Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-20-2021, 10:59 AM   #381
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha lol! Good one!

Deafening silence here on the penalties never given....

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 12:21 PM   #382
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Hahaha, bias against United? I've definitely heard it all, now.
MU is that plucky little club, overcoming all odds stacked against it by the Man. The little engine that could.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2021, 12:58 PM   #383
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

There were at least 2 pens though Ronaldo should have gotten, there was 1 where I think he initiated the contact, and I know they judge on intent now so I can see that not given.

But the one right before the west ham.pebalty, was a nailed on pen, no clue how var didn't get involved
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2021, 01:04 PM   #384
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

bit tired of the agenda stuff both ways. It's actually more realistic to me that English refs are just ####ing bad at what they are doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
There were at least 2 pens though Ronaldo should have gotten, there was 1 where I think he initiated the contact, and I know they judge on intent now so I can see that not given.

But the one right before the west ham.pebalty, was a nailed on pen, no clue how var didn't get involved
yup. I was actually fine with the one not given where Ronaldo clearly wanted it, I don't have a problem with that one at all. The last one was stonewall though, I still have no idea how Atkinson and friends missed that one.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2021, 01:06 PM   #385
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ronaldo is remarkable though.

He's 36 years old, playing in the best league in the world, and has 4 goals in 3 matches across the Premier League and Champions league so far and still impacts every game.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 01:08 PM   #386
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Ronaldo is remarkable though.

He's 36 years old, playing in the best league in the world, and has 4 goals in 3 matches across the Premier League and Champions league so far and still impacts every game.
The dude is a machine. Unreal.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 01:09 PM   #387
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I honestly think he's better than Messi.

Messi is amazing, but he was playing in a Barcelona team that was always tailor made for his strengths and to protect him.

You could see it with Argentina, and now at PSG, when the team isn't perfectly set up for him he's struggled.

Ronaldo...England, Spain, Italy, Champions League, Internationally...it doesn't matter where he is playing he just goes out and does his thing. And is still doing it at 36 years old.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2021, 01:56 PM   #388
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Messi is amazing, but he was playing in a Barcelona team that was always tailor made for his strengths and to protect him.

You could see it with Argentina, and now at PSG, when the team isn't perfectly set up for him he's struggled.

Ronaldo...England, Spain, Italy, Champions League, Internationally...it doesn't matter where he is playing he just goes out and does his thing. And is still doing it at 36 years old.
I agree, and for largely the same reasons.

He has proven his ability in all leagues. To be able to come to England and still perform at the highest level at 36 is amazing.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 09-21-2021, 01:45 PM   #389
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ronaldo is the epitome of hard work overcomes.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 07:05 PM   #390
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My personal opinion is that Messi is a better footballer by a large margin, but that is to take nothing away from Ronaldo. They are both incredible players.
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 07:48 PM   #391
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Ronaldo has changed his game so much as well, hes moved up top the last 3 years and his goal scoring is still an elite level, so many strikers move out wide or into a 10 role later in their careers, cant think of any other high level ones who moved into a 9.
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 07:56 PM   #392
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Ronaldo is a great goal scorer and one of the top two players I've seen play in my life, but he's a major liability to Manchester United. They won't be able to press in the Champions League with a guy like him playing up front, simply because he can't run and the recover time he needs between sprints are longer and longer as he gets older. I think PSG will be in a similar position with Messi up front. You need guys in their 20s who are able to chase and harry defenders all match long, and nobody can be expected to perform that much work at such an advanced age.
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 10:56 PM   #393
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaErtz View Post
Ronaldo is a great goal scorer and one of the top two players I've seen play in my life, but he's a major liability to Manchester United. They won't be able to press in the Champions League with a guy like him playing up front, simply because he can't run and the recover time he needs between sprints are longer and longer as he gets older. I think PSG will be in a similar position with Messi up front. You need guys in their 20s who are able to chase and harry defenders all match long, and nobody can be expected to perform that much work at such an advanced age.

Here's a small sample, with their new clubs.

Messi is younger, playing in the 6th best European league, and has 0 goals in 3 games.
Ronaldo, is playing in the toughest, and best football league in Euro-- the WORLD. He has 4 goals in 3 games.

Major liability indeed.

Last edited by cam_wmh; 09-21-2021 at 11:04 PM.
cam_wmh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 10:41 AM   #394
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Derby go into administration. Deducted 12 points. Straight to the bottom of The Championship on -2 points, nine points from safety with the likelihood of another nine point deduction coming their way.

So basically going to be 18 points from the drop.

With Rooney at the wheel.
Quote:
Derby have been docked 12 points by the English Football League, sending them to the foot of the Championship, after confirming the appointment of administrators. Wayne Rooney’s side had 10 points from eight games but are now six points adrift of second-bottom Nottingham Forest.A Derby statement said Andrew Hosking, Carl Jackson and Andrew Andronikou of the business advisory firm Quantuma would serve as joint administrators. Derby had signalled their intention to appoint administrators last week, citing a failure to identify new owners and the continued impact of Covid-19 on revenue streams.

Hosking said: “We are in the early stages of assessing the options available to the club and would invite any interested parties to come forward. Our immediate objectives are to ensure the club completes all its fixtures in the Championship this season and finding interested parties to safeguard the club and its employees.”
The EFL said it had held talks with the administrators and that talks were planned with the supporters’ group Rams Trust, the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport, and local MPs.
The EFL’s chief executive, Trevor Birch, said: “I appreciate this is a challenging and concerning period for everyone associated with the club, particularly the staff and supporters, and it is our intention to work proactively with the administrators and all relevant parties with the objective of securing a long-term and viable future for Derby County.”
Derby stand to be deducted a further nine points, and given a suspended three-point deduction, for a separate breach of the EFL rules. Derby were ordered to resubmit their 2015-16, 2016-17 and 2017-18 accounts after being found to have broken accounting regulations.
https://www.theguardian.com/football...administration

And Rooney and the players find out on the news.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 01:19 PM   #395
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jon Moss, another brilliant ref. Tell me how Noble on Lingard wasn't a clear pen ...
Old 09-22-2021, 03:15 PM   #396
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Jon Moss, another brilliant ref. Tell me how Noble on Lingard wasn't a clear pen ...
You got dumped from the Cariboo Cup.

Lucky bastards.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2021, 04:39 PM   #397
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

Lucky bastards.
Yeah, it’s tough from my perspective. We have almost no chance for silverware anywhere, and not a large enough squad to contend everywhere. But maybe the win today gives a little confidence.

You guys ended up with Preston though, so at least it’s an easy draw.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 11:37 AM   #398
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

Lucky bastards.
I actually like the Cariboo Cup if teams field their youngsters. If Ole threw in academy talents like Mengi, Hannibal, Shoretire, Elanga and so on, I'd watch with interest for sure. But since it's Mata, Bailly and friends instead, yeah, I'll take it.
Old 09-24-2021, 01:10 PM   #399
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

would be pretty cool if other clubs would follow this example, but I doubt it.

Quote:
Bolton Wanderers have announced they will no longer provide any on-site betting at the UniBol or enter into any new commercial partnerships and sponsorships with firms representing the gambling industry. The club say they will now look to support charities and organisations which aim to provide help for those suffering from gambling addiction.

Chairman Sharon Brittan said: “Problem gambling ruins lives and we’ve taken this stance to show our support for those who are suffering from a betting addiction.
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news...betting-links/
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2021, 02:06 PM   #400
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
would be pretty cool if other clubs would follow this example, but I doubt it.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news...betting-links/
The English love to Gamble. I dont know of any other Culture (maybe the Chinese but I cant speak to that) who love to gamble more. So I dont see this making much of a dent.

My favourite bet of all time was that one where people were putting money on that overweight backup Goaltender/Coach to eat a pie on the bench during an FA Cup match.

I think he lost his job over that, but it was hilarious.