Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-24-2019, 09:27 AM   #121
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Wouldn't shock me to see him sign right away, and also wouldn't shock me to see him moved prior to his arbitration hearing. Should be an interesting next few days regardless.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:27 AM   #122
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I'd expect we see something on Bennett tomorrow, maybe Friday.

With recent deals being signed there's no way his agent is taking this to arbitration. Copp's award, Sundqvist 4x2.5 and the crazy Sissons deal in Nashville 7x2.85 pretty much hem Bennett and his production in.

1 year 2.0
2 year 2.25
3 year 2.5 max
4 year 2.5-2.75

Just get it done

Clearly the summer of the big name RFA is resulting on a squeeze to the middle class.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2019, 09:30 AM   #123
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I'd expect we see something on Bennett tomorrow, maybe Friday.

With recent deals being signed there's no way his agent is taking this to arbitration. Copp's award, Sundqvist 4x2.5 and the crazy Sissons deal in Nashville 7x2.85 pretty much hem Bennett and his production in.

1 year 2.0
2 year 2.25
3 year 2.5 max
4 year 2.5-2.75

Just get it done
Yeah, those ranges seem spot on.

Bennett's status confuses me a bit - I know he has at least two years left of RFA status, but because of how his first year was handled...does he have three years left of RFA status? Does that first year that we burned off his ELC count against a year of professional service?

With Bennett on Saturday and Rittich on Monday, I'm wondering if these aren't pinch points where we may see some action from Treliving before these deals are completed. Once we have 5-7M used up on Bennett and Rittich, we'll have pennies left in available cap space (+ off-season overflow, if needed), and I can't imagine Tree wanting to be that tight and getting his hand forced to that degree.

Last edited by ComixZone; 07-24-2019 at 09:32 AM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 10:01 AM   #124
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree, I think we see a buyout on Stone and a Frolik for picks trade either sometime this week or sometime early after Rittich/Bennett contracts are defined. There is no question we will need to create space for Tkachuk just a matter of how/when at this point. I do feel that if he has to Treliving will hold on to Brodie and wait for a team that will inevitably need defensive help through the season due to injury if he isn’t able to get a Kadri type player at this time which I think is the right call. Brodie for all the warts that he has is still a remarkably talented Dman who has proven he can eat top pairing minutes if he is paired with the right guy; no reason to sell low on a homegrown talent like him.

The thought was maybe we could put a Brodie package together to add another top 6 piece but if that doesn’t happen I almost want to see us try Bennett in place of the departed Frolik should we hang on to Brodie for a better deal.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Backlund - Bennett
Mangiapane - Jankowski - Czarnik
Lucic - Ryan - Dube
Lomberg, Quine

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Hamonic
Valimaki - Andersson
Kylington - Yelesin

Stone buyout

Rittich
Talbot
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 10:04 AM   #125
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Bennett will likely push for a one year deal.

Pretty much assured that he gets top 6 minutes this year and is probably banking on putting up better numbers than what he has showed.

Can see a one year 2.5 million deal coming in today or tomorrow
Flames1217 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 10:31 AM   #126
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames1217 View Post

Pretty much assured that he gets top 6 minutes this year and is probably banking on putting up better numbers than what he has showed.

Maybe ... that would be some dangerous advice though, especially with the way the market is getting pinched for this type of player.

Maybe Colton Sissons is the genius and not David Poile ...

But either way, if Frolik is back the top six may not change and Bennett could be bottom six all year.

Chances are he gets bounced back and forth all season given his production rate of being a 7/8 guy on a NHL roster. No guarantees he gets that assignment all season.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2019, 10:36 AM   #127
Mayo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Maybe ... that would be some dangerous advice though, especially with the way the market is getting pinched for this type of player.

Maybe Colton Sissons is the genius and not David Poile ...

But either way, if Frolik is back the top six may not change and Bennett could be bottom six all year.

Chances are he gets bounced back and forth all season given his production rate of being a 7/8 guy on a NHL roster. No guarantees he gets that assignment all season.
I don't see why they would keep Frolik off the M³ line..they are so dominant.

Bennett is capable but keep him on 3rd line where he can dominate IMO
Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 10:45 AM   #128
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayo View Post
I don't see why they would keep Frolik off the M³ line..they are so dominant.

Bennett is capable but keep him on 3rd line where he can dominate IMO
They have to get to the cap somehow and buying out Stone, as foolish as that would be, probably doesn’t get it done.

And doesn’t Treliving want to be able to add some kind of salary at the deadline?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 11:00 AM   #129
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames1217 View Post

I don't know if it's assured that Bennett will get top 6 minutes.

Brodie could still be traded for a forward. Frolik is still on the team, although he probably won't be. Dube and Mangiapane also in the mix.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 11:09 AM   #130
JackIsBack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Don't we need one of these cases to go arbitration to open up the extra buyout window - just as a backup? Of course, I'd rather trade away (Frolik, Stone, and/or Brodie) salary (for little or no salary coming back the other way - for picks or entry level contracts) - but we need the space to sign Tkachuk.
JackIsBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 11:12 AM   #131
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackIsBack View Post
Don't we need one of these cases to go arbitration to open up the extra buyout window - just as a backup? Of course, I'd rather trade away (Frolik, Stone, and/or Brodie) salary (for little or no salary coming back the other way - for picks or entry level contracts) - but we need the space to sign Tkachuk.
Not required to go to arbitration hearing. As long as there is a case is scheduled the 2nd buyout window will open after the team's last arbitration case is closed (either settled or ruling).
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2019, 11:57 AM   #132
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
They have to get to the cap somehow and buying out Stone, as foolish as that would be, probably doesn’t get it done.

And doesn’t Treliving want to be able to add some kind of salary at the deadline?
While true, Frolik is not that expendable. RW is our weakness even with him around.

On the other hand we kind of need to move out a defenseman, as Kylington and Välimäki both need NHL icetime to develop.

I'm actually kind of surprised Brodie is still here.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 11:59 AM   #133
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
While true, Frolik is not that expendable. RW is our weakness even with him around.

On the other hand we kind of need to move out a defenseman, as Kylington and Välimäki both need NHL icetime to develop.

Yeah I’ve gone from “trade Frolik” to “please keep Frolik”

They kind of need him, and I’m telling myself the only issue he had was with Neal.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 12:24 PM   #134
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

I hope that they told both Tkachuk and bennett to practice playing right wing all offseason, in the hopes that one of them can shift over and round out the top 6 or allow for Mangi to move up

Obviously you'd love to keep Frolik around but his cap hit is too expensive for what he brings to the table and needs to go if you want to sign chuckie, rittich, mangipane and Bennett.
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 12:29 PM   #135
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post

Yeah.

I think the plan at the deadline was trade first rounder and toss in Frolik for Zucker and then trade a D at draft to recover picks. That cratered.

Off season plan was then trade Brodie or Hamonic for forward help, hopefully about cap neutral (like the Kadri deal) and then dump Frolik for whatever you can get with no salary coming back.

Now the options have dwindled significantly, which is maybe why Treliving sounds so tired. Events aren’t unfolding how he wants and thing is, he absolutely has to do something.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 12:32 PM   #136
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Perhaps this has been addressed, if team/player are close to a deal can they delay the hearing to hash things out?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 12:36 PM   #137
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post
I hope that they told both Tkachuk and bennett to practice playing right wing all offseason, in the hopes that one of them can shift over and round out the top 6 or allow for Mangi to move up

Obviously you'd love to keep Frolik around but his cap hit is too expensive for what he brings to the table and needs to go if you want to sign chuckie, rittich, mangipane and Bennett.
I don't necessarily disagree about Frolik, although it should be said he was playing at a 20g 45 pt pace last season, which I think would be enough if can repeat that.

But lore importantly, him leaving would leave a big hole in our lineup, which is why I'd rather see us move Brodie, if the return is just picks and prospects.

If the return is another player, that's a whole other conversation.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2019, 12:39 PM   #138
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Perhaps this has been addressed, if team/player are close to a deal can they delay the hearing to hash things out?
The CBA allows for it. Anyways if both sides tell the arbitrator they may be close to a deal, I can't imagine that the arbitrator will say no dice.

Quote:
Continuance, Adjournments or Postponements.
There shall be no continuance or adjournment of a hearing, but the
commencement of a hearing may be postponed by the Salary Arbitrator upon the application of the NHLPA or the League only, based on substantial cause. Any request for the postponement of a scheduled hearing shall be made to the Salary Arbitrator in writing, with copies to all other parties so that the parties may, if they desire, respond immediately to the Salary Arbitrator.

Last edited by sureLoss; 07-24-2019 at 12:41 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2019, 12:48 PM   #139
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Yeah.

I think the plan at the deadline was trade first rounder and toss in Frolik for Zucker and then trade a D at draft to recover picks. That cratered.

Off season plan was then trade Brodie or Hamonic for forward help, hopefully about cap neutral (like the Kadri deal) and then dump Frolik for whatever you can get with no salary coming back.

Now the options have dwindled significantly, which is maybe why Treliving sounds so tired. Events aren’t unfolding how he wants and thing is, he absolutely has to do something.

Yep, at this point the options available look extremely limited and he will probably have to let a really good player like Brodie go for much less than anyone here is going to like. We’ll be spending the rest of the summer telling ourselves he had no choice and this was the best he could do given the circumstances.

IMO this game of musical chairs has already been lost and it’s going to hurt when the music finally stops.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 01:01 PM   #140
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Yep, at this point the options available look extremely limited and he will probably have to let a really good player like Brodie go for much less than anyone here is going to like. We’ll be spending the rest of the summer telling ourselves he had no choice and this was the best he could do given the circumstances.

IMO this game of musical chairs has already been lost and it’s going to hurt when the music finally stops.
Nah. Top 4 dmen are always in high demand. Brodie won’t be dealt unless it’s for a decent return.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote