Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2021, 09:52 PM   #2601
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I’ll give it a few weeks for them to eradicate the bugs.
I’ve been running it on my daily device since iOS 15 Developer Beta 1. iOS 15 is fantastic, the bugs got worked out a version or two ago, I highly recommend it.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2021, 09:41 AM   #2602
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
iPadOS 15 is kind of...lame? the widgets work the same way now as they do on phones, but because they decided to lock down icon alignment with widget sizes, there is no longer the option to decrease icon spacing like before. the result is that there's way less room for apps on the first page, and enough space in between icons to fly Tim Cook's jet through. the split page multitasking is more intuitive now though, for anyone that actually uses it.

I saw the list of rumors for iPhone 14 and if even half of these are true, I'm just going to make family members wait the extra year.

- no notch
- no camera bump
- in screen fingerprint reader
- USB-C

I'm very excited for the more straight-forward multitasking. Even knowing exactly how it works, I screw up the gestures all the time.

I think it's important to keep in mind the rumours that were 2 weeks old for the 13 didn't even come true... I wouldn't put a lot of faith into iPhone 14 rumours just yet. They've probably got the next decade mapped out and features will float around constantly.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 05:00 PM   #2603
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
I saw the list of rumors for iPhone 14 and if even half of these are true, I'm just going to make family members wait the extra year.

- no notch
- no camera bump
- in screen fingerprint reader
- USB-C

Yup, that’s one tempting phone. I’ll wait and see. Hopefully hole punch camera and no camera bump make it. Im going to assume the slightly thicker design will also bring with it a larger battery. Which would be good.
Old 09-23-2021, 10:10 AM   #2604
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah I'm skeptical about no camera bump at all.

Got a shipping notification for my iPhone 13 early this morning.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2021, 11:56 AM   #2605
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

the no camera bump just seems like a no brainer to me. Why phone makers continue to extoll the virtues of a phone fractions of a mm thinner than the previous version is ridiculous to me, especially if you can make a phone more aesthetically pleasing and with a better battery life. But apple is a very pragmatic company. I think it’ll come, I just don’t know if it’ll be next year or the one after.
Old 09-23-2021, 01:06 PM   #2606
photon

Exp:

The camera bumps are pretty big. 1.5mm thicker than the rest of the 7.4mm thick phone for iPhone 12, making the whole phone 1.5mm thicker would be pretty significant imo.

But the iPhone 13 is 1/4 of a mm thicker than then iPhone 12, which must be a first for Apple.
Old 09-23-2021, 01:26 PM   #2607
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I find the camera bump significant, but only in relation to the thickness of the rest of the phone. For me, I’d prefer and likely not notice an extra 1.5 mm across the entire thickness of the phone if it means no bump and larger battery.
Old 09-23-2021, 01:45 PM   #2608
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

iPadOS feels much faster on a 9.7 pro I use.

But as usual there’s some stupid design changes I can’t comprehend. Widgets have been made smaller and the size can’t be adjusted. I can barely make out the weather and scores in the 10% of screen space they occupy and then have 90% empty wasted space.

It’s like these changes were designed to intentionally make the user experience crappier and widgets useless.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 03:37 PM   #2609
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
iPadOS feels much faster on a 9.7 pro I use.

But as usual there’s some stupid design changes I can’t comprehend. Widgets have been made smaller and the size can’t be adjusted. I can barely make out the weather and scores in the 10% of screen space they occupy and then have 90% empty wasted space.

It’s like these changes were designed to intentionally make the user experience crappier and widgets useless.
It looks much better on an 11" Pro. I'm not saying they did that on purpose to get people to upgrade but it is Apple we're talking about.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 04:29 PM   #2610
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
the no camera bump just seems like a no brainer to me. Why phone makers continue to extoll the virtues of a phone fractions of a mm thinner than the previous version is ridiculous to me, especially if you can make a phone more aesthetically pleasing and with a better battery life. But apple is a very pragmatic company. I think it’ll come, I just don’t know if it’ll be next year or the one after.
I really don't get why Apple hasn't eliminated the bump yet. Both the wife and I have Samsung Galaxy S10e devices (I use mine for work). I have it side by side with my iPhone 11 Pro which has a notch, while the S10e has the little hole-punch in the top left corner.

Bezels around actual display? Virtually identical, though the S10e is a bit thicker on the bottom of the display.
Facial recognition? Both have it.
AR Memoji things? Both have it.
Fingerprint reader? Goose egg to the iPhone. The S10e has one built into the Power/Lock button which is friggin' brilliant design. Also works to swipe up and down on the notifications tray.

And that's in a package that's thinner and lighter than the iPhone 11 Pro. I just fail to see how Samsung did it two generations ago and Apple is still stuck with it.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 05:39 PM   #2611
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I've been waiting for years for the address bar for safari to move to the bottom.

IMO, home screen icons should also stack from the bottom, not the top. The top of your screen is the hardest to reach, so why load up the interactions required to that part of the screen?

Also, I'm so used to the side swipe gesture to switch apps, that I'd accidentally use it trying to change website tabs in Safari. So cool that works now.

The 1Password iOS Safari extension also solved my issue with the pain of creating accounts on my phone with a password manager compared to on a desktop. I'd been contemplating dropping Lastpass for 1Password for a while, and this finally nudged me into it.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2021, 05:46 PM   #2612
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
It looks much better on an 11" Pro. I'm not saying they did that on purpose to get people to upgrade but it is Apple we're talking about.
Are they bigger? Do they scale better?

Here’s what it looks like on mine. It’s beyond awful. Completely useless more like it. I’m not even sure if the scores will show up properly when there’s a game on.

Old 09-24-2021, 01:44 PM   #2613
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

What they did with focus is really bad too. I used to be able to control my sleep/bedtime button with one click. Now it’s buried in focus with other buttons I’ll never use. Meaningless extra clicks and wasted screen space.

I’m also having issues with safari on iPadOS. It does this weird automatic zoom thing that I don’t want it to when I open safari and it can’t be stopped. May have to switch browsers.

The new notification banners suck too. Way too small. I preferred the old size. Especially when I’m approving a push. The button is so tiny I keep accidentally hitting discard. Why make them miniature sized? What’s that accomplish?

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 09-24-2021 at 01:47 PM.
Old 09-24-2021, 03:38 PM   #2614
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I picked up my 13 Max Pro today. Coming from an 8 Plus, needless to say is a pretty big upgrade...especially with the camera. Playing with the cinematic video, the bokeh feels a touch fake (not unlike with Portrait mode at times), but overall cool stuff.

Do you guys still get screen protectors on your phone? From the sounds of it the Ceramic Shield is an upgrade, but perhaps still worth it?
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 04:17 PM   #2615
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I picked up my 13 Max Pro today. Coming from an 8 Plus, needless to say is a pretty big upgrade...especially with the camera. Playing with the cinematic video, the bokeh feels a touch fake (not unlike with Portrait mode at times), but overall cool stuff.

Do you guys still get screen protectors on your phone? From the sounds of it the Ceramic Shield is an upgrade, but perhaps still worth it?
I slapped on this belkin. Good product.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2021, 06:37 PM   #2616
photon

Exp:

Got it and transferred everything over. I really like how seamless they've made that.

Seems really nice, though the square edges make it feel a bit bigger. And it's noticeably heaver than the X.

I'll have to check my authenticator apps though, the Microsoft one I use for work didn't seem to transfer over.
Old 09-24-2021, 07:00 PM   #2617
CaptainReboot
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post

Yeah I always have gotten one. I got this one from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B09...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by CaptainReboot; 09-24-2021 at 07:11 PM.
CaptainReboot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainReboot For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2021, 07:43 PM   #2618
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Been playing around with mine since this morning. Much faster and smoother feeling with the higher refresh screen. Took some really nice pics of my kid right out of the box with no setting adjustments.

The outer banding in silver reminds me of the iPhone 4. Didn't realize the back was a matte finish, but I like it and its much grippier than the X glass. The side button is annoyingly low compared to the X, and is my only complaint.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 08:56 PM   #2619
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

For those of you who are trading up, what would you do with an XR?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 09:49 PM   #2620
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainReboot View Post
Yeah I always have gotten one. I got this one from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B09...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I bought that one for my 12 Pro and that plastic frame makes installation so easy.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote