Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-12-2021, 04:16 PM   #1
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon23 2021 Carolina Hurricanes Off-Season

WELCOME BACK CARTER

In one of two deals Tuesday the Carolina Hurricanes have re-acquired former Hurricanes Jeff Carter from the Detroit Red Wings

Carter who scored 10 goals and assisted on 21 others with the Red Wings, comes to the 'Canes hoping to provide a leadership and mentor role to the Canes superstar Matthew Barzal. "Matthew struggled to get things going all year and heading into the offseason we want to surround Matthew with all the tools to have him succeed," said Hurricanes GM Hanna Sniper "Jeff has had some success in the past playing along with Matthew, and we are hoping that we can reconnect that chemistry.

Leaving the Canes is defensive prospect Sean Durzi and a 4th round selection (101)in this year's draft. Durzi had an amazing season with the Ontario Reign in the AHL and taking over the No.1 duties for the Reign. GM Hanna also added "It's tough to cut ties with Sean, he's done everything this organization has asked from him. But defence is one of our deepest positions. We have a couple of kids coming up and Sean deserved more playing time to develop that we simply didn't have"

In another deal, the Carolina Hurricanes purchased the San Jose Sharks first-round selection in the 2023 draft. When asked what info the San Jose GM had on t the Hurricanes GM, Hanna replied "No comment, plus I haven't been to Vegas in over a year" then went on to say "definitely haven';t been to Vegas in more than 9 months"
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hanna Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2021, 01:38 PM   #2
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon23

Hurricanes held an elite skills clinic competition as the Canes audition, 8 players, to dwindle down to the remaining 3 center positions for the 2021 Carolina Hurricanes opening day roster

Jean-Gabriel Pageau is expected to be a lock as he has become the 3rd best shutdown center in the SIM, only behind Patrice Bergeron and Ryan O'Reilly. Although Pageau's name is frequently found in trade rumours, for over a year now, there seems to be no hard feeling between Pageau and the Hurricanes management "hockey is a business, my job is to control what happens on the ice" commented Pageau "the team is starting to become a contender and I feel I'm a big part of it"

Both Adam Lowry and Colton Sissons and engaged in contract negotiations this offseason with the Canes so today's showing was very critical to both players. Lowry, who is trying to land a long-term deal that see's him remain as Hurricanes for 3 more seasons. Right now, Lowery and the team seem to be at a standstill working out the final dollars.

Sam Steel seems to have caught an initial virus that is affected some SIM players, although an NHL player seems to have developed a drag that has lowered his overall state to much less than players that have even played a game in the NHL. It was good to see Sam in good spirits during the clinic and looks to return to the CPHL pro team next year

*Lucas Wallmark has clear waivers today at 2:30 pm and will join the Albany River Rats for the start of the season

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hanna Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2021, 01:52 AM   #3
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon23

BIG ERN CALLS IN A FAVOUR

The Carolina Hurricanes acquired Milan Lucic Wednesday afternoon from the San Jose Sharks. It looked like Milan's career may have come to an end as his days were numbered in the CPHL. Once the Sharks had put the big man on the trading block and no bidders, it looked like Lucic was going to be placed on waivers in the last-ditch effort to remove the contract from the Sharks payroll... with a possible buyout lurking... Until the Carolina Hurricanes GM's phone rang

GM Hanna: You kill em, we chill em
GM Hanna: Hey Big Ern, great to hear from you again
GM Hanna: Funny thing, I was just talking to Reggie about you yesterday
GM Hanna: Ya, I saw that. What are you going to do, Sharks were in a tough spot. Most guys in the minors got a better rating than him
GM Hanna: We have Rowney and this fresh young kid by the name of Foudy fighting it out for the final position on the 4th line
GM Hanna: I think the kid looks great, we're days away from giving him a pro contract
GM Hanna: .....
GM Hanna: Yes Mr. McGraatan, we'll get it done

In return for Lucic, the San Jose Sharks acquire winger Matt Luff and prospect Jacob Leguerrier

Not sure if this is going to work out for the Canes, but I thought it was worth a try.

Other Notes
Flashback Friday return this Friday as the Carolina Hurricanes rollback time and revisit classic moments
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hanna Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2021, 02:05 AM   #4
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

THE 1.2M DOLLAR GOAL
April 14th 2014

Back in the 2013-2014 season, The league had an interesting gimmick called Sponsorship. Teams were able to wager cap at the beginning of the season to purchase a sponsorship. If the team filled the requirements of that sponsorship the team then would be awarded the cap reward for the next season

The Carolina Hurricanes had bet 950k that they would have a player with an OV lower than 60 score a total of 11 goals or more. In dramatic fashion, on the final game of the 2013-2014 season, John Tavares set up the 57ov Brian McGrattan on the powerplay for Big Ern's 11th goal of the season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna Sniper View Post

The Big Ern Cashes Out at Sobeys

Brian McGrattan makes CPHL history with the Carolina Hurricanes last night by scoring his 11th goal of the season in a 4-3 victory over the New York Rangers. Brian becomes the first-ever player CPHL to accomplish the league’s Sobey’s sponsorship reward that rewards it’s organization with a 1.2M cap reward. The Sobey’s sponsorship is handed out to a projected player with an overall rating lower than 60ov with who scores 11 goals in a season. McGrattan's PP goal at 13.01 of the 1st period in the final game of the season was the goal needed by the 57ov rated winger.

McGrattan finishes off the season with a total 11G 7A for 18PTS and an impressive 335 PIM (2nd most in the league) in 76 games.

After the game the humble McGrattan was quick to give credit to his teammates for the accomplishment “my 11 goals this season just goes to show you what an amazing and under-rated player John Tavares is in this league, The number of open nets he gave me was unreal. He’s the best player in our league, and his back-to-back scoring titles prove it.” When asked about the coach's decision to play him on both PP’s lines and did he feel that the organization was pulling for him “Ya, I think coach Lindy Ruff pulled a trick out of KevenGuy ‘s hat, THE Brian Holzinger or something like that…. Actually, the organization has been supporting me for a very long time now, truly blessed to be playing here in Carolina, not only in the early years as I worked my way up from the minors but also for ‘Canes for bringing me back last year and then rewarding me with a 3 yr term in the summer… but to go out and invests another 950K in me like they did with sponsorship hopes really cemented it. It feels great to cash in on one of them, hopefully, it’s not done there and I can bring home another for our GM”

Congratulation to Brian McGrattan on a fabulous season, I actually had a lot of fun trying to accomplish this sponsorship
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hanna Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2021, 09:05 PM   #5
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

CANES MAKE A SPLASH IN FREE AGENCY

The Hurricanes sign a trio of vets during Free Agency as the 'Canes look to solidify their core this offseason to make a push for that elusive playoff seed. The additions of Jordan Staal, Mats Zuccarello and Jason Spezza will join previous additions of Jeff Carter, Zdeno Chara and Marcus Johansson who will form a leadership core outside of the Hurricanes young core they built around. The goal for the Hurricanes was to add this veteran presence without taking away from the youth rebuild the Hurricanes went through that last few seasons

A lot of this offseason restructure will rely on the shoulders of Chara, as he takes some time to decide if he wants to come back to Raleigh for one more season or call it a career

New Additions

Jordan Staal FA 3yrs @ 4.50M
It's unsure right now if Jordan will take the center position on the 3rd line, bumping Adam Lowry to the 4th, or will he play on the left side of Mathew Barzal and Alex DeBrincat as the 'Canes No.1 line

Regardless, Jodan along with Lowry will become the foundation of the Hurricanes PK for the 2021-22 season. A be the foundation of trying to hold other teams off the scoreboard

Mats Zuccarello FA3 yrs @ 1.70M
The 'Canes desperately lacked scoring last season, partly due to the fact that the Hurricanes lineup just didn't have any secondary options. Mats join the 'Canes for just this purpose, to be a different look.

Mats look to start the season playing on the 3rd line with Staal and Marcus Johansson. If the DeBrincat - Barzal - Carter line struggles to produce, Mats slots in for Carter and hopefully ignites the two stars. Also if the young speedster Jordan Kyrou struggles with the pressure of producing on the 2nd line, Mats can also jump in and add a veteran boost to the unit also.

Jason Spezza FA 3yrs @ 1.25M
Jason looks to play right wing beside either Lowry or Casey Cizikas with Colton Sissons playing the opposite wing. Spezza gives the Hurricanes a solid 4th line that will be able to give the 'Canes a chance to make a run for the playoffs, which will be the first in a very long time.

In the previous years, the 'Canes filled out the 4th line with pylons and plugs to ice a lineup. There just wasn't enough depth in the organization to fill out the roster. With the league changing direction and going to a two-year rating system, the Hurricanes found themselves on the short end and being a young team, carrying the burden of the first year weighed down their potential. The only solution was to bring in some vets to let the young players add another season to their experience before joining the Canes

Zach Bogosian Waiver 2yrs @ 750K
Zach was claimed from the Devils on Saturday to be the guy to pop the popcorn and host the pressbox rally cheers. We are taking a chance that playing a full season for the NHL Lightning, Zach will have a very attractive DF rating next year that will make a great shutdown addition to our team... at a very cheap 750k cap hit. With Chara's career in question still and the inevitable injuries there's no doubt, Zach, with getting a few games this year at least

Last edited by Hanna Sniper; 08-22-2021 at 09:19 PM.
Hanna Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hanna Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2021, 08:34 AM   #6
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Great pickup in Spezza

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Swayze11 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2021, 09:17 AM   #7
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Your graphics are always the best. Well done.
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JonDuke For This Useful Post: