Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-26-2019, 07:41 AM   #3441
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
And every Pixar movie...
Well who doesn't own most of those on DVD already and how many times do you need to watch them over and over to justify paying for a monthly service? I'm not at all interested and while it will be successful I don't believe it's going to take over streaming or anything like that as at least right now they don't have broad enough content.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:50 AM   #3442
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Well who doesn't own most of those on DVD already and how many times do you need to watch them over and over to justify paying for a monthly service? I'm not at all interested and while it will be successful I don't believe it's going to take over streaming or anything like that as at least right now they don't have broad enough content.
It may be the go-to service for parents of young children, however.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2019, 11:16 AM   #3443
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

And every Fox, FX, FXX, ABC, NatGeo, Hulu (assuming Hulu doesn't come to Canada), Touchstone, New Regency, Lucasfilm, History, A&E, UTV, Disney XD/Junior/Spark and Lifetime show/movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2019, 04:10 PM   #3444
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Our main use for Netflix right now is definitely kids shows. Mind you, we tend to watch more Netflix in the hibernation months rather than summer time.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:34 PM   #3445
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
NBC is pulling The Office from Netflix to start their own streaming service.

I’m just about done with streaming. There’s too many services, they’re all overpriced, and none of them have enough quality content on them. I’m sick of paying $15-$20/month for 1-2 shows per service. Netflix is becoming a barren wasteland. The amount of quality they’ve lost in the last year and a half is stunning.

The high seas are calling again
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:46 PM   #3446
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

been ahoy matey'ing again for a while now
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:56 PM   #3447
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I read they aren’t pulling The Office for another 18 months or something. Not like it’s happening tomorrow.

But I agree. We’ve already reached a saturation point where there’s too many services and all of our predictions that a super all encompassing bundled service, that’s basically just cable, where you get access to all streaming services (for one low, low price) is bound to appear soon.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:30 PM   #3448
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
been ahoy matey'ing again for a while now
It's really pretty stupid. I downloaded most of my games when I was a teenager because I didn't have a lot of money and lived in a small town, so it took effort to go buy games. When Steam came about that took care of both issues, and I haven't pirated a game in over a decade. Same with music, used to download everything first from Napster/Kazaa, then torrents. But now with Google Play music having everything I'd ever want to listen to, I'd rather pay the $10/mo and not have to deal with tracking stuff down on my own

It looked like TV/Movies were moving in the same direction when Netflix was at it's peak, but then all of the studios reversed course and we're back in the stupid fragmented days. So now my Plex server gets lot of love and I'm not paying as much money as I would be if there was one all encompasing service that I could subscribe to
Old 06-27-2019, 06:44 AM   #3449
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean, cable is like 100$. How much can you possibly be paying for streaming? 15$ for Netflix, 10$ for Crave, and Prime is basically free since I used for years before the streaming became available. Disney's thing will be I think $8 at launch? 33$ is still a far fry from $100+ for cable, unless you're tracking on the average $8 a month you pay for centre ice or whatever but even then...

Quote:
Old 06-27-2019, 08:45 AM   #3450
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
I mean, cable is like 100$. How much can you possibly be paying for streaming? 15$ for Netflix, 10$ for Crave, and Prime is basically free since I used for years before the streaming became available. Disney's thing will be I think $8 at launch? 33$ is still a far fry from $100+ for cable, unless you're tracking on the average $8 a month you pay for centre ice or whatever but even then...
Or you could use real numbers and take the content into consideration.

$20 month for crave/hbo/movies, $15 Netflix, Prime $10, Disney $8 estimate, NBC $7 estimate.

That’s $60. But includes absolutely no sports making any comparison to cable at $100 pointless.

So let’s add TSN $20, Sportsnet Now $20.

Now we’re up to $100 total but obviously would still lack access to many core network channels cable offers. I don’t watch a lot of network TV but I’ll happily pay an extra $10 a month to watch shows live and commercial free instead of streaming them off the City/Global/CTV websites a day or two after air with mandatory commercials.

But that’s also missing one of the key problems, Netflix, amazon and Disney have unique content meaning cable subscribers need it too. And as content becomes more and more fractured, you’re likely to need access to half a dozen or more services to watch all the shows you used to be able to watch on Netflix alone.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 06-27-2019 at 08:48 AM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:30 AM   #3451
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Into the spider verse was added today!
Old 06-27-2019, 11:04 AM   #3452
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't find it.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 01:23 PM   #3453
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Or you could use real numbers and take the content into consideration.

$20 month for crave/hbo/movies, $15 Netflix, Prime $10, Disney $8 estimate, NBC $7 estimate.

That’s $60. But includes absolutely no sports making any comparison to cable at $100 pointless.

So let’s add TSN $20, Sportsnet Now $20.

Now we’re up to $100 total but obviously would still lack access to many core network channels cable offers. I don’t watch a lot of network TV but I’ll happily pay an extra $10 a month to watch shows live and commercial free instead of streaming them off the City/Global/CTV websites a day or two after air with mandatory commercials.

But that’s also missing one of the key problems, Netflix, amazon and Disney have unique content meaning cable subscribers need it too. And as content becomes more and more fractured, you’re likely to need access to half a dozen or more services to watch all the shows you used to be able to watch on Netflix alone.
Amazon's StackTV service is going to be 13$ a month and give you all the crappy network channels you need.

Also lol at paying for TSN and Sportsnet. NHL Live is packaged with my cell plan so for me, that's the real numbers.

Quote:

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 06-27-2019 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-27-2019, 01:49 PM   #3454
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
I can't find it.
Neither can I.
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 01:52 PM   #3455
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecil terwilliger View Post
or you could use real numbers and take the content into consideration.

$20 month for crave/hbo/movies, $15 netflix, prime $10, disney $8 estimate, nbc $7 estimate.

So let’s add tsn $20, sportsnet now $20.

Now we’re up to $100 total but obviously would still lack access to many core network channels cable offers. I don’t watch a lot of network tv but i’ll happily pay an extra $10 a month to watch shows live and commercial free instead of streaming them off the city/global/ctv websites a day or two after air with mandatory commercials.

But that’s also missing one of the key problems, netflix, amazon and disney have unique content meaning cable subscribers need it too. And as content becomes more and more fractured, you’re likely to need access to half a dozen or more services to watch all the shows you used to be able to watch on netflix alone.
nbc?
Old 06-27-2019, 01:53 PM   #3456
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Amazon's StackTV service is going to be 13$ a month and give you all the crappy network channels you need.

Also lol at paying for TSN and Sportsnet. NHL Live is packaged with my cell plan so for me, that's the real numbers.
Doesn't Gamecentre Live blackout regional games? Also people watch other sports as well as hockey.

DAZN is a good consideration. It has got MLB, NFL, Tennis, Premier League, Champions League, KHL etc. but another thing to sign up for.

Does anyone use IPTV? What is the legality of this service?
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 07:15 PM   #3457
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't imagine Disney streaming will be cheap for long. They might start out at a bargain basement price to pull in huge initial subscriptions but the price will go up fast. Disney is a premium/luxury brand and they do a great job of maximing returns on their brands. Just look at the prices for merchandise at the stores, the prices for Disney vacations or cruises. It is absurd. I can easily see them charging $20/month for streaming.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2019, 09:22 PM   #3458
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
Doesn't Gamecentre Live blackout regional games? Also people watch other sports as well as hockey.

DAZN is a good consideration. It has got MLB, NFL, Tennis, Premier League, Champions League, KHL etc. but another thing to sign up for.

Does anyone use IPTV? What is the legality of this service?

The only legal IPTV services are things like Shaw FreeRange, Bell Fibe, Playstation Vue, etc, and they cost close the same as regular cable. All of those IPTV providers you see with hundreds of channels for $10-$15/mo are illegal, and can be shut down at anytime. I did try one out for awhile and the quality can be excellent depending on which one you get, but never sign up for anything more than month-to-month because they get shuttered often
Old 06-27-2019, 09:48 PM   #3459
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
The only legal IPTV services are things like Shaw FreeRange, Bell Fibe, Playstation Vue, etc, and they cost close the same as regular cable. All of those IPTV providers you see with hundreds of channels for $10-$15/mo are illegal, and can be shut down at anytime. I did try one out for awhile and the quality can be excellent depending on which one you get, but never sign up for anything more than month-to-month because they get shuttered often
Are the Shaw/Bell/Rogers streaming services actually legal streaming services? I don't think any of those services can be subscribed to as standalone and are only added benefits for on the go viewing. Shaw won't allow screencasting of Freerange because they don't have proper licenses to the programming to allow casting through Google Chromecast. Those services seem pretty grey-market.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 10:16 AM   #3460
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

There are far too many options forthcoming for tv services and streaming now. Once Netflix becomes a wasteland with no selection, I'll cancel. Then I'll just use my cloudload(site for torrents with no IP tracking) or use my VPN for torrents/streaming.

Keep basic cable for my sports and such.

Even the Netflix from other countries which I watch isn't all that it used to be.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote