Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-06-2018, 12:29 PM   #521
Redlan
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Humboldt Broncos tragedy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
A person has been arrested and charges laid in connection with the accident; no other information as of yet but a news conference has been scheduled: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...rash-1.4736826

RCMP Commanding Officer Assistant Commissioner Curtis Zablocki will be part of this news conference. His sons, Josh and Lane, both played at a high level including Lane being drafted in 2017. He coached my son in Atoms.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Redlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 12:41 PM   #522
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Does this mean they have put together enough evidence to support that he was under the influence of alcohol/drugs or simply negligence?
Negligence causing death would be my guess, could be impairment but I would imagine those charges would have been laid earlier.
N-E-B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 01:04 PM   #523
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Driver arrested.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 01:16 PM   #524
Mattman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Man I know that the driver was in the wrong, but if it turns out just to be negligence I still feel really bad for him.

People run stop signs all the time, this is just a really extreme outcome.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:21 PM   #525
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman View Post
Man I know that the driver was in the wrong, but if it turns out just to be negligence I still feel really bad for him.

If it wasn't kids, the outcome would not be as hard.
Johnhitbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 01:29 PM   #526
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

This is probably a stupid question but where would a trial be held if it got to that point?
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 01:30 PM   #527
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...rges-1.4736826

Quote:
The driver of the tractor-trailer that collided with the Humboldt Broncos team bus has been arrested and charged, RCMP announced on Friday.

Truck driver Jaskirat Singh Sidhu is facing 16 counts of dangerous operation of a motor vehicle causing death and 13 counts of dangerous operation of motor vehicle causing bodily injury.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 01:53 PM   #528
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Connor, It's Mess View Post
This is probably a stupid question but where would a trial be held if it got to that point?
My (guess) thoughts is it would be at a court close to the scene of the accident. So Nipiwan, Tisdale etc. (I don't know for sure where there are court houses in that part of Sask). At least that may be where the initial hearing is, but if the defence argues successfully a fair trial could not be conducted here then they could move elsewhere. Anywhere in Saskatchewan I would think.

The charges are not surprising and seem pretty generic. Will be interesting to hear what how the Crown argues this case.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 01:58 PM   #529
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not excusing his actions, but I would not be at all surprised if fatigue was a factor - most truckers are on the road too long.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2018, 02:00 PM   #530
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman View Post

There's a difference in doing a rolling stop in a residential neighborhood and blowing through a stop sign on a major highway. I have to turn often at uncontrolled intersections along HWY 1 and I'm never more alert while driving, specifically because there are so many crashes when people don't pay enough attention
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2018, 02:05 PM   #531
FireFly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
My (guess) thoughts is it would be at a court close to the scene of the accident. So Nipiwan, Tisdale etc. (I don't know for sure where there are court houses in that part of Sask). At least that may be where the initial hearing is, but if the defence argues successfully a fair trial could not be conducted here then they could move elsewhere. Anywhere in Saskatchewan I would think.

The charges are not surprising and seem pretty generic. Will be interesting to hear what how the Crown argues this case.

14 years max for each death and 10 years each for bodily injury. Will be interesting to see if they run concurrent or not when it comes time for sentencing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
If edmonton wins the cup in the next decade I will buy everyone on CP a bottle of vodka.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 02:07 PM   #532
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly View Post
14 years max for each death and 10 years each for bodily injury. Will be interesting to see if they run concurrent or not when it comes time for sentencing.
Canadian judges don't usually do consecutive. Also, the case law says you reserve the maximum penalty for the very worst examples of the transgression. The media always talks about "could face up to X years" and then the public feels let down when it's less. They should probably give the range.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 02:38 PM   #533
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Wasn’t the stop sign somewhat hidden by trees? I think there was a photo going around.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 02:42 PM   #534
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Wasn’t the stop sign somewhat hidden by trees? I think there was a photo going around.
looks wide open and unobstructed

edit - the picture does show the trees blocking his south bound view of Hwy 35 from which the bus was coming

Last edited by Canada 02; 07-06-2018 at 03:04 PM.
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2018, 02:59 PM   #535
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, stop sign unobstructed. Probably didn't see the bus, but not an excuse.

He didn't even have to be going fast to cause the horrific damage as long as the bus was. So if he did a trucker rolling stop to avoid have to completely gear down and back up, that could easily explain it.

I bet he pleads out.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 03:00 PM   #536
FireFly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Yeah, stop sign unobstructed. Probably didn't see the bus, but not an excuse.

He didn't even have to be going fast to cause the horrific damage as long as the bus was. So if he did a trucker rolling stop to avoid have to completely gear down and back up, that could easily explain it.

I bet he pleads out.

He was going fast enough to push the bus all the way across the road. He wasn't just gearing up or the wreckage would've been further North instead of West.
Quote:
If edmonton wins the cup in the next decade I will buy everyone on CP a bottle of vodka.
The Following User Says Thank You to FireFly For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2018, 03:01 PM   #537
dre
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Remember Daniel Tschetter? Drove a cement truck while drunk wiped out a family and I think he only served 3 years. I don't think he gets any time.
dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 03:06 PM   #538
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Judging by where the wreckage is, it appears the semi was driving through that intersection just as fast as the bus. If he were rolling through, the wreckage should have remained on Hwy 35.

The driver also said that the sun was in his eyes, and so he didn't see the stop sign, which suggests he hadn't slowed down.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2018, 03:06 PM   #539
FireFly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre View Post
Remember Daniel Tschetter? Drove a cement truck while drunk wiped out a family and I think he only served 3 years. I don't think he gets any time.

5 1/2 years but that was manslaughter and obstruction of justice. Different charges this time.
Quote:
Old 07-06-2018, 03:11 PM   #540
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
He was going fast enough to push the bus all the way across the road. He wasn't just gearing up or the wreckage would've been further North instead of West.
Yes, I've heard similar things that where the wreckage ended up, it suggests the truck was going at a fairly high rate of speed (not stopping at all versus rolling through or stopping and then going again when unsafe).
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote