Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2020, 11:50 AM   #201
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
For me Lafreniere is the clear #1. Who goes #2 is the more intriguing question between Byfield and Stutzle. Stutzle has been the rocket up the rankings this season, and seems more dynamic.
But the appeal of Byfield is the physical attributes - including the combination of skill, size and skating. And the fact that he is one of the youngest members of the draft (Lafreniere is one of the oldest, I think miss the draft cut off by mere days).

At that age, that's a big difference.

I've had Byfield #2 all season, but it's hard not to pay attention to Stutzle as someone that could displace him.
Stutzel is a hard one for me. He played against Men this year and looked dominant at times, but not at the level of Draisaitl in the same league. It will be interesting to see what his development path looks like- is he ready for the NHL next season? I am not sure about that.

Edit: I went back to look at this comparison again and noted that I have been reading Draisaitl's last season as being in the DEL when it wasn't. It is hard to compare the two players season by season as Draisaitl ended up coming to the WHL instead of playing in the DEL.

Last edited by Monahammer; 06-23-2020 at 12:06 PM.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 12:23 PM   #202
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
For me Lafreniere is the clear #1. Who goes #2 is the more intriguing question between Byfield and Stutzle. Stutzle has been the rocket up the rankings this season, and seems more dynamic.
But the appeal of Byfield is the physical attributes - including the combination of skill, size and skating. And the fact that he is one of the youngest members of the draft (Lafreniere is one of the oldest, I think miss the draft cut off by mere days).

I've had Byfield #2 all season, but it's hard not to pay attention to Stutzle as someone that could displace him.
I have to think Byfield would be ranked higher by most teams as he ticks all the boxes. Sometimes the big risers don't pan out as Jonathan Druin was actually ranked ahead of MacKinnon by some scouting boards in 2013 which was as stupid then as it is now as in a redraft he's probably picked behind Monahan, Lindholm and a bunch of other players that were selected after him.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 12:49 PM   #203
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Agreed.
I think it depends whos drafting #2.
I'm big on Stutzle but I think if its Ottawa they go Byfield for the Big C.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 04:03 PM   #204
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

From Chris Johnson interview :

Oct 5th - last possible day for Game 7 Finals
October 31st - end of player contracts
November 1st - free agency

puts the draft likely on October 16th or 23rd. (assuming the season happens)
Old 06-23-2020, 05:12 PM   #205
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigErnSalute_16 View Post
While I know it is a 99.9% chance that Lafreniere goes first to whoever wins the lottery, I brought it up with my buddies the other day that i can't shake the feeling that in 3-5 years Byfield will be more valuable than him. 6'5 215 already but has success due to skill not due to size which is important. Plays a far more valuable position and is almost a full year younger than Lafreniere. He put up nearly 2ppg this year vs Lafreniere's well over 2ppg but who's to say next season he wouldn't put up the same points as Laf at the same age?

If I was on the clock it wouldn't be an automatic Lafreniere pick, at least.
I'm of the mind that if Byfield got picked first, I certainly would not blame the team who took him there. If the Flames were in that position, I confess that I would hope for Byfield-how many times in our history have we had a true, prototypical #1 center with size, speed,and playmaking talent? This kid is one of the younger players in the draft, and still put up 1.82ppg-how many players in the last decade put up numbers like that in thier draft year?Laf is still the concensus #1, but what a great top-3.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 11:04 AM   #206
BigErnSalute_16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
I'm of the mind that if Byfield got picked first, I certainly would not blame the team who took him there. If the Flames were in that position, I confess that I would hope for Byfield-how many times in our history have we had a true, prototypical #1 center with size, speed,and playmaking talent? This kid is one of the younger players in the draft, and still put up 1.82ppg-how many players in the last decade put up numbers like that in thier draft year?Laf is still the concensus #1, but what a great top-3.
Exactly. I have to admit that my thinking on this has been greatly affected by my Flames bias and witnessing what we've been able to do over the last 20 years with our best player being a winger. If I was drafting I don't know if I'd want to go through that again
BigErnSalute_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 01:17 PM   #207
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

The more I look into Rodion Amirov, the more I like him. So dynamic. On top of being a great 200ft player.

Today I think preference goes like this:
1.Quinn
2. Jarvis
3. Amirov

Those guys are all legit.

And I have unicorn dreams of an all rooskie Flames line of Little Z- Nikolaev- Amirov.

Thats pretty much a Gaudreau-Backlund-Lindholm
Line.

EDIT: and Nikolaev and Amirov played together like almost all the time.for team Russia, so super easy for them.to.work together.

Last edited by dammage79; 06-26-2020 at 01:52 PM.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2020, 02:51 PM   #208
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
This draft has a bit of a Taylor/Tyler feel when it comes to Lafreniere/Byfield

On the one hand you have an absolute dominant winger who is on the older side of the draft class so more mature vs the center who I believe is 10 months younger.

Lafreniere seems like the slam dunk choice since he is back to back CHL player of the year. Button said he thinks he comes in and scores 60pts next season on whoever drafts him.

Long term though Byfield could easily be the best player but you might have to send him back for another year of junior and wait a little while for him to reach his potential but top end number 1C is always better than a top end winger.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2020, 03:39 PM   #209
FCAV
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Not sure how much interest there is in an eight-player mock draft, but hey, Flames could be first, right?

An interesting curveball in there for sure.

https://futureconsiderations.ca/fcho...ry-mock-draft/
FCAV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 04:02 PM   #210
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCAV View Post
Not sure how much interest there is in an eight-player mock draft, but hey, Flames could be first, right?

An interesting curveball in there for sure.

https://futureconsiderations.ca/fcho...ry-mock-draft/
I'd be choked as a Sens fan if Ottawa took a goalie with their 5th overall pick. Land an elite forward or defenceman and keep building that roster.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 04:27 PM   #211
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
I'd be choked as a Sens fan if Ottawa took a goalie with their 5th overall pick. Land an elite forward or defenceman and keep building that roster.
Agreed.

Don’t think they pick Askarov unless he’s there wherever the Isles’ pick lands.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 06:31 PM   #212
FCAV
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Agreed.

Don’t think they pick Askarov unless he’s there wherever the Isles’ pick lands.
This actually came out, I believe, the day we did our mock.

Quote:
13. More post-lottery stuff. Good questions from the audience during our live #Ask31 with Ottawa GM Pierre Dorion. Would he consider trading down from three and/or five?

“It would be very difficult to do something like that,” he answered. “It would have to be a special player coming our way.”

He did add that a GM listens to everything, and didn’t pooh-pooh Jeff Marek’s query about drafting a goalie in a high spot. One viewer asked if he would offer three and five for No. 1, to which Dorion smiled and said: “No comment.”
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...tery/?shawct=1
Old 07-26-2020, 10:09 AM   #213
FCAV
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Understandable that it's not top of mind given what's around the corner, but we at FCHockey have launched a brand new site for your draft enjoyment.

Lots to play around with. Most free, some subscription-based. Some scouting reports unlocked on the main page, too!

Reports Database: https://nhlentrydraft.com/reports/
Mock Draft Sim: https://nhlentrydraft.com/mock-draft/
Rankings Build: https://nhlentrydraft.com/rankings-builder/
News: https://nhlentrydraft.com/news/
Podcast: https://nhlentrydraft.com/podcast/
Video: https://nhlentrydraft.com/video/
Stats: https://nhlentrydraft.com/stats/

Enjoy!
Old 07-26-2020, 10:37 AM   #214
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did the mock draft. It went like this for the Flames:
R1. Seth Jarvis C/RW
R2. Maxim Groshev RW
R4. Juho Markkanen G
R5. Igor Chbrikov LHD
R6. Ville Ottovainen RHD
R7. Kasper Puutio RHD
Old 07-26-2020, 10:58 AM   #215
RedHawk12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My mock went like this:
R1. Seth Jarvis
R2. Justin Barron
R4. Daemon Hunt
R5. James Hardie
R6. Amir Miftakov
R7. Kasper Puutio
RedHawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 11:39 AM   #216
Tilley
Retired Aksarben Correspondent

Exp:

Couldn’t help myself and ran the mock as well. Here is what the Flames drafted in this mock:
R1: Jack Quinn RW
R2: Ridly Greig C
R4: Jack Finley C
R5: Zayde Wisdom RW
R6: Mitchell Miller D
R7: Wyatt Kaiser D
Tilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 07:43 PM   #217
jaymac106
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

R1 Rodion Amirov LW KHL
R2 Jean Luc Foudy C Windsor
R4 Brett Berard LW NTDP
R5 Louis Crevier D Chicoutimi 6'7
R6 Adam Raska RW Rimouski ( steal this late)
R7 Charlie Desroches D Saint John
jaymac106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 11:28 PM   #218
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

R1. Jack Quinn-I think we all know him.
R2. Sam Colangelo-6'2"RW, very fast, nice numbers in USHL
R4. C Jack Finley-6'6"
R5. LW James Hardie-High IQ, good shot, needs work on D
R6. D Marc-Antoine Pepin-6'3"19YO, still raw but skates well, good offence
R7. C Josh Pillar-good defensive presence, high IQ, good skater, room to grow offensively.

*Should've taken at least one more defenseman.

Last edited by Sandman; 07-26-2020 at 11:32 PM.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 01:12 PM   #219
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

This might be my favorite Mock I've done with the mock draft tool on FC:

1. Jack Quinn RHS/RW
2. Vasily Ponomarev LHC
4. Victor Mancini RHD
5. Ethan Bowen LHC
6. Igor Chibrikov LHD
7. Ville Ottavainen RHD

For me the steals would be 4 players: Quinn at 16. Ponomarev at 47, Mancini in the 100s and Chibrikov in round 6. I've got a hunch about Chibrikov. 6'7" and fast. Hes a long term development but holy I think hes going to grow into something great of an NHLer.

HM to Ponomarev. Slick slick skater, like Johnny. Has a snipe shot and a brilliant playmaker front what i have seen.
Old 07-31-2020, 02:22 PM   #220
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I worry a bit about Quinn. If he was playing with Rossi all season then I worry that he was more of a beneficiary than the line driver. I'd prefer Jarvis if both of them are still on the board.

Also did my own mock just since the site is amazing, only did 4 rounds though since I was lazy.

R1. Seth Jarvis - High skilled and high energy with top 10 pick talent.
R2. William Villeneuve - Almost a PPG d-man that led his team in scoring in his draft year while also playing top match ups...sign me up.
R4. Brett Berard - Very young for this draft year born Sept. 9 2002 but strong scoring numbers and Flames have had luck with undersized guys in round 4.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 07-31-2020 at 02:37 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:

Tags
edmonton is no good