Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2018, 02:11 PM   #1
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:
Exclamation [Video] Bennett 17/18 Highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIbnxoRTG4k

2017-2018 Stats:
In 82 games: 11 goals + 15 assists = 26 points, 140 hits, 34 blocks, 54 takeaways. He also beat up Josh Manson!

Probably our most polarizing player now. I understand the frustration in Bennett's lack of production and dumb penalties, but putting this video together really hammered home for me how good Bennett is and how good he will be with better linemates more than anything. Hathaway, Lazar, and even Jankowski are featured pretty prominently in this video messing up some grade A chances generated by Bennett. He hits like a truck, and dominates along the boards better than anyone on the Flames.

I really hope he gets 2 offensive players to gel with this season. So many combinations that I could all see working well. Does he stay with Jankowski, maybe rounded out with Frolik, Czarnik, or Foo? What about a Bennett - Backlund - Lindholm line? He's shown a lot of chemistry with Tkachuk as well. I think finding Bennett a line that can dominate possession just like the Jagr trio or even the Hathaway trio did at times, but actually produce is one of the biggest keys this season.

My favourite plays of his: His clutch winner at home vs VAN, his fight with Manson, and when he calmly leans over from the bench to threaten / chirp Henrique vs ANA.

Videos Completed This Summer:

I set up a poll asking what video the majority of people would like to see next:
https://www.strawpoll.me/16258517
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 02:29 PM   #2
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Neal
Bennett - Dubé - Tkachuk
Frolik - Backlund - Lindholm
Jankowski - Ryan - Czarnik
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 02:32 PM   #3
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Agreed, this is why you dont give up on young kids.
I can totally see him improving playing along side skilled players for an extended period of time, someone who can finish on his line would make a huge difference, perhaps Neal at some point.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 02:32 PM   #4
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

AC, I love you man, but how did you manage to find 30 minutes of Bennett highlights? You might be stretching what the word "highlight" means for a guy that had 26 points.

Edit: although let me say this. Clearly you see him make some good plays and either he can't finish or his linemates can't finish. Let's hope there's a bit more finish this season.

Last edited by Cali Panthers Fan; 08-12-2018 at 02:37 PM.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 02:34 PM   #5
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
AC, I love you man, but how did you manage to find 30 minutes of Bennett highlights? You might be stretching what the word "highlight" means for a guy that had 26 points.
Hits, blocks, scrums, defensive plays, nice passes/plays that don't lead to goals, and a marathon fight.

It's similar to how you commented in the Gio video that I included so many good defensive plays. There's more to a player than goals and assists.

Last edited by AC; 08-12-2018 at 02:40 PM.
Old 08-12-2018, 02:39 PM   #6
JurassicTunga12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's to a big upcoming season for him. Man, if he can break out, this team will be deadly.
JurassicTunga12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 02:39 PM   #7
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Hits, blocks, scrums, defensive plays, nice passes that don't lead to goals, and a marathon fight.

It's similar to how you commented in the Gio video that I included so many good defensive plays. There's more to a player than goals and assists.
Agreed, but there's a few of these that I can't find Bennett's nice play in. If it's there, it's really under the radar.

Not criticizing BTW, do these however you want. It's still good to revisit these players in the off-season.
Old 08-12-2018, 02:44 PM   #8
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Agreed, but there's a few of these that I can't find Bennett's nice play in. If it's there, it's really under the radar.
Hmm, do you have any examples?
Old 08-12-2018, 02:54 PM   #9
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Could you make a couple of gifs of Bennett tuning up the band on Manson's face?
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 03:11 PM   #10
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Hmm, do you have any examples?
Eh, there was 2 or 3 in the first 5 minutes that I wasn't sure what he did, can't remember exactly where. There were another couple later that seemed like routine defensive plays. Just my opinion though. Not telling you how to do your work.

Sorry, I really don't mean to seem critical here.
Old 08-12-2018, 03:14 PM   #11
saXon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Eh, there was 2 or 3 in the first 5 minutes that I wasn't sure what he did, can't remember exactly where. There were another couple later that seemed like routine defensive plays. Just my opinion though. Not telling you how to do your work.

Sorry, I really don't mean to seem critical here.
Well, I don't see you criticizing the video itself, moreso the player and the opinion of the player. I don't see anything wrong with that.

saXon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 03:14 PM   #12
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

My favourite play, besides the Vancouver goal, was the hit at 23:00. It was a game where Bennett was playing center, and Bart had just made a brutal giveaway. Bennett completely undid what looked like a great scoring chance.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 03:15 PM   #13
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't wait to see Bennett actually played with quality NHL linemates again. It's been two years since he's had an outright "opportunity to succeed". The improved depth up front is going to benefit Jankowski and Bennett the most. Both are young developing talented players who can't carry deadweight up and down the ice at this stage (really...no one should have to) - and our bottom 6, outside of Bennett and Jankowski was entirely deadweight last season.

Last edited by ComixZone; 08-12-2018 at 03:24 PM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2018, 04:28 PM   #14
IGGYFORMVP
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Looking at AC's excellent video package really shows me Bennett plays a mans game. I really believe he will start to excel as his body catches up to his style of play. In order to play his gritty game at the NHL level he needed more weight to throw around. As his body fills out I think we will see him take his bulldog game to a new level.
IGGYFORMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 04:39 PM   #15
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

What Bennett needs to do is continue to work on the small things so that he can make the big plays happen. My opinion is of a young player still trying to learn that he doesn’t need to do everything on his own like he had to do in Kingston, or be the “Star” player. Not yet at least.

If he continues to make the small and simple defensive plays, stands up for his teammates with a few fights here and there, but more importantly cuts back on the dumb penalties he commits (due to trying to do it all), I can’t see why we won’t see more offensive highlights by Bennett next season.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 04:58 PM   #16
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sam Bennett appears to delight in picking fights with larger players, and then proceeding to ragdoll them.

We should keep him for this alone.
Old 08-12-2018, 05:47 PM   #17
shogged
First Line Centre

Exp:

No question Bennett is a talented guy, let’s hope he can put it all together this year
shogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:43 PM   #18
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Thank Christ Gulutzan is gone and the derailment of Bennett and his development is back on track.

When you see a scrum you see either Matthew in the middle and Bennett pulling someone out and then the gloves come off.....it’s tune time.

Sams not going around you.....he’s going over you.

He listened and learned from Jagr and I saw a guy protect the puck well and either shoot it or make a nice dish to someone and then promptly go to the net.

I’ve never seen Sam skate away from anything. Wow I love this kid even more AC.

I’ve seen it take time for players on this team to fight thru slumps as far as scoring but still contribute in other ways and Sam is one of them for sure.

What I’d love seeing is him pull a William Karllsson and just explode this year and build that confidence. I don’t think anyone is harder on Sam than Sam and I hope the bull#### whipping boy extravaganza just stops .

These guys all play balls to the wall and slumps happen. Good coaches know that and let them work on it with extra shifts , responsibilities etc.

So excited to see Sam and other players this year who have that jam and extra intensity.

Awesome awesome highlight package .
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:46 PM   #19
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have hopes for Bennett, and I guess my question for AC is this: given that you've spent god knows how much time rewatching this trainwreck season for these videos, is Bennett's board game better than Tkachuk's?

My initial instinct, and that's all it is, is that Tkachuk's is better. I may well be mistaken.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:52 PM   #20
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
I have hopes for Bennett, and I guess my question for AC is this: given that you've spent god knows how much time rewatching this trainwreck season for these videos, is Bennett's board game better than Tkachuk's?

My initial instinct, and that's all it is, is that Tkachuk's is better. I may well be mistaken.
Good question, I would say in a basic either/or Tkachuk's is better but it's also different. Tkachuk seems to WANT to pin himself against the boards and invite the opponent to try and take it, where he then wins the physical battle or will trick the other player and come out with the puck.

Bennett seems to prefer to send the opponent flying if possible, but will quickly curl out with that puck maneuver that he does so well. He often uses it to drive shortside after selling a wraparound.

It's a valuable skillset to have when many of our other top players tend to stay away from them if possible.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post: