Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2020, 12:28 AM   #101
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
As I understand it (and to be clear, my understanding is not strong), while it is theoretically possible to travel forward in time, any thought of traveling backward is a pipe-dream. "The past" does not exist except in our individual and collective memories.

I was watching something recently in which the idea of light speed travel was explored, and it was thought that navigation would be essentially impossible, since it would require creating an indestructible field around the travelling object in order to move it safely through time space. The problem with this is that the indestructible bubble would then destroy all matter in its path on its way to its destination.
but matter cannot be created or destroyed.....
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 12:29 AM   #102
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
The wildest part of this whole story is that nobody gives a #### right now.
if you don't care, then #### off?
Old 05-01-2020, 12:40 AM   #103
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Preach on, Brother Neil.

appreciate you posting the video and it is entertaining...

but it's also a huge copout. The question that initates this sequence is a college level student asking essentially (paraphrasing) "what's your opinion on UFO's / aliens?"

And then Tyson because of his universe sized ego goes on this tirade. Now, it's funny. And he's funny. I don't deny that. But not only did he not really answer the question (political stance, not scientific (or honest...) which Mr. Rapey would seemingly be backwards compatible with), he took the absolute most elementary basic way out.

If I went to my 3 year old child and said, "what's your opinion on UFO's or aliens?" she would scratch my arms, screech, laugh in my face, fight with her brother/sister, or conduct other arguably more severe behaviour warranted for repercussion. But that's because I'm almost certain she's a sociopath. And yet here is one of the world's most egotistical rapey scientists doing just that.

The college student asking the question didn't ask "hey I want to hear you take the easy road out and tell us a 10 minute story about how you don't know things", he said, "what's your opinion on..."

and Rapey failed. Miserably. He was funny, but he failed. Rapey said, "we don't know things"... which is always the epitaph of science, but not a "real" answer to the question. Political answer. This guy is not a scientist, he let fame overcome him.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2020, 01:13 AM   #104
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

And the CP word of the day goes to: Rapey.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 07:41 AM   #105
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
appreciate you posting the video and it is entertaining...

but it's also a huge copout. The question that initates this sequence is a college level student asking essentially (paraphrasing) "what's your opinion on UFO's / aliens?"

And then Tyson because of his universe sized ego goes on this tirade. Now, it's funny. And he's funny. I don't deny that. But not only did he not really answer the question (political stance, not scientific (or honest...) which Mr. Rapey would seemingly be backwards compatible with), he took the absolute most elementary basic way out.

If I went to my 3 year old child and said, "what's your opinion on UFO's or aliens?" she would scratch my arms, screech, laugh in my face, fight with her brother/sister, or conduct other arguably more severe behaviour warranted for repercussion. But that's because I'm almost certain she's a sociopath. And yet here is one of the world's most egotistical rapey scientists doing just that.

The college student asking the question didn't ask "hey I want to hear you take the easy road out and tell us a 10 minute story about how you don't know things", he said, "what's your opinion on..."

and Rapey failed. Miserably. He was funny, but he failed. Rapey said, "we don't know things"... which is always the epitaph of science, but not a "real" answer to the question. Political answer. This guy is not a scientist, he let fame overcome him.
What would you have him say? What would the “honest” answer be? He’s on that stage speaking as a scientist and an entertainer. The scientific stance is that there’s no proof of extraterrestrial visitors and in order to entertain he put it in words that would do so.

No doubt the man has an irrepressible ego, which makes me think less of him, and he’s likely a creep, or “rapey”, which makes me think even less of him. But those qualities of his personality aren’t relevant here because I think he gives a good answer. Your ad hominem attacks, true or not, don’t change that.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 07:52 AM   #106
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
but matter cannot be created or destroyed.....
It's energy that can't be created or destroyed, matter can be created from or converted into energy.
Old 05-01-2020, 08:33 AM   #107
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
What would you have him say? What would the “honest” answer be? He’s on that stage speaking as a scientist and an entertainer. The scientific stance is that there’s no proof of extraterrestrial visitors and in order to entertain he put it in words that would do so.

No doubt the man has an irrepressible ego, which makes me think less of him, and he’s likely a creep, or “rapey”, which makes me think even less of him. But those qualities of his personality aren’t relevant here because I think he gives a good answer. Your ad hominem attacks, true or not, don’t change that.
I would have him give just an honest opinion. Not that hard. Does he actually believe they exist or not?
Old 05-01-2020, 08:37 AM   #108
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
It's energy that can't be created or destroyed, matter can be created from or converted into energy.
I was under the impression it was matter due to the Law of Conservation of Mass. I might not be remembering correctly?

I thought the law was that all mass and energy need to remain constant overall and therefore matter can not be created or destroyed.
Old 05-01-2020, 08:43 AM   #109
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
I would have him give just an honest opinion. Not that hard. Does he actually believe they exist or not?
He does give his opinion. His opinion is based on science. Science says there’s no proof they exist. He says all this in his answer.
Old 05-01-2020, 09:00 AM   #110
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Not really. If you think that counts as an opinion... okay I guess? Personally I’m not sure if “I don’t know” was what the student was really getting at with the question. We know he doesn’t know. It’s a hypothetical.

He could have answered in 3 seconds, “I don’t know, and I don’t play hypotheticals”. The end.
Old 05-01-2020, 09:10 AM   #111
photon

Exp:

Quote:
I was under the impression it was matter due to the Law of Conservation of Mass. I might not be remembering correctly?

I thought the law was that all mass and energy need to remain constant overall and therefore matter can not be created or destroyed.
Mass and energy are conserved yes, but matter itself isn't (i.e. if you annihilate matter and antimatter you'll end up with just energy, no matter)

You're right, mass and energy being conserved is a more accurate way of saying it than what I said.
Old 05-01-2020, 09:12 AM   #112
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Opinions don’t have to be based on facts but he’s a scientist so it’s not surprising that his are. I consider that valid.

He could’ve given a three word answer but that’s not what the people there were there to hear.
Old 05-01-2020, 09:17 AM   #113
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

The specific question posed to Neil was "do I believe in UFOs or extra-terrestial visitors"?

He says basically if something is "unidentified" you can't make any conclusions about it. I infer he believes that the probability of alien life in the universe is high, and the probability that we are being visited is low.

Regarding his misconduct:
https://www.vox.com/2019/7/29/893484...igation-museum

I was a bit surprised he was brought back for Cosmos.

Last edited by troutman; 05-01-2020 at 09:52 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2020, 09:45 AM   #114
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

On this board we respect the laws of thermodynamics.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 10:08 AM   #115
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
if you don't care, then #### off?
I was referring to the apparent newsworthiness of the Pentagon releasing what they call UFO footage.

Three months ago this news would have been on the front page of every newspaper from here to Arrakis. Because this came out now, the coverage has been limited to 50-words next to the obituaries on page 30-something.

That's pretty wild in my mind.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2020, 11:14 AM   #116
photon

Exp:

Thanked for Dune reference.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2020, 11:33 AM   #117
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
I was referring to the apparent newsworthiness of the Pentagon releasing what they call UFO footage.

Three months ago this news would have been on the front page of every newspaper from here to Arrakis. Because this came out now, the coverage has been limited to 50-words next to the obituaries on page 30-something.

That's pretty wild in my mind.
Ah! My mistake.
Old 05-01-2020, 12:32 PM   #118
Alpha_Q
Scoring Winger

Exp:

What I find fascinating in all this isn't what's on the video, and it's not the pilots' and radar operators' descriptions of what they witnessed. It's that these videos - which have been in the public domain for years, if not a decade plus - were acknowledged. Acknowledged by both the US Navy last year and now the Pentagon. Why?

These videos, like other photos and recordings and testimonials from former pilots and former 'Area 51' employees etc., could simply have been lumped with the rest of the UFO pap that's been generated since the 50s. Or, since these are military pilots and might not qualify as 'pap,' they could have simply been ignored by the navy/pentagon or they themselves could have said 'balloon' or come up with a better, more plausible solution.

Either the Pentagon is genuinely concerned about what military pilots are witnessing and wants layman eyes on it, which sounds very un-Pentagon-like to me (Would the Pentagon formerly announce it's inability to grasp what could be superior Terran technology?) or...

I get the sense we're being prepared for some kind of future announcement of the discovery of intelligent extra-terrestrial life. Maybe in 10 years, maybe fewer, maybe more, but I wouldn't be surprised to see in the coming years a few more videos such as these getting leaked and classified as UAP. I then wouldn't be surprised if the announcement involved an artifact of alien origin, because I also don't believe that they would travel here in person. Maybe we already have a chunk of some other civilization's Voyager.
Alpha_Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 01:57 PM   #119
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha_Q View Post
I get the sense we're being prepared for some kind of future announcement of the discovery of intelligent extra-terrestrial life. Maybe in 10 years, maybe fewer, maybe more, but I wouldn't be surprised to see in the coming years a few more videos such as these getting leaked and classified as UAP.
That would be earth-shaking, but I think very unlikely. There would have to be so many people involved keeping this a secret, and we know from mathematical studies that large conspiracies are doomed to collapse. That big a secret with many actors involved, could not stay secret for very long.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 02:00 PM   #120
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
That would be earth-shaking, but I think very unlikely. There would have to be so many people involved keeping this a secret, and we know from mathematical studies that large conspiracies are doomed to collapse. That big a secret with many actors involved, could not stay secret for very long.
Yeah, I think the DoD released the video to justify the $22 million receipt for the program more than anything after it became public knowledge.