Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2014, 11:33 PM   #21
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
In BC it is law to have mud and snow or winter tires to drive the roads at this time of year. Honestly I will drive the Coq over the Revestoke to Lake Louise stretch any day. The Coq is a first world highway. Many parts of the Trans Canada are still a national embarrassment.
Some of the Coq even in the summer is bad. Since it was no longer a toll road, sections of it have terrible pot holes and severe damage due to 18 Wheeler s that are over weight and the chains they use. I do this run 30 plus times a year and some of the sections can be bad.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:42 PM   #22
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
Some of the Coq even in the summer is bad. Since it was no longer a toll road, sections of it have terrible pot holes and severe damage due to 18 Wheeler s that are over weight and the chains they use. I do this run 30 plus times a year and some of the sections can be bad.
Removing the tolls was silly. A shameless attempt to buy votes by the BC Liberals. That highway generated enough revenue that they could have a well maintained divided hi way across the province. Granted the Feds would never pay their share.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:36 AM   #23
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Removing the tolls was silly. A shameless attempt to buy votes by the BC Liberals. That highway generated enough revenue that they could have a well maintained divided hi way across the province. Granted the Feds would never pay their share.
As bad as the Coq can get I don't think it was silly. The plan was to have the tolls only until they returned the same in revenue the project cost. They stuck to a plan.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:22 AM   #24
Red John
First Line Centre

Exp:

If you're taking two days, stop in Kelowna? Much more interesting than Salmon Arm. You can stop and go skiing or boarding or something.

Nothing wrong with the Coke but if there's a closure just take the Fraser canyon, it's at a lower elevation and doesn't get as much snow or traffic. You aren't in a hurry anyway.

Still a beautiful drive. Not spectacular like in the summer but still nice. Enjoy it.
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?
Red John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 02:03 AM   #25
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
As bad as the Coq can get I don't think it was silly. The plan was to have the tolls only until they returned the same in revenue the project cost. They stuck to a plan.
What I remember is the Liberals were going to give it to their buddies (some private company) after it was paid for but because of the protests they kept it and removed the tolls.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 02:50 AM   #26
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
What I remember is the Liberals were going to give it to their buddies (some private company) after it was paid for but because of the protests they kept it and removed the tolls.
Ya something like that. Its really ironic actually. If it was still a toll highway the truckers would go the canyon. when they could. In turn the Coq remains in better condition. Now the majority of problem are consistent because of constant use. It's a catch 22. A dammed if you do and dammed if you don't situation.

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 12-30-2014 at 02:52 AM.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:20 AM   #27
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you go via the cow, I hope you avoid meeting any of the boys from Jamie Davis towing.

I drove as far as lake Louise yesterday, and highway 1 was in perfect shape
Old 12-30-2014, 10:00 AM   #28
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
They had just renovated all those tollbooths a few months before closing them as well. Good forward thinking.
darockwilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:54 AM   #29
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

One thing to find out is how much a windshield for the new car is. 25% chance you will get nailed by a stone on the way home. My trip to Kamloops at Christmas resulted in a couple big chips that are not going to be able to be repaired
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2014, 10:54 PM   #30
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just drove from Van to Calgary and the roads were squeaky clean nary a sign of snow. But a trucker died just this Monday night near Golden, so unfortunate. And a bad storm is brewing this weekend so anything could happen.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 11:07 PM   #31
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
One thing to find out is how much a windshield for the new car is. 25% chance you will get nailed by a stone on the way home. My trip to Kamloops at Christmas resulted in a couple big chips that are not going to be able to be repaired
Yup.
Same here. Lost a wind shield on the way back.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:33 PM   #32
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

looks like we're gonna get some white stuff....

Alerts for: Okanagan Valley

Warnings

10:40 AM PST Saturday 03 January 2015
Winter storm warning in effect for:
  • Central Okanagan - including Kelowna
  • North Okanagan - including Vernon
  • South Okanagan - including Penticton
Hazardous winter conditions are expected.

A winter storm approaching Coastal British Columbia will begin to impact the Southern Interior Sunday morning. The snow will become heavy at times Sunday afternoon. The snow will continue to accumulate overnight and Monday. Total Snowfall accumulations of 15 to 25 cm can be expected by Monday evening. As the storm progresses, the snow will transition to freezing rain Monday evening.
Consider postponing non-essential travel until conditions improve. Prepare for quickly changing and deteriorating travel conditions. Surfaces such as highways, roads, walkways and parking lots may become icy and slippery. Public Safety Canada encourages everyone to make an emergency plan and get an emergency kit with drinking water, food, medicine, a first-aid kit and a flashlight. For information on emergency plans and kits go to http://www.getprepared.gc.ca/

Winter Storm Warnings are issued when multiple types of severe winter weather are expected to occur together.

Environment Canada meteorologists will update alerts as required. Please monitor local media or Weatheradio. Email reports of severe weather to pacificstorm@ec.gc.ca or tweet with the hashtag #BCStorm.

Statements

10:46 AM PST Saturday 03 January 2015
Special weather statement in effect for:
  • Okanagan Connector - Merritt to Kelowna
Winter storm developing Sunday.
A winter storm approaching the coast will bring significant snow to the coastal passes by early Sunday morning. Snow will spread eastward through the interior passes throughout the day on Sunday.

For the coastal passes the snow will taper off late Monday and for the interior passes it is expected to end by Tuesday morning.

Total snowfall accumulation could exceed 25 cm for the above passes.
The public is advised to monitor future forecasts and warnings as warnings may be required or extended.

Please monitor the latest forecasts and warnings from Environment Canada at www.weatheroffice.gc.ca.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:45 PM   #33
K1LLswitch
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Hi all,

Thanks for the advice, wishes and weather reports. Drive was pretty good. Day 1 to Kamloops, the Coq was a little snowy but plows were out in full force and visibility wasn't horrible (a little foggy). Day 2 to Calgary was fine - slushy from Kamloops to Salmon Arm and then cold roads with a little snow the rest of the way to Banff. A few cars in the ditch and some areas going 50km/h but only real complaint was the idiots who MUST pass on blind corners and snow covered passing lanes only to get 10 cars further ahead and drive in the same group for 4 hours. Banff to Calgary had pretty strong blowing snow but the roads were in perfect shape until Stoney where they got a little slick.

Glad to avoid the 25-30cm that are expected this afternoon.

New truck was great, glad to have winter tires and to have avoided all the delays from other accidents.
K1LLswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to K1LLswitch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2015, 09:23 PM   #34
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Send us some pics of the SUV.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote