Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-22-2020, 10:23 PM   #1
united
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Anonymous poll of NHL agents

A few days old but polls are usually a hit. PuckPedia polled 25 certified NHL agents on a variety of topics. Some questions were worded poorly as with agents having a vested interest you could guess their answer before seeing the results, but overall some interesting insight with that in mind.

https://puckpedia.com/agent-poll

Not much for Flames content:

- Treliving finished in a four-way tie for first in the most enjoyable GM category, while receiving 0 votes for toughest GM but also 0 votes for easiest.
- Milan Lucic unsurprisingly was voted as having the worst contract in the NHL, but somewhat surprising in only narrowly winning over Brent Seabrook.

Others I found interesting:

- The Don, Lou Lamoirello, received the most votes for toughest GM to deal with by a wide margin. No surprise there. Strangely, he also received 1 vote as easiest to rip off.
- Kyle Dubas received by far the most votes for easiest GM to rip off. In fact, no other GM received more than 1 vote. No surprise given his dubious RFA work. I was a bit surprised John Chayka didn't receive a single vote as I assumed an "old boys' club" bias would exist but that was my mistake - or they just dislike Dubas even more.
- Nathan MacKinnon winning best contract was a no-brainer but I'm surprised he didn't receive more than 33% of the votes.
- 80% of agents do not believe we'll see a lockout in 2022 which is a big positive.
- Dealing with parents of players is the second-worst part of the job.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to united For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 10:38 PM   #2
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seabrook 35yrs old, 4 more yrs at 6.875M
Lucic 31yrs old, 3 more yrs at 5.25M

I'd rather not have either contract but if I had to choose I'd keep Lucic.
I think I'd rather deal with Lucic's contract than Skinner for 7 more years at 9M
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:18 PM   #3
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

In a world where Milan Lucic and Justin Abdelkader both exist you couldn't tell me the latter doesn't have a worse contract.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 01:14 AM   #4
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's funny how hockey parents are annoying even at the highest level.
I wonder if GMs get annoyed by parents as well.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 02:53 PM   #5
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
It's funny how hockey parents are annoying even at the highest level.
I wonder if GMs get annoyed by parents as well.
I think they had to ban Paul Marner from The Maple Leafs arena.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 04:50 PM   #6
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
Seabrook 35yrs old, 4 more yrs at 6.875M
Lucic 31yrs old, 3 more yrs at 5.25M

I'd rather not have either contract but if I had to choose I'd keep Lucic.
I think I'd rather deal with Lucic's contract than Skinner for 7 more years at 9M

I get the Milan Lucic contract is terrible debate, its not a good contract by any stretch.

But at the end of the day, there were underlyings that made him a effective add on to the lineup.

In his last 20 games he scored 4 goals and 6 assists which is a 16 goal and 40 point clip. He was a -5 which isn't good at all over a 80 game pace. But iirc correctly he was pretty much a bottom 6 guy, and I could love with a 40 point guy in the bottom 6. I also think he was viewed pretty positively in the room. He threw 69 hits in his last 20 games. There was also a definately reduction in other teams taking liberties with the Flames last year.

His contract isn't great, but I would certainly take him over Neal who basically scored 4 goals in his last 20 but 3 were in one game. 5 assists in his last 20, was a awe inspiring -20 over the whole year, was pretty much a disaster at 5v5 hockey who couldn't really be counted on except on the power play.

He was awful and lazy for the Flames and wasn't exactly motivated in Edmonton.

Barker has an atrocious contract that is going to go on longer and will probably see less icetime.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2020, 09:43 PM   #7
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
In a world where Milan Lucic and Justin Abdelkader both exist you couldn't tell me the latter doesn't have a worse contract.
Would have to expand here. Having no NMC makes Abdelkaders contract better, amongst other things.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2020, 09:44 PM   #8
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I'm sorry if you're being paid almost $5 million for three more years to score 0 goals and 3 points in a season that contract becomes a NMC unto itself.

Old 05-23-2020, 09:46 PM   #9
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm sorry if you're being paid almost $5 million for three more years to score 0 goals and 3 points in a season that contract becomes a NMC unto itself.
4.25. Can be sent to minors. Bought out without much issues. On a team that isn’t close to competing. Etc.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:49 PM   #10
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
4.25. Can be sent to minors. Bought out without much issues. On a team that isn’t close to competing. Etc.
Ok but with Lucic we're not even talking about a buyout or an assignment right now. Abdelkader is considerably worse to the point where Detroit might be the only team where he'd be in the lineup. He's being paid $1 million less than Lucic for the same amount of time and is already where people are projecting Lucic to be when his contract expires.

Old 05-23-2020, 09:58 PM   #11
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ok but with Lucic we're not even talking about a buyout or an assignment right now. Abdelkader is considerably worse to the point where Detroit might be the only team where he'd be in the lineup. He's being paid $1 million less than Lucic for the same amount of time and is already where people are projecting Lucic to be when his contract expires.
And yet no one talks about his contract.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:04 PM   #12
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
And yet no one talks about his contract.
That's a bad argument because Lucic has become a meme at this point. Very few people talk about Vlasic or Seabrook either but they both have worse contracts than Lucic too. Abdelkader plays for Detroit so nobody cares.

Old 05-23-2020, 10:06 PM   #13
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's a bad argument because Lucic has become a meme at this point. Very few people talk about Vlasic or Seabrook either but they both have worse contracts than Lucic too. Abdelkader plays for Detroit so nobody cares.
Your last sentence proves the point. Contracts are relative. His contract is bad on a lot of teams but where it is now it doesn’t Matter.

And people talk about Vlasic and Seabeook all the time. I’d have time for that discussion in regards to them vs Lucic.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:02 PM   #14
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ok but with Lucic we're not even talking about a buyout or an assignment right now.
Lucic would be bought out immediately if his contract allowed for it. It does not.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:09 PM   #15
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Lucic would be bought out immediately if his contract allowed for it. It does not.
I mean his contract does allow for it. NMCs don't prevent buyouts; Lucic could be bought out this summer with relative ease. His cap hit would go down marginally for the first three years of the buyout and then be largely non-existent for the final three years. That said, a buyout would be a largely pointless exercise — I think I'd rather pay $5.25 for three years for Lucic to play in Calgary than $4.8, $3.5, $4.5, $437k, $437k, and $437k for him not to.

That said, Lucic is a positive contributor on the Flames; Abdelkader is a resoundingly negative contributor on the Red Wings. There are a number of contracts in the league that are buyout candidates; Lucic's is one of them, certainly, but it is far from being the most egregious.

Old 05-23-2020, 11:20 PM   #16
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lucic was on his way to changing that narrative as he was getting better as the season wore on. No way Seabrook is a better deal with more term and a higher cap hit.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:51 PM   #17
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Trying to justify Lucic because others in the league may have worse deals. Mental gymnastics at their best.

The guy is an anchor and no longer does the one thing he used to do effectively. His worth to the team is almost zero yet he gets paid as a top 6 guy.

When he failed to step up against the Oilers (when everyone and their dog knew what was coming), was the exact moment any usefulness he may have had was gone,

Its the worst contract this team has ever owned IIRC, it will linger on for at least 3 more seasons which cripples them from using that money elsewhere to help, and there is no buy out scenario that helps the club vs having him take a shift on the 4th line. One of the worst trades in this franchises history.
Old 05-24-2020, 12:11 AM   #18
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Ever?

Brouwer's deal was much worse if you ask me.

Old 05-24-2020, 12:13 AM   #19
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lets not forget this is his entire contract we are talking about...not just the amount Calgary is paying
Old 05-24-2020, 12:18 AM   #20
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Oh I was talking about the contract just from Calgary's perspective: 4 years x $5.25 million.

If we're going by 7 x $6 it's definitely much worse. But if we're going by entire contracts I'd posit that Jonathan Ericsson's 6 x $4.25 million deal should be near the top of the list. Or David Backes' 5 x $6.