Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2020, 09:52 AM   #1
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:
Default 34 years ago tonight

Hahaha!!!

https://twitter.com/user/status/1255884832812314624
Old 04-30-2020, 10:12 AM   #2
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

E=ng
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 10:17 AM   #3
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

one of three 'key' Flames historic goals I did not see in real time

the others I have mentioned randomly in the last few days (Lanny game 6 OT 1984- on holidays no access to TV (or a score for 2 days) and Otto game 7 OT 1989- watched all of regulation, stormed out of OT in disgust and pacing the streets- eventually popped into a bar and saw the Flames celebrating)

this one, was in Vancouver preparing for Expo86 opening (which occurred 2 days later) and was in BC place while the game was on... we were tipped off to a possible outcome as we were leaving the building and so popped into some sort of restaurant / lounge to see the highlights to confirm the unbelievable... now this game I was taping (on my betamax) and have subsequently seen many times
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2020, 10:41 AM   #4
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

It was, for me, the most "stunning" thing I had experienced in hockey to that point.

The way it came out of no where. Then Vernie doing his thing the rest of the way. A really late too many men penalty that i was sure was going to lead to the tying goal.

Steve Bozek stands out for me that night too.

It was the first time getting over the hump that the Oilers machine had been til that point.

Great memories.
Old 04-30-2020, 12:34 PM   #5
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Happy birthday Steve Smith!
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to albertGQ For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2020, 02:48 PM   #6
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe it was TSN that rated that as the #1 hockey moment in the 80s, wish I was old enough to have seen that live!
Sainters7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 02:58 PM   #7
IslandFlamesFan
Draft Pick

John Cougar Mellencamp was playing at the Saddledome on the same night (Scarecrow Tour) and as the game was in Edmonton, it was showing on the TVs in the concourse. We were trying very, very hard not to hear about the results of the game while we at the concert.
IslandFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 03:41 PM   #8
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Felt bad for Smith after that goal. Fans in the Dome would yell "Shoot" every time he touched the puck.
Old 04-30-2020, 03:51 PM   #9
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:
Icon59 <------ and still NO GOOD!

It happened in a split-second and just out of camera range. My first reaction was that Lanny scored it.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 04:02 PM   #10
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still wonder why there was such a long delay after the goal. The commentators thought that ref Bryan Lewis was unable to continue because of an injury.

He left the ice for a while, then returned to finish the game. I think he went to the room to try to figure out what the heck happened. The goal was originally credited to Lanny McDonald, but was quickly changed to Berezan, which makes me think he had a look on the monitor which seemed extremely odd at the time.

When you watch the aftermath of the goal, you can see an official talking and explaining something to Jim Peplinski, who seems to question the reason for the delay.

Pepper usually walks past our seats to visit some folks in the accessible section, and I've always meant to ask him about this.
The Following User Says Thank You to JBR For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2020, 04:19 PM   #11
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
It was, for me, the most "stunning" thing I had experienced in hockey to that point.

The way it came out of no where. Then Vernie doing his thing the rest of the way. A really late too many men penalty that i was sure was going to lead to the tying goal.

It was the first time getting over the hump that the Oilers machine had been til that point.

Great memories.
Bozek was literally grabbing two Oilers and hauling them down (away from the puck) with no call. Reffing was different back then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Felt bad for Smith after that goal. Fans in the Dome would yell "Shoot" every time he touched the puck.
I gained a lot of respect for Smith when, one night when they did it, he softly flipped the puck at his goalie who caught it (obviously preplanned). The crowd clapped for him.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 04:40 PM   #12
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
As a young Flames fan at the time, this tradition was great...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2020, 04:48 PM   #13
pope04
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Bozek was literally grabbing two Oilers and hauling them down (away from the puck) with no call. Reffing was different back then.
It certainly went both ways. There was a play after the Berezan goal where Fuhr made a great save on Loob right on the goal line. The puck squirted over to Bozek on his backhand and an Oiler just pounced on him. Bearhug and dragged him to the ice.
pope04 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pope04 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2020, 04:54 PM   #14
pope04
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I watched this game on the condensed "NHL Classics" just a couple weeks ago: He was buzzing out there. I was a bit puzzled when I went to hockeydb after and checked out his stats.....he averaged only about 15 goals or so a season with the Flames. Mind you, looked like he only played 50-60 games a season.
pope04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 06:40 PM   #15
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBR View Post
I still wonder why there was such a long delay after the goal. The commentators thought that ref Bryan Lewis was unable to continue because of an injury.

He left the ice for a while, then returned to finish the game. I think he went to the room to try to figure out what the heck happened. The goal was originally credited to Lanny McDonald, but was quickly changed to Berezan, which makes me think he had a look on the monitor which seemed extremely odd at the time.

When you watch the aftermath of the goal, you can see an official talking and explaining something to Jim Peplinski, who seems to question the reason for the delay.

Pepper usually walks past our seats to visit some folks in the accessible section, and I've always meant to ask him about this.
Oddly enough in advance of the best ever #33 poll I was poking around last week trying to look up the Carey Wilson spleen incident.
This thread from 2010 of this glorious moment was at the top of the search.

Bryan Lewis emailed one of our posters about the game. It was his last ever as he already had a bad knee and had injured it just before this. He finished the game but flew home right away after which really caused more damage.

Here is the link to the thread. Poster named Ray unearths it in post 16

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=93305

Last edited by Sylvanfan; 04-30-2020 at 06:45 PM.
Sylvanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2020, 07:53 PM   #16
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think I said it here, the most gut wrenching time of my young life, having just turned 10, was watching those last 12 minutes after the bonus Smith goal.

That was capped off by the last 1:20. Tonelli losing his stick with him staring at an empty net. Puck goes the other way, Gretzky from his knees finds an open Anderson. Flames then get a too many men penalty with 35s to go. From that, a wide open Kurri for some reason tries a pass. And with 8 seconds,McInnis gives it away to Gretzky, and a diving Patterson prevents his pass from going in front of the net to two open Oilers.

I remember thousands of people at the airport after this game later that night to greet them. I think there were a couple thousand to send them off to Edmonton after Game 6.

What a great call from Don Whitman, and though this is off topic we were so lucky to have him for all the series from the early 80s at the way through to 2006. His comments throughout the game, coining the Sea of Red phrase after Game 2. His signoff after this series was fantastic too.

Here is the whole game. Worth watching the end, to the very end and Whitman's comments, starting at 1:47:40.

browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2020, 08:38 PM   #17
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
Oddly enough in advance of the best ever #33 poll I was poking around last week trying to look up the Carey Wilson spleen incident.
This thread from 2010 of this glorious moment was at the top of the search.

Bryan Lewis emailed one of our posters about the game. It was his last ever as he already had a bad knee and had injured it just before this. He finished the game but flew home right away after which really caused more damage.

Here is the link to the thread. Poster named Ray unearths it in post 16

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=93305
Fantastic! Thank you.
Old 04-30-2020, 11:31 PM   #18
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandFlamesFan View Post
John Cougar Mellencamp was playing at the Saddledome on the same night (Scarecrow Tour) and as the game was in Edmonton, it was showing on the TVs in the concourse. We were trying very, very hard not to hear about the results of the game while we at the concert.

That was a great $$$$$$$ concert.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 05:56 AM   #19
Rtown
Backup Goalie

Exp:

That night changed my life forever.
Like many kids growing up in the early 80’s I was an Oiler fan. I can remember that night very clearly. The Smith goal, the end of the game, and the Oilers going home. My 8 year old self was crying and I remember my Grandma trying to console me “they’ll get ‘em next time she said”
“No, no, I cried, there is no next time” turns out Grandma didn’t know much about playoff hockey.
Turns out I was right, there was no next time. That was the last time I cheered for the Oilers. Once the Flames met the Habs in the finals, there was no way I could cheer for them. My Mother was a Habs fan and I hated the Habs.
I started cheering for the Flames that series and have been a Flames fan ever since.
So thanks Steve, cuz without that goal I might still be (shudder) an Oilers fan.
Rtown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rtown For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2020, 06:39 AM   #20
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was the greatest thing any oiler has ever done. Ever.