Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 09:57 PM   #461
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

For those who are wondering why utilities have a hard time coming into reserves, I can 100% truthfully say that a reserve near calgary has had a few residents show up with rifles and ready to shoot while I and other people were simply trying to maintain Alberta's high voltage equipment. The resolution was for this company to pay this band for "security" in case a similar incident happened.

Examples like this also lead to not getting adequate utilities and this one specific incident falls directly at those individuals feet.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:18 AM   #462
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I spent a summer working in and around the Morley reserve, water treatment plants for the reserve needed to be protected with barb wire and strong fencing, and all the government building first floor windows had to be bullet proof or they would be smashed.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:40 AM   #463
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Does anyone think that giving a day on the calender means anything.

I mean frankly on Labor Day I'm not thinking about labor movement, and unions and stuff.

On Christmas, when I was a kid I'd go to church, but nowdays I don't think about the birth of Christ and tearfully raise a toast to the son of god.

On good Friday I don't gather the kids around and tell them stories about the Roman's nailing Christ to a couple of two by fours.

So while I would be grateful for another paid day off, I'm not going to be doing anything but yelling "If you kids back there don't quit messing around, we're turning this car around and going back to Regina"

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 08-16-2018, 08:45 AM   #464
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

You go to a remembrance day ceremony don't you? Maybe on this day we can go to an indigenous ceremony and learn a bit more.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2018, 09:27 AM   #465
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
You go to a remembrance day ceremony don't you? Maybe on this day we can go to an indigenous ceremony and learn a bit more.
I would imagine - like remembrance day - a very small % of people will go to a ceremony unless forced (school for example).

I would never say no to another stat holiday though.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:30 AM   #466
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I dont think they're going to fall for that again...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 08-16-2018, 10:35 AM   #467
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I would imagine - like remembrance day - a very small % of people will go to a ceremony unless forced (school for example).

I think the point is that holidays are what you make of them. If they’re just a day off to you, they’re just a day off regardless of why. But you do at least have an option to actually go and use the day as purposed. Not everyone celebrates Christmas, or Easter, or cares about Remembrance Day, or spends time with Family on family day, etc etc, but these days are available to many to do just that.

For many, the day off will be nice. For others, it’ll be a great chance to actually go remember, pay respects, and hopefully celebrate Indigenous culture. It’s just good to have a day off where you can actually do that, if you want.
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2018, 10:38 AM   #468
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

Sure I go to remembrance day, it has personal meaning to me, but I don't go around forcing other people to go for example.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:41 AM   #469
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
You might feel differently if you ran a business already struggling with rising minimum wages and skinny margins.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:22 AM   #470
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
You might feel differently if you ran a business already struggling with rising minimum wages and skinny margins.
I suppose that depends on the business. But I would expect people would just use your business/service on another day, with no net loss of revenue. I mean, it wasn't that long ago that all stores were closed every Sunday.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:30 AM   #471
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I suppose that depends on the business. But I would expect people would just use your business/service on another day, with no net loss of revenue. I mean, it wasn't that long ago that all stores were closed every Sunday.

I think it is more to do with having to pay staff extra holiday pay if they're open.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:33 AM   #472
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Does anyone think that giving a day on the calender means anything.
Quote:
Sure I go to remembrance day, it has personal meaning to me, but I don't go around forcing other people to go for example.
This new holiday will have meaning for others even if it doesn’t mean much to you. The same as Remembrance Day has meaning for some but not all, even though I personally believe that Remembrance Day should be a federal stat because IMO what is being remembered means something to everyone even if some believe the holiday itself does not.
The Following User Says Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2018, 11:34 AM   #473
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

give me an indigenous parade, festival or some food and I'll go

Old 08-16-2018, 11:36 AM   #474
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Yeah, not all businesses. I have a business that’s unaffected by minimum wages. I wasn’t thinking about losing a sales day but having to pay staff for one more day off when a business may already be struggling as many are (service industry, for example). I also think this a knee-jerk reaction.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:51 AM   #475
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
This new holiday will have meaning for others even if it doesn’t mean much to you. The same as Remembrance Day has meaning for some but not all, even though I personally believe that Remembrance Day should be a federal stat because IMO what is being remembered means something to everyone even if some believe the holiday itself does not.

A holiday on its own is meaningless, people are going to treat it as a holiday, to me it does nothing to educate or to reconcile, its just a meaningless day where people think of it as a day off, not rememberance day, or easter or whatever, its "Yah a long weekend"

The thing with rememberance day is its almost become meaningless to a majority of Canadians because we're really stopped teaching about things like WW1 and WW2 and Korea and Canada's role in it for example. Also because that older generation that could be the reason for it, who the stories are talking about are dying out.

Its going to be the same thing with Reconcilliation day.

How about instead they just declare that a school day needs to be dedicated to Remembrance Day or Reconciliation day and all discussions that day in school is all about education on that subject. It seems more meaningful to me, then just a day off.

Old 08-16-2018, 12:43 PM   #476
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
I also think this a knee-jerk reaction.
In what way?
Old 08-16-2018, 02:40 PM   #477
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I vaguely remember somone proposing that since the Treaties were all in effect peace treaties between us and other native nations, we could simply re-declare war and take over their lands.

A little extreme but you certainly don't have to apologize once you've finally conquered all their lands.

MAKE LANGEVIN BRIDGE AGAIN
Old 08-16-2018, 03:09 PM   #478
RatherDashing
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
A holiday on its own is meaningless, people are going to treat it as a holiday, to me it does nothing to educate or to reconcile, its just a meaningless day where people think of it as a day off, not rememberance day, or easter or whatever, its "Yah a long weekend"
This is just one part of the TRCs Calls to Action, K-12 education is also included in it.

For reference:
http://www.trc.ca/websites/trcinstit...n_English2.pdf
The Following User Says Thank You to RatherDashing For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2018, 03:10 PM   #479
RatherDashing
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I also think this a knee-jerk reaction.
How do you mean? This was a recommendation made in 2015 by a committee formed in 2008, seems like it's been in the works for a while.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RatherDashing For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2018, 03:25 PM   #480
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
I vaguely remember somone proposing that since the Treaties were all in effect peace treaties between us and other native nations, we could simply re-declare war and take over their lands.

A little extreme but you certainly don't have to apologize once you've finally conquered all their lands.

MAKE LANGEVIN BRIDGE AGAIN
What's the point of a comment like this, except to hurt?
Closed Thread