Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2020, 09:17 AM   #121
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

There is no “issue” here, and secondly no one is entitled to a job. The player just did not perform up to the standards required. Standards go beyond “on ice” requirements similar to the way a math teacher’s requirements would go beyond just teaching math.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 09:21 AM   #122
Pointman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't know about Canadian laws. But in Russia and I assume in many first world countries forensic evidence that was acquired unlawfully is discarded and not considered in the court. And this is what I understand as one of the fundamentals of liberty and human rights. This case, although not a criminal case, seems similar to me. Evidence of Leipsnic being a bad person should be discarded and the outrage should be on those, who published his private messages. Leispnic is basically getting morally lynched and lynching has to stop even if this particular guy may well be deserving it.

P.S. I do have a daughter. I hardly ever used Russian equivalent of "gal", let alone harsher descriptions of women.
Pointman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 09:27 AM   #123
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointman View Post
This case, although not a criminal case, seems similar to me.
Nope, it's not. And it is completely ass backwards to try and equate the court of public opinion to a court of law. You can't just pretend Leipsic is not a bad person any more. That's basically just an attempt to bottle up a fart. It's not possible.

Leipsic did what he did and said what he said. He has no right to protection from social consequences to his own actions.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 09:28 AM   #124
Matt Reeeeead
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know about Canadian laws. But in Russia and I assume in many first world countries forensic evidence that was acquired unlawfully is discarded and not considered in the court. And this is what I understand as one of the fundamentals of liberty and human rights. This case, although not a criminal case, seems similar to me. Evidence of Leipsnic being a bad person should be discarded and the outrage should be on those, who published his private messages. Leispnic is basically getting morally lynched and lynching has to stop even if this particular guy may well be deserving it.

P.S. I do have a daughter. I hardly ever used Russian equivalent of "gal", let alone harsher descriptions of women.
Ya, but this isnt a courhouse. Nobody is putting him in jail, or even tearing up his contract. They are still fulfilling the financial obligation of the contract.

The things we say behind people's back changes the perception people have with us, and the Capitals are under no obligation to keep him on their roster, or keep a toxic personality in their locker room.
Matt Reeeeead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 10:42 AM   #125
ToraToraTora
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Nah, in a civil context courts generally aren't too fussed about how evidence gets before them.
ToraToraTora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 11:38 AM   #126
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sempuki View Post
You're not a jerk, that was just an unfortunate circumstance. She could have just told him what you said -- there's nothing new here. I failed to see how what happened to you applies here.
It's similar in the sense that it was a private conversation and it ended up hurting a lot of people in the wake.

People say stuff all the time about other people in private and it isn't necessarily how they treat people in person. Some people are all talk.

The Leipsic case is extraordinary and no one is doubting that he probably deserves the outcome. But it isn't just him getting hurt from this.

In principle, I just don't think it is heroic to be a snitch in most cases. Displaying someone's private chat is just like reading their emails and going through their trash. It's an invasion of privacy that should be left to law enforcement when investigating crimes.

I think there should be laws against personally. Unless you were part of the conversation, no 3rd party should be allowed to do it. It's like recording a conversation, if you are part of it, then it is allowed. But taking a recording of conversation not meant for the ones involved, is illegal unless there is a warrant.
Old 05-11-2020, 03:26 PM   #127
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know about Canadian laws. But in Russia and I assume in many first world countries forensic evidence that was acquired unlawfully is discarded and not considered in the court.
Considering the Rule of Law in Russia is basically a sham, where “show me the man and I’ll find you the crime.” is a phrase known by every adult, this response is doubly inapplicable.

In Canada, people choose how to spend money not just according to what the product is, not also how the product is made. This is a choice allowed by capitalism. Leipsic made his services worth less money, and he got fired for it. The idea he's being "lynched" is absurd and insulting to the black people that were actually murdered in lynchings.

Get a grip.
sempuki is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sempuki For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2020, 04:11 PM   #128
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sempuki View Post
Sounds like you are having a reckoning with yourself in public here. Almost everything you said is strawman.

Perhaps you should calm down, step away from the keyboard, and think to yourself if the person you are in private is so embarrassing to the person you are in public, perhaps you might want to make the person in private a better human being.

That you had your privacy violated when people discovered you are an #######, doesn't really change the fact people now know you are an #######. Actions have consequences. The only true defence against being found out is stop doing it.

Completely agree. There's an old saying, "don't want people to know? Don't do it!"
Old 05-11-2020, 04:23 PM   #129
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It's the court of public opinion. As an employer, it's pretty easy to cut ties with someone you deem doesn't represent your company's values. Sure, how the employer found out is due to someone violating the player's personal info. But it wasn't the NHL or the Caps that did that, so they have no responsibility on how the info was obtained. What they do know for sure is the player admitted to being the one who posted those messages.

So fairly or unfairly, the company and the public all know he said those things. So it's a pretty easy decision to just let the RFA walk for free, and not have to deal with any sort of blow back from the other players on the team, nor the public.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote