Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2020, 02:19 PM   #41
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
[LIST=1][*]I think it should be the same as ELCs, up to 10% of the contract's total value in any season can be given as a signing bonus. It's a bonus and that's how it should be structured.
This still seems really high to me... it should be more like 30% of the salary earned in that year is the maximum size of your bonus.
Quote:
[*]I'd rather they just make the value of the contract in any season be the cap hit for that season. Let players and teams structure the deal however they see fit otherwise.
This is going to make capologisits the most important executive position in the NHL. I'm not against it, it does incentivize frontloading contracts somewhat, which players might like, and I suspect shorter contracts. It's just going to be insanely complicated to manage a cap structure.

Quote:
[*]I don't think there's anything wrong with the 7/8 year limit. As it stands, only a small percentage of players get deals longer than 5 years anyway and they tend to be the star players. If a player and team are willing to commit for that long, they should be able to.
Well, that was the same argument against putting limits on contracts to begin with. I'd be okay if they had a system where you have one guy you can sign for 8 years, like a franchise tag, and everyone else is 5 or less.

Quote:
[*]I have no problem with the NTC/NMC rules as they stand. Again, they're freely negotiated and a good GM will negotiate a lower contract value in exchange for the NTC/NMC.
The waiver rules don't make much sense, but those are all anti-player... one option would be if you want to override a no trade clause you have to pay the player an extra X$, or something.
[*]Making the numbers easier to understand would be good. They need to make sure that LTIR players still count against the players' share though.[/quote]
Yep. That's the only issue I have with that too.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote