Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2008, 12:44 PM   #21
HelloHockeyFans
n00b!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ok, ok,....I get it View Post
I don't agree....First off she was not a "rock" singer, can you see her belting out the Immagrant Song? "I COME FROM A LAND OF ICE AND SNOW".....no neither can I

Is she the best jazz/blues/R & B singer possible...she has legs, but what about Ella F., she could rip.

The problem is this is apples and oranges.
Good to see some one give Ella "props". Her improv was phenomenal and yes, she could sing.
HelloHockeyFans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:51 PM   #22
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip View Post
Anything that is conducted by Rolling Stone is complete BS. They are the worst music publication EVER.

They've always made the controversial picks for the sake of being controversial. And yet sold out so quickly in the mid to late 90s. I effing hate Rolling Stone. Any magazine that gave Zeppelin I a bad review deserves to wiped off the face of the earth.
I stopped giving any credence to Rolling Stone lists when the ranked the greatest guitarists of all time and had Kurt Cobain at #12. I'll grant that Nirvana was a highly influential band that helped define rock music in the 90s, but Cobain was a horrible hack of a guitarist. The list commits a further sin by ranking Jack White at #17. By comparison, Eddie Van Halen was listed at #70.

Or what about placing Kirk Hammet one spot shy of the top 10 but innovators and legends like Brian May, Pete Townshend, Dick Dale, Robert Fripp, and Frank Zappa are all much lower? Just a terrible list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling...ts_of_all_time
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:55 PM   #23
ok, ok,....I get it
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

the edge at 24.....WTF...he should be OFF the list

wow, there are a lot of good names I had forgotten about, I say Buddy Guy play the Olympic plaza....dude could play
ok, ok,....I get it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:13 PM   #24
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

What is Rock and Roll?

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=73:20

Rock & Roll is often used as a generic term, but its sound is rarely predictable. From the outset, when the early rockers merged country and blues, rock has been defined by its energy, rebellion and catchy hooks, but as the genre aged, it began to shed those very characteristics, placing equal emphasis on craftmanship and pushing the boundaries of the music. As a result, everything from Chuck Berry's pounding, three-chord rockers and the sweet harmonies of the Beatles to the jarring, atonal white noise of Sonic Youth has been categorized as "rock." That's accurate -- rock & roll had a specific sound and image for only a handful of years. For most of its life, rock has been fragmented, spinning off new styles and variations every few years, from Brill Building Pop and heavy metal to dance-pop and grunge. And that's only natural for a genre that began its life as a fusion of styles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_and_roll

Last edited by troutman; 11-12-2008 at 01:31 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2008, 01:31 PM   #25
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
I stopped giving any credence to Rolling Stone lists when the ranked the greatest guitarists of all time and had Kurt Cobain at #12. I'll grant that Nirvana was a highly influential band that helped define rock music in the 90s, but Cobain was a horrible hack of a guitarist. The list commits a further sin by ranking Jack White at #17. By comparison, Eddie Van Halen was listed at #70.

Or what about placing Kirk Hammet one spot shy of the top 10 but innovators and legends like Brian May, Pete Townshend, Dick Dale, Robert Fripp, and Frank Zappa are all much lower? Just a terrible list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling...ts_of_all_time
Depends on how you define good guitarist though. Is a guitarist someone who can play scales really fast? Does songwriting ability come into the equation? Does the ability create new sounds come into it?

There are some guys that can play and shred with great skill, like Joe Satriani, whose music I would never give a flying turd about. He would never make my list, because to me, if you pick up a guitar and can't write good tunes, whats the point?

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:33 PM   #26
ok, ok,....I get it
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
Depends on how you define good guitarist though. Is a guitarist someone who can play scales really fast? Does songwriting ability come into the equation? Does the ability create new sounds come into it?

There are some guys that can play and shred with great skill, like Joe Satriani, whose music I would never give a flying turd about. He would never make my list, because to me, if you pick up a guitar and can't write good tunes, whats the point?
i agree, this is why I think the Edge sucks as a guitar player...but he can write a nice song.

Bob Dylan. good writer, meh guitar player.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:35 PM   #27
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
What is Rock and Roll?

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=73:20

Rock & Roll is often used as a generic term, but its sound is rarely predictable. From the outset, when the early rockers merged country and blues, rock has been defined by its energy, rebellion and catchy hooks, but as the genre aged, it began to shed those very characteristics, placing equal emphasis on craftmanship and pushing the boundaries of the music. As a result, everything from Chuck Berry's pounding, three-chord rockers and the sweet harmonies of the Beatles to the jarring, atonal white noise of Sonic Youth has been categorized as "rock." That's accurate -- rock & roll had a specific sound and image for only a handful of years. For most of its life, rock has been fragmented, spinning off new styles and variations every few years, from Brill Building Pop and heavy metal to dance-pop and grunge. And that's only natural for a genre that began its life as a fusion of styles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_and_roll

That's a really cool article... or webpage rather. Looks like I'll have to spend some time on it this afernoon.

Last edited by peter12; 11-12-2008 at 01:37 PM.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:37 PM   #28
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
That's a really cool article.
An essay linked further down the page:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=19:T490

Rock & Roll John Floyd

Ask 20 people for a definition of rock & roll and you'll get 20 different answers, for everyone has their own idea of what the music is and what it should do. And that's good, because if rock & roll could be defined with a simple, concise description, it would've died sometime in the mid-'60s. Rock & roll defies categorization: you can't trace its origins back to one particular source, you can't define its content with words like "rebellion" or "sexuality," and you can't pinpoint its sensibility with one clever catch phrase.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:37 PM   #29
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

How many legends and pioneers of Rock & Roll or the Blues can you find on the stages here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WJhcEnBM70

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhR_G7Yt2J0
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:39 PM   #30
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
An essay linked further down the page:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=19:T490

Rock & Roll John Floyd

Ask 20 people for a definition of rock & roll and you'll get 20 different answers, for everyone has their own idea of what the music is and what it should do. And that's good, because if rock & roll could be defined with a simple, concise description, it would've died sometime in the mid-'60s. Rock & roll defies categorization: you can't trace its origins back to one particular source, you can't define its content with words like "rebellion" or "sexuality," and you can't pinpoint its sensibility with one clever catch phrase.
That's what is so awesome about it. In my mind, it truly is the pinpoint of what makes Western democracy so great. The development of fusion culture that is so explosive and incredibly dynamic.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:39 PM   #31
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chuck Berry?
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:40 PM   #32
ok, ok,....I get it
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
That's what is so awesome about it. In my mind, it truly is the pinpoint of what makes Western democracy so great. The development of fusion culture that is so explosive and incredibly dynamic.
I am not so sure....the USSR did a good job fusing cultures
Old 11-12-2008, 01:41 PM   #33
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

She belongs in soul/r&b/motown

I don't care about the "roots" of rock and roll. It's not the rock & roll as I think of it.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:42 PM   #34
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
She belongs in soul/r&b/motown

I don't care about the "roots" of rock and roll. It's not the rock & roll as I think of it.
That's the point.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:10 PM   #35
Ford Prefect
Has Towel, Will Travel

Exp:

Coincidentally, I was listening to some of her stuff earlier today. She's alright, but I doubt I'd rate her in the top 20 even. Just not my thang.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:48 PM   #36
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

LOL...love the reactions.

ANYONE that doesnt think AF sings only R&B needs to give their heads a shake...would I give her the nod as best ever? No way. But she is certainly WAY up there.

Again..this survey was conducted by...

Quote:
according to the magazine's survey of 179 musicians, producers, Rolling Stone editors, an according to the magazine's survey of 179 musicians, producers, Rolling Stone editors, and other music-industry insiders.

Opinions vary from one to another....no question. I do find it funny though that so many here are absolutely aghast at the choices that were actually produced from those in the business.

I see Dylan at 7...and shake my head. Wouldnt even have him in my top 200. However when others in the business say he is up there...I will agree that my opinion is wrong.

One guy, who I would have in my top 10 minimum, is Lou Graham....so im interested where they place him.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:05 PM   #37
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
Uhh, I think you are missing the point, she is black and rock and roll is white and preferably with long hair and tight pants.
Cocaine!
Old 11-12-2008, 07:06 PM   #38
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I see Dylan at 7...and shake my head. Wouldnt even have him in my top 200. However when others in the business say he is up there...I will agree that my opinion is wrong.

One guy, who I would have in my top 10 minimum, is Lou Graham....so im interested where they place him.
I agree with the Dylan comment. The guy is a tremendous songwriter and definitely has one of the most recognizable voices, but I wouldn't call it "great".

Lou Graham? Is that the dude from Foreigner?
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:09 PM   #39
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would also like to mention that any poll like this that doesn't have Roy Orbison in its top 10 is flawed. Dude could jump octaves like nobody's business.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:10 PM   #40
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
Aretha could and still can belt out rock and roll but she is firstly, the queen of soul. Those were her roots as evidenced in this video.

Here are the queens of soul, Aretha Franklin, Sarah Vaughn, Roberta Flack and Peggy Lee. Add in Ella Fitzgerald, maybe Pearl Bailey and you have talent without end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z_bOPntfPA
Tina Turner?