off for Zen 3 and see what's up then.
Old 05-20-2020, 01:17 PM   #1205
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
My 6700K is starting to look a little long in the tooth, but man do those new chips put out the heat. I'll probably hold off for Zen 3 and see what's up then.
I have that exact same chip. Do you OC and if so how? LOL.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 01:57 PM   #1206
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm thinking about upgrading my 6700k this year as well; I'm doing a lot of music production and i need more headroom for plugins (more RAM is in the cards too...).

I OC mine to 4.6 just using motherboard settings. Googling "How To OC i7-6700k on [motherboard] will usually start you off.

Hitting 4.3 is super easy.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2020, 03:30 PM   #1207
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I overclocked to 4.6, and my temp shot up a bit. Under stress the temp tended to be 75 to 78 C, with the max getting up to 86 C very briefly over a 15 min stress test using realbench.

Acceptable or go back to default you figure? For context the standard voltage and core ratio had me at 79 as the max
Old 05-20-2020, 03:34 PM   #1208
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yep review embargo has lifted for 10th gen Intel processors.

New motherboards for LGA1200 sockets

faster for games, still a slight premium over equivalent Ryzen processors.

No OC headroom.

Youtuber's:
Spoiler!
Cliche is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cliche For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2020, 03:41 PM   #1209
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
I have that exact same chip. Do you OC and if so how? LOL.
I just have a mild 15% OC profile on my motherboard that I enabled, I haven't bothered doing much focused overclocking.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:45 PM   #1210
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Acceptable or go back to default you figure? For context the standard voltage and core ratio had me at 79 as the max
What benefits are you getting from being at 4.6?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 05-20-2020, 03:58 PM   #1211
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
What benefits are you getting from being at 4.6?
I'm not sure it's only been a few minutes. So... not enough?
Old 05-20-2020, 04:54 PM   #1212
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
My 4790k is angrily waving its cane at you young whippersnappers.

Next build is going to be Ryzen, but with Zen 3 coming this year, I'm holding on as long as I can.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2020, 07:45 PM   #1213
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not sure it's only been a few minutes. So... not enough?
Well, the question is why you would trade higher temps for extra clock speed. Are CPU speeds causing some issue for what you're using your computer for? Are you doing a bunch of tasks that could be completed faster if your processor were running at a higher speed that would make the trade-off worth it? That would be my main question before bothering with it.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:03 AM   #1214
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

OCs generally allow higher throughput; the gaming benefits i see from a 4.6 vs stock is about a 10-13% overall FPS Average gain (with an RTX 2080 @ 2K) esp in games that are CPU heavy, a lower frame floor and a higher ceiling.

For doing work in Ableton/PS/AE, I haven't quantified it but it's generally faster, esp for CPU heavy plugins like UA, Izotope and esp Waves stuff.

Runs at about 76c under full usage load (not synthetics) with a Corsair H100i RGB 240mm closed-loop.

Quote:
Old 05-22-2020, 07:58 AM   #1215
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Price drops incoming for the Ryzen 9 3900x in response to the new Intel 10th gen products. If you are planning to upgrade soon on a high end processor, probably hold off a bit and see what these settle at.
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/72678...00k/index.html
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 12:06 PM   #1216
ZedMan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
So I overclocked to 4.6, and my temp shot up a bit. Under stress the temp tended to be 75 to 78 C, with the max getting up to 86 C very briefly over a 15 min stress test using realbench.

Not even close to dangerous. The CPU will also throttle itself down if it gets close to danger. You can use a tool like hwinfo to check if you're throttling and you'll know you're pushing it.
ZedMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:49 AM   #1217
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Price drops incoming for the Ryzen 9 3900x in response to the new Intel 10th gen products. If you are planning to upgrade soon on a high end processor, probably hold off a bit and see what these settle at.
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/72678...00k/index.html
I figure with everything all in I'll want to spend around 2500 dollars on a new build. That's all in including a 4 year memory Express warranty. Putting a little away until next fall... that gives me 5 years with my i7 6700K. Good value.

I may upgrade my ssd today tho. The 250 one I have is a bit cramped, and, the Samsung 500 GB is on sale for under 100 dollars.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:57 AM   #1218
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Worth looking at CrucialMX for SATA SSDs... they're usually about 160 for 1tb and 320 for 2tb, but can go on sale for a bit less than that. I got my 2tb for 220 and it's been great.

The samsung EVO ones are pretty good but you are paying for the brand a bit. I don't think the QVO ones have particularly good speeds. I used an EVO in my laptop a few years ago and it's still going strong as an external drive.
Old 05-23-2020, 03:17 PM   #1219
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

got the wd black for 120, m2 with 500 gigs. Should tide me over. Me being the dip#### I am though, decided to delete my old partitions before installing windows. Now Im having a headache with the bios, I think its a legacy mode thing. when i go to make a new partition its not doing it right, or i have to leave like 11 gigs open as unused space or somethign ridiculous.

making a new windows 10 usb then going to try the legacy bios thing. god damn why do i make things hard on myself.

edit:

Fixed and then promptly nuke my backup HD with a quick format. #### sakes.

Last edited by White Out 403; 05-23-2020 at 04:00 PM.
Old 05-23-2020, 06:44 PM   #1220
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was going to start buying parts for my build starting with the case and X570 motherboard, but holy hell supply chain issues are huge right now. I was entertaining a Phanteks Evolv Shift X but I can't secure a X570 ITX board without paying $600 for one because supply is shot to hell. Even if I decided on something that could do mATX, still everything is slim pickings. Going with an ATX board is somewhat easier but limits my choices for a case.

Goddamn, maybe I'll just buy the M.2 boot drive first.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote